(edit: CES) Two arms are better than one - Seagate release dual actuator HDD for Microsoft

williamcll

On the notion of "internally RAID0" and adding more things decreases fault tolerance, here's some thoughts:

• Multi-platter drives by default are "internally RAID0." And most HDDs are multi-platter
  • Having two independent actuators may not decrease fault tolerance. It's not confirmed the two sets of heads will actually run in a RAID0 style, but may run in JBOD or something similar. In any case, having two independent actuators means if one is toast, the drive is still useful, just that half the platters are not. So depending on how the data is laid out when one group dies, some data my not be lost and you can still repurpose the drive for other uses until a replacement can be made.

Single head per platter + platter based data parity when?

Could easily recovery from a single headcrash/loss of a platter with just a scratch disk and rebuilding from parity. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

6 hours ago, porina said:

I struggled to see much advantage to this when it was first shown, and I still don't get it now. It's essentially two hard disks in one box, with the advantages and disadvantages that comes with it. There's still one head per side, so the only advantage is that the heads on each half of the drive can move independently of each other? I think having more than one head per side would help more, both in increasing throughput per platter and seek times.

I suppose that instead of being one slow 14tb drive it's two slow 7tb drives within 1 slot (so depending on how the system sees the drive/how the drive manages data, it could have some raid-like stripe benefits) but I agree that more heads per drive seems to be a better solution no1 is seemingly trying.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

if it isn't as cheap as QLC/PLC SSDs I doubt it would be competitive.

Hard Drives still have something over SSD's. Capacity and price. 

On newegg a 10 TB hard disk is $250~ just over $300 USD. I cant even find a 10 TB SSD on newegg. The biggest I found was a Samsung 7.6TB for $1,499. I can litterally buy like 4 10TB hard disks for that price. The price isnt going to be a concern for someone who is looking for mass storgate and needs a bit of performance. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I wonder if HDD's could still be viable solution for the future if we manage to split heads to individual ones between each platter. Imagine having 1 head per platter, so you'd have 4 independent heads on 4 platter drives. It could read and write to 4 platters fully independently.

Now double it, being able to read the top and bottom side of each platter independently.  :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I don’t know how this tech would do much for consumer drives.  They’re mostly single platter. Especially for laptops.  I vaguely recall some company or other in the past actually putting more than one drive arm opposite each other (so 2 read/write heads a side) on a single platter in an attempt to increase speed.  I don’t remember how it turned out.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know how this tech would do much for consumer drives.  They’re mostly single platter. Especially for laptops.  I vaguely recall some company or other in the past actually putting more than one drive arm opposite each other (so 2 read/write heads a side) on a single platter in an attempt to increase speed.  I don’t remember how it turned out.

Any HDD with 4TB have more than one I think.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Any HDD with 4TB have more than one I think.

true But are they the top selling ones?  I just did a pcpartpicker search on mechanical hard drives by popularity.  The top 4 were one or 2tb. #5 was 3tb. Didn’t hit a 4tb till #7 and the next one was a 16tb iron wolf pro.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This technology sounds really cool. Still can't comprehend what it's all about, still curious about the sequential read/write speeds for it though.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

13 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Having two independent actuators may not decrease fault tolerance. It's not confirmed the two sets of heads will actually run in a RAID0 style, but may run in JBOD or something similar. In any case, having two independent actuators means if one is toast, the drive is still useful, just that half the platters are not. So depending on how the data is laid out when one group dies, some data my not be lost and you can still repurpose the drive for other uses until a replacement can be made.

I think people are mostly just confused over the wording used. These don't (I'm certain but could be wrong, this is not fact) show up as multiple disks that, statement was around the single disk performing as if it were two, hence appears to the application as being serviced by two disk performance wise. It's no different to saying an application sees and SSD as if it were 10 HDDs, performance wise. It's still one physical addressable device.

There's a very good reason why you wouldn't make it appear as two disks, disk replacement and failure behavior. What happens if one actuator fails? Now you have to cleanly fail the data odd the 'second disk' or is the disks set to make both fail in that situation? What about data resiliency? How do you ensure that data is adequately spread across disk slots to maintain correct failure domains.

Above issues are all solvable but it doesn't seem likely to me that you would have a single disk appear as two just because of the technical limitations and risks that would introduce. All anyone really cares about is the performance and two independent actuators that can read and write independently gives this performance increase and solves the most performance limiting scenario for HDDs, simultaneous  read and writes to the same disk. Simultaneous read/write is crippling, worse than halved performance as the seeking is compounding to the performance loss, this alone is enough reason to jump over to dual actuator disks, for anything not archival.

There's a very minor increase in failure chance just by the nature of having two motors to drive actuators over one before, both those very rarely fail.

Edit:

Never mind, for Microsoft these are two disk devices in one 3.5" disk bay.

