ASUS PG279Q @165Hz = ghosts/artifacts?

Squeeeeeeeps

Just bought this monitor and am wondering how well the boosted 165hz (w/ G-sync enabled) display really works...

Is it the real deal, or is it basically just a marketing gimmick that leaves ghosting and artifacts in it's wake?

21 minutes ago, Squeeeeeeeps said:

Just bought this monitor and am wondering how well the boosted 165hz (w/ G-sync enabled) display really works...

Is it the real deal, or is it basically just a marketing gimmick that leaves ghosting and artifacts in it's wake?

The 165hz option is ..165hz ..its real.

While ghosting does have a link to frequency, its not as you make it sound.

Ghosting is a result of slow pixel response time.

increasing frequency 'often' , but not always , speeds up pixel response time due to the way the panel is driven.

Most modern high frequency panels have an 'overdrive' setting.

As frequency changes with overdrive enabled, pixel response times 'can' also change. As a result u 'may' need to increase or lower overdrive as u change frequency.

The PG279Q however doesnt have very gradual OD settings. its ether off, normal, or extreme. Extreme causes overshoot, this is effectively inverse ghosting. (light trail instead of a dark trail) this can be far more noticeable than traditional ghosting.

So if u choose to use the factory OC of 165hz, ull have to decide between OD off or normal.

The Pixel response of the PG279Q is actually rather good for an IPS so u shouldnt notice any more ghosting than u would on any other good IPS display. Though its not as fast as a good TN panel.

Ghosting is objective, it can be measured, but its also subjective. How much it takes to be noticeable is different for each person, and how 'bad' it is, is based on a person experience with other displays.

if you havnt seen it yet here is a good tested review of the panel so you can compare.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279q

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I pretty sure it'll be okay but i'd get cheaper 144Hz display instead, it's not like these extra 20 FPS would be a big game. Get LG Ultragear for 380$.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

11 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

increasing frequency 'often' , but not always , speeds up pixel response time due to the way the panel is driven.

As frequency changes with overdrive enabled, pixel response times 'can' also change. As a result u 'may' need to increase or lower overdrive as u change frequency.

The PG279Q however doesnt have very gradual OD settings. its ether off, normal, or extreme. Extreme causes overshoot, this is effectively inverse ghosting. (light trail instead of a dark trail) this can be far more noticeable than traditional ghosting.

So if u choose to use the factory OC of 165hz, ull have to decide between OD off or normal.

The Pixel response of the PG279Q is actually rather good for an IPS so u shouldnt notice any more ghosting than u would on any other good IPS display. Though its not as fast as a good TN panel.

Ghosting is objective, it can be measured, but its also subjective. How much it takes to be noticeable is different for each person, and how 'bad' it is, is based on a person experience with other displays.

if you havnt seen it yet here is a good tested review of the panel so you can compare.

Big thanks for the quick and detailed reply ?

I was under the impression that OC the Hz led to artifacts and whatnot from a video Linus did on some 240Hz monitor that boosted to 265Hz or something. 

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

I pretty sure it'll be okay but i'd get cheaper 144Hz display instead, it's not like these extra 20 FPS would be a big game. Get LG Ultragear for 380$.

I'll look into that one

14 minutes ago, Squeeeeeeeps said:

Big thanks for the quick and detailed reply ?

I was under the impression that OC the Hz led to artifacts and whatnot from a video Linus did on some 240Hz monitor that boosted to 265Hz or something. 

NP

Exceeding the display connection bandwidth by increasing frequency, which can happen depending on the version used, can force the format to compress data from 444 chroma to 422 chroma for example, this can cause minor artifacts.

Also , LTT, while they are certainly getting better (its good to see them starting to refer to rtings, its a solid site.), they haven't always used the correct terminology.

I remember Linus calling 'ghosting' , 'artifacts' in a overview before (perhaps the same one ur referring to).

While 'technically' ghosting is a type of artifact, usually u call ghosting . .ghosting .. and 'artifacts' usually refers to 'glitches' and 'errors' in the displayed image (fuzzing around edges, up-sampling artifacts etc), similar to what u would get by overclocking ur GPU to high.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

• 9 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, SolarNova said:

Thanks man for your information, very valuable. I own the PG279Q and I love it, I have always used it with the 144Hz settings that came from factory, never tried to overdrive it up to 165Hz cause read some information about weird stuff I could experience, seems this weird stuff is the inverse ghosting, so my questions are: is it safe to OD up to 165HZ?, I use the monitor for gaming, is it going to benefit me after I OD it?, and finally, If I try the OD up to 165Hz and I dont like it, can I always go back to the 144Hz factory settings?, thanks in advance for your information and tips!

6 minutes ago, Jose Alvarez said:

Thanks man for your information, very valuable. I own the PG279Q and I love it, I have always used it with the 144Hz settings that came from factory, never tried to overdrive it up to 165Hz cause read some information about weird stuff I could experience, seems this weird stuff is the inverse