is this animal abuse?

saif961
1 hour ago, dizmo said:

If there's a litter box in there, it immediately gets a 0 ?

Why? You shit in the toilet and the cat shits in the box. The bathroom is made for shitting. To me its the perfect place to put a litter box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, saif961 said:

so i always wake up and throw her in the bathroom till i fully wake up which leaves her in the bathroom for hours

Yes, obviously! You haven't said if you also put her food, water, and litter in there too but I'm guessing you don't. Like someone else has said, she's probably scared of the new environment. Show her that you care and there's nothing to worry about, but you've shown quite the opposite. And just like dogs, cats also like attention and getting petted.

How long has this been going on?

How old is she and is she spayed?

Edit: https://www.hillspet.com/cat-care/cat-breeds/persian

The Persian needs to have her nutrition controlled to stay in good condition. Since the breed is not known for a high degree of energetic exercise, attention must be paid to both her nutrition and regular exercise. That means the Persian must get exercise to keep in top condition. While Persians like to play with their parents and will play with interactive toys, you might have to keep after them to exercise daily.

The flat face must be cleaned regularly and carefully as tear stains can be deposited on the face.

I wouldn't lock a cat up in a bathroom, but leaving it on a different floor of a house with food and water, litterbox would be fine.

Alternatively its not nice, but it isn't that that abusive (compared to way worse alternative) to scare a cat, yell, pose etc, run at it to get it to stop doing a behavior.  You have to be consistent with training to bind negatively reinforcement though or its all for waste, likewise kind to it at other times of day, then it will eventually get message.  If you know how to scare cats without physically touching them should be fine, think like a animal, they react to emotions, physical communication, not words ofc.

I've owned two older cats, introduced too late into eachothers lives that hated eachother but kept fighting for same space, and only way to set boundaries is by being intentionally scary at one when it crossed others boundries, don't hurt or touch them in anger, just make it clear you mean business. 

training is wise, just watch a bunch of youtube videos

the dog whisperer guy is a good guy to watch, he now has his son involved, and its all to do with the owners not the animal itself.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:
  • Hallway
  • Closet
  • Mudroom
  • Spare room

There are countless options other than that ?

If you have a mudroom then that means you have a laundry room with a back door. I do not want cat poop with laundry. My house doesn't have a hallway. If you have a spare room then you're an anomaly and you don't have much to say cause you're cat probably has their own door in the mudroom.

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

training is wise, just watch a bunch of youtube videos

the dog whisperer guy is a good guy to watch, he now has his son involved, and its all to do with the owners not the animal itself.

he might of beeen a meme, but he wasn't a joke

Your cousin's cat that they gave to you is meowing because they want their very own suite along with a mini fridge and 24 hour service

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

She's either trying to get used to her new environment, find her usual companions if any, and/or trying to let you know that she needs to hunt or play. Cats need a fair bit of space vertically. They don't like cramped spaces if they can't find a good lookout point.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 12/5/2019 at 10:52 PM, Donut417 said:

Why? You shit in the toilet and the cat shits in the box. The bathroom is made for shitting. To me its the perfect place to put a litter box. 

spacer.png

So the cartoon I watched when I was little, where they draw cats singing at night are actually true.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 12/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, dizmo said:

Would you consider it abuse if someone locked you in a bathroom for hours on end?

Cats are not the same as humans.

No this in no way is animal abuse. provided you are not starving the cat.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, Syaoran said:

Yes, obviously! You haven't said if you also put her food, water, and litter in there too but I'm guessing you don't. Like someone else has said, she's probably scared of the new environment. Show her that you care and there's nothing to worry about, but you've shown quite the opposite. And just like dogs, cats also like attention and getting petted.

How long has this been going on?

How old is she and is she spayed?