“That has been key to developing the first iteration of the MACH.2 architecture, using dual LUNs with SAS — which fits Microsoft’s data center architecture and reasonably reflects what other large CSPs may do.”

For those that don't understand what a LUN is this is basically an identifier for a block device, every disk has these so having two means there are two block devices. This means they are seen as two literal different disks/block devices to the OS etc. A RAID array is a single LUN as an example of the more technical difference between a disk and a LUN, hence called block device not disk.

But there are different configurations coming.

As the Exos 2X14 dual-actuator hard drive program moves forward and expands, the drive family will be available in multiple flavors and SKUs to accommodate a full profile of enterprise use cases.

Something of note is that the actuator movement is actually one of the most reliable things in the drive.  It is just magnetic positioning.

My only concern with this is really that the pivot point and bearings may cause more vibration than a single actuator head moving, depending on access patterns, even though it probably causes less in general use since half the mass is moving all at once.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

There's a very minor increase in failure chance just by the nature of having two motors to drive actuators over one before, both those very rarely fail.

The increase in failure depends on how the system uses it. Look at airplanes, they duplicate a lot of critical features for the sole purpose of having a higher chance of survival.

Great way to improve speed really. More I/O per TB is important with increasing capacities. I also wonder how come higher RPM also didn't become more standard along. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I also wonder how come higher RPM also didn't become more standard along. 

• Higher RPM is loud
  • You can only spin something so fast before the centrifugal forces break the thing
  • A lot of high RPM drives had less areal density than their slower spinning counterparts, which negated any bandwidth improvements. This is why the last WD VelicoRaptors used 2.5" platters.

Higher RPM was more for better seek times, which is what kills storage performance in a lot of use cases.

8 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:
  • Higher RPM is loud
  • You can only spin something so fast before the centrifugal forces break the thing
  • A lot of high RPM drives had less areal density than their slower spinning counterparts, which negated any bandwidth improvements. This is why the last WD VelicoRaptors used 2.5" platters.

Higher RPM was more for better seek times, which is what kills storage performance in a lot of use cases.

Yeah, I thought about it, the less areal density sure is one issue. More power and heat too, so probably not a good trade for it's benefits. I guess certain cases sure. 

I remember reading about 20 000 RPM prototype one time, though it never was released. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, I thought about it, the less areal density sure is one issue. More power and heat too, so probably not a good trade for it's benefits. I guess certain cases sure. 

I remember reading about 20 000 RPM prototype one time, though it never was released. 

I also recall someone doing a test where they took a 7200 RPM drive, modified the firmware to make the heads only access the equivalent of a 2.5" platter, and found they got performance almost on par with a 3.5" 10K RPM drive

I really don't get why this, or more than 2 actuators, wasn't done sooner if HDD performance was such a problem.

This could have been done year ago?

Double the cost for head replacement. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

23 hours ago, redbread123 said:

i am so dumb, I never knew HDD had more than one "disc"

23 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

They do comes in multiple platters too, 4 is the most I've seen, but it depends on the size.

Apparently my 16TB Seagate Ironwolfs have 9 platters.

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know how this tech would do much for consumer drives.  They’re mostly single platter. Especially for laptops.

Not true at all. 2.5" drives typically still use 1TB platters, so anything above that uses multiple ones. My 5TB 2.5" ones have, you guessed it, 5 platters. For 3.5" drives it seems to be around 1-1.5TB/platter max usually. I've taken apart many dead drives, and I've never come across a single-platter 3.5" model. Since there is enough height in 3.5" drives it makes little sense to put a single dense platter in a smaller capacity drive, easier and cheaper to put multiple less dense ones. Last I opened was a 2TB 3.5" one and it has 3 platters.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, SADS said:

I really don't get why this, or more than 2 actuators, wasn't done sooner if HDD performance was such a problem.

This could have been done year ago?

I'm going to guess that a lot of hardware manufacturers simply incrementally improve what's current until their customers demand more and they've hit a wall.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, porina said:

I struggled to see much advantage to this when it was first shown, and I still don't get it now. It's essentially two hard disks in one box, with the advantages and disadvantages that comes with it. There's still one head per side, so the only advantage is that the heads on each half of the drive can move independently of each other? I think having more than one head per side would help more, both in increasing throughput per platter and seek times.

this is an improvement, but i agree with you, they just have to move the disk down, and place another head on the top of the drive 

Wasn't this already a thing from a while back? I remember seeing it before.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Huh, I stripped a lot of 500gb and less drives out this summer. Old drives mind. Most had multi platters.

21 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Huh, I stripped a lot of 500gb and less drives out this summer. Old drives mind. Most had multi platters.

Yeah.  The older the drive the more platters it has for smaller size and the more expensive per gb it is.  Disk packs had 10 platters

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_pack