Last Second Feedback - About to Pull the Trigger on the Build

I'm looking to do an overhaul of my rig and through research and careful picking came up with this:

It's about as high of a budget I'm capable of spending, though up to $1000 is bearable if it's a significant enough bump in performance. I'm looking for feedback and suggestions of how I can tweak and adjust things to make things that much smoother. 

Also a question, the compatibility notes mention some things:

• Note: The MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
  • Note: The Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard.
  • Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

I'm not 100% sure if they're things I should focus on and was hoping someone could fill me in. Thanks!

Hello,

Get any other X570 than this one, it's one of the worst or get a MSI B450 MAX (A-Pro, Tomahawk, Gaming Plus).

This cooler is not better than the included cooler so get a NH U14S instead.

4 minutes ago, Fatsuno said:

Note: The MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

You don't need the additional 4 pin and change that mobo.

4 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

Get any other X570 than this one, it's one of the worst or get a MSI B450 MAX (A-Pro, Tomahawk, Gaming Plus).

This cooler is not better than the included cooler so get a NH U14S instead.

You don't need the additional 4 pin and change that mobo.

I have some tiny plans to slot a second M.2 or NVME, so X570 is what I needed. Any recommendations with that in mind? 

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

GPU?

Currently using a Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB card. It's the only "new" part in my build.

6 minutes ago, Fatsuno said:

I have some tiny plans to slot a second M.2 or NVME, so X570 is what I needed. Any recommendations with that in mind? 

This build would do well, also if your aim is mostly gaming, get a 3600 instead as there is not a big gap in terms of performance with the 3700x but it will save money.

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

This build would do well, also if your aim is mostly gaming, get a 3600 instead as there is not a big gap in terms of performance with the 3700x but it will save money.

I didn't see a 3600 from the Ryzen 7 line, but I might not have looked hard enough.

Just now, Fatsuno said:

I didn't see a 3600 from the Ryzen 7 line, but I might not have looked hard enough.

3600 is R5 ;) 

Just now, Plouffe said:

3600 is R5 ;) 

Is it worth down-gen'ing to R5? Future-proofing is a side goal as well. Don't want to be caught needing the same overhaul in 1-2 years. 

1 minute ago, Fatsuno said:

Is it worth down-gen'ing to R5? Future-proofing is a side goal as well. Don't want to be caught needing the same overhaul in 1-2 years. 

If you game only, 6c/12t will last you a while, if you stream or do work, the 3700x is better :) 

If only gaming, there won't be a big difference between the 3600 and 3700, the next real improvement in gaming will come from the 4000 series.

I've added a better cooler and better (and cheaper) ram and a better motherboard

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

If you game only, 6c/12t will last you a while, if you stream or do work, the 3700x is better :) 

I guess it's worth noting I stream, though I don't stream anything super intense. Mainly digital card games and the occasional MMO.

Is the number of cores/threads the primary difference between the two chips? 

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

If only gaming, there won't be a big difference between the 3600 and 3700, the next real improvement in gaming will come from the 4000 series.

I've added a better cooler and better (and cheaper) ram and a better motherboard

Oh man! Two of my favorite things! Better and cheaper! Thank you! ?

3 minutes ago, Fatsuno said:

Is the number of cores/threads the primary difference between the two chips? 

yes, the 3600 id 6c/12t, the 3700 is 8c/16t. in terms of clock speeds, they are similar. There aren't many games yet that can use more than 8 threads, so the 3700 is only useful if you do something intensive (like streaming) while you're also gaming

Just now, boggy77 said:

yes, the 3600 id 6c/12t, the 3700 is 8c/16t. in terms of clock speeds, they are similar. There aren't many games yet that can use more than 8 threads, so the 3700 is only useful if you do something intensive (like streaming) while you're also gaming

Would there be a dramatic performance loss if something like the 3600 or 3600x were used for gaming + streaming? 

2 minutes ago, Fatsuno said:

Would there be a dramatic performance loss if something like the 3600 or 3600x were used for gaming + streaming? 

Go with 3700X and you won't have to worry about any of that if you're willing to pay extra money which is justified imo.

3600x will give you couple of bucks in your pocket and "I should've gotten the 3700x" thoughts.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

1 minute ago, CrusaderBug said:

Go with 3700X and you won't have to worry about any of that if you're willing to pay extra money which is justified imo.

3600x will give you couple of bucks in your pocket and "I should've gotten the 3700x" thoughts.

Looks like that's what the benchmarks point to. Honestly, the extra $100 to beastmode past any issues with streaming once I become super famous and make millions off streaming 3rd tier digital card games, is probably worth it.

5 minutes ago, Fatsuno said:

Looks like that's what the benchmarks point to. Honestly, the extra $100 to beastmode past any issues with streaming once I become super famous and make millions off streaming 3rd tier digital card games, is probably worth it.

Once you start making millions, you need to come back here and gift an equivalent rig to everyone who helped you build your money machine.

A writer, a dreamer, a philosopher, a caring son, a loving bf & 13 other frightened individuals have filed restraining orders against me.

1 hour ago, Fatsuno said:

If you want to save some money on the board then the B450-A Pro is a decent choice. You can get an adapter for wifi if you need that for around $25 - $30.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max