New 2070 Super Troubleshooting

Ghrawt

Hey everyone! 

Just upgraded my GTX 1070 to a brand new 2070 super. Package came in and I was really excited to get it installed and get gaming. After I had installed the latest BIOS and drivers, the GPU is just not performing as I would have expected. I'm running these games on a 1440p/144hz monitor. I was getting around 40-50 fps in Red Dead Redemption 2, 60-70 FPS on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, 130-150 FPS in Overwatch. in short, I am getting similar, if not worse, performance on my new 2070 super as I was with my 1070. 

I am at work right now so I wont have an opportunity to troubleshoot as suggestions come in, but what do y'all think my issue is? I am planning on giving them a shot when I get back home. 

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ Stock 

GTX 2070 Super

MSI X370 SLI Plus

Corsair Vengence 16 GB @ 3000mhz

EVGA 750 watt 80+ Gold 

Let me know what you think!

2 minutes ago, Ghrawt said:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ Stock 

most likely you are bottlenecked by your CPU

Just now, boggy77 said:

most likely you are bottlenecked by your CPU

I was thinking this might be the case. I was playing games and kept an eye on my GPU usage, at it wasn't even reaching high percentages of usage.. like in the 50% and 60% range in some cases. 

Just now, Ghrawt said:

I was thinking this might be the case. I was playing games and kept an eye on my GPU usage, at it wasn't even reaching high percentages of usage.. like in the 50% and 60% range in some cases. 

keep an eye on cpu usage as well. if that goes to 100%, that's what's limiting your fps. I'd start by trying to overclock it.

Just now, boggy77 said:

keep an eye on cpu usage as well. if that goes to 100%, that's what's limiting your fps. I'd start by trying to overclock it.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion!

You can run a benchmark or two to see if your system performs as it should. These are around the numbers you should get in 3DMark FireStrike and TimeSpy (both included in the demo of 3DMark:

image.png.ed064a7ada5deb470a972d94d5f69a8a.png

These are the numbers from my own system, with a 2070 Super and R7 1700 (stock). That should be similar performance as to what you have.

If performance does not line up, I would recommend a clean GPU driver install, using DDU to uninstall your drivers.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

You can run a benchmark or two to see if your system performs as it should. These are around the numbers you should get in 3DMark FireStrike and TimeSpy (both included in the demo of 3DMark:

These are the numbers from my own system, with a 2070 Super and R7 1700 (stock). That should be similar performance as to what you have.

If performance does not line up, I would recommend a clean GPU driver install, using DDU to uninstall your drivers.

Thanks for these numbers! Ill test these and see what I get when I'm home from work. 

7 hours ago, minibois said:

Did Time Spy and Firestrike. My numbers are the same at yours on the GPU side. 

Hmmm Maybe i was just expecting a bigger fps gain in some of these games.