Edit: https://www.hillspet.com/cat-care/cat-breeds/persian

The Persian needs to have her nutrition controlled to stay in good condition. Since the breed is not known for a high degree of energetic exercise, attention must be paid to both her nutrition and regular exercise. That means the Persian must get exercise to keep in top condition. While Persians like to play with their parents and will play with interactive toys, you might have to keep after them to exercise daily.

The flat face must be cleaned regularly and carefully as tear stains can be deposited on the face.

The cat doesnt need food and water every second. They go hours without it on their own.

Locked in the bathroom or locked in his room while he sleeps is the same thing. unless he keeps cat food and a water bowl in his room.

My dog sleeps on the bed with us. we shut our door at night. so she goes 7-9 hours without food and water and shes just fine.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:39 PM, RonnieOP said:

Cats are not the same as humans.

That's a pretty stupid stance. Very few living things like being trapped in a small room like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I mean, aslong as you give it plenty of attention for the rest, its quite alright. But i think that might be your problem. Not enough attention. Cats take loads of attention

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's a pretty stupid stance. Very few living things like being trapped in a small room like that.

Them not liking it does not make it abuse.

My dog doesnt like taking a bath. Its nit abuse when i give her one.

The question wasnt "does my cat like this". It was "is this abuse". And not this is not in any way abuse.

Just let her out the house. Cats are night active. Some People shouldnt have pets. And yes, it is abuse.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Them not liking it does not make it abuse.

My dog doesnt like taking a bath. Its nit abuse when i give her one.

The question wasnt "does my cat like this". It was "is this abuse". And not this is not in any way abuse.

That's kind of the definition of abuse, but sure bud. Believe what you like.

A bath is not the same as being locked in a room.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, Praesi said:

Just let her out the house. Cats are night active. Some People shouldnt have pets. And yes, it is abuse.

idk about that. my friend's cat got ran over by a car and one time my cat got lost for like 2 months im never letting her out again. though she doesnt seem to want to go out anymore either. 

I wonder if there is a reward for ratting out an animal abuser, if there is a reward then how much is it, if there is not a reward then there should be a reward.

55 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk about that. my friend's cat got ran over by a car and one time my cat got lost for like 2 months im never letting her out again. though she doesnt seem to want to go out anymore either. 

We have 2 dogs and two cats and the cats can go when ever they want. Its life, shit can happen, but at least they have a life.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Agreed - one is necessary hygiene - another is potentially putting the animal in a small room that can have real and long lasting psychological consequences.

Half the reason why animals like cats or dogs severely misbehave is because they were treated poorly (for example, repeatedly getting locked into a tiny room with no food, no water, no toys, and no "toilet" [litter box, etc] - especially when all they likely wanted was attention and love).

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

Additionally, indoor cats statistically live a lot longer and have a lot less medical problems then cats that are allowed to roam free outside. My cats are indoor cats and outside of supervised excursions to my backyard while on a leash and a harness, my cats will stay indoor cats.

24 minutes ago, Praesi said:

We have 2 dogs and two cats and the cats can go when ever they want. Its life, shit can happen, but at least they have a life.

A cat that has spent it's entire life being able to go outside is one thing - it has learned how to survive. Shoving an indoor cat outside to fend for itself is a good way to let the cat die or get severely injured/sick.

If you're going to take an indoor cat and let it outside, you need to do it in steps to allow the cat to adjust and to learn.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Your definition of abuse is doing something they dont like?  Thats just retarded.

How do you know what the cat likes? How do you know its upset to be put in the room?

The cats not starving, not  being hurt, etc. Its just being put in a room. Hes not abusing the thing lol.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Your definition of abuse is doing something they dont like?  Thats just retarded.

It's not wrong because they don't like it - it's wrong because it's harmful to their psychological health. Animals (especially pets that must coexist with humans) have needs that must be met for them to be of sound mental health. Most behavioral problems with pets are caused by humans mistreating them.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

How do you know what the cat likes? How do you know its upset to be put in the room?

It might be okay for a little while, but common sense dictates that after a while the animal needs to be let out. Cats are nocturnal, meaning they typically don't sleep at night. Additionally, their natural instincts drive them to play, hunt (or play hunt), etc. Night time is when cats are most active. Unless the bathroom is massive (which I doubt, given the fact that there doesn't seem to be a better, larger room to put the cat in - therefore I assume a small apartment), then locking a cat inside the bathroom for 7-9 hours with no food, water, toys, etc - is definitely abuse.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

The cats not starving, not  being hurt, etc. Its just being put in a room. Hes not abusing the thing lol.

How do you know it's not starving? As far as we're aware, there is no food in the bathroom.

Also just because it's not being physically injured does not mean it isn't causing harm.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not wrong because they don't like it - it's wrong because it's harmful to their psychological health. Animals (especially pets that must coexist with humans) have needs that must be met for them to be of sound mental health. Most behavioral problems with pets are caused by humans mistreating them.

It might be okay for a little while, but common sense dictates that after a while the animal needs to be let out. Cats are nocturnal, meaning they typically don't sleep at night. Additionally, their natural instincts drive them to play, hunt (or play hunt), etc. Night time is when cats are most active. Unless the bathroom is massive (which I doubt, given the fact that there doesn't seem to be a better, larger room to put the cat in - therefore I assume a small apartment), then locking a cat inside the bathroom for 7-9 hours with no food, water, toys, etc - is definitely abuse.

How do you know it's not starving? As far as we're aware, there is no food in the bathroom.

Also just because it's not being physically injured does not mean it isn't causing harm.

Your basing everything off assumptions.

Most people dont take their cats to work/school with them. So most cats will spend most of the day alone.

Hell they spend the vast majority of the day asleep. Cats sleep 16+ hours a day. 

Im assuming the cat isnt starving. If you want to assume that he is starving his cat then thats on you lol. But theres no evidence to show hes starving it.

Have you ever seen what a cat does at night when everyone is sleeping? Nothing. If they are inside they may go eat or use the litter box But for the most part they are laying around.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Your basing everything off assumptions.

Aren't we all? You are too. Until the OP makes further clarifications, I can only go off what he said, and make reasonable assumptions from the initial base information.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Most people dont take their cats to work/school with them. So most cats will spend most of the day alone.

True - and during that time, the cat has lots of time to play, pretend hunt, run around the house/apartment, and generally enjoy not being locked inside a bathroom - if they don't decide to spend that time sleeping, anyway.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Hell they spend the vast majority of the day asleep. Cats sleep 16+ hours a day. 

The average is actually 15 - but yes, cats sleep a lot. Except during night time, when they are at their most active.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Im assuming the cat isnt starving. If you want to assume that he is starving his cat then thats on you lol. But theres no evidence to show hes starving it.

We have no idea of the condition of the cat that is locked into a bathroom all night. The OP made no mention of putting food in the bathroom with the cat, so it's a reasonable assumption to make that the cat is being locked into a room for ~8 hours with no food or water (though depending on if the seat is down, the cat could drink out of the toilet to avoid severe dehydration).

But, considering a cat sleeps on average for 15 hours a day, and is locked into a room for 8 of the remaining 9 hours of wakefulness, that only leaves one hour for the cat to eat it's entire days worth of food and water.

It might not be starving in the medical sense, but it'd likely be damn hungry, and definitely too long without eating.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Have you ever seen what a cat does at night when everyone is sleeping? Nothing. If they are inside they may go eat or use the litter box But for the most part they are laying around.

You cannot make that statement with any authority - it HIGHLY depends on the individual cat. Just like people, each cat is different, with different personalities, etc.

Some cats will be running around very active - especially if they receive little to no attention during the evening (no play time, no encouragement to exercise, etc).

Some will indeed just sit around or sleep or whatever - but that's not some universal rule.

My cats tend to run around a lot at night - usually in sporadic bursts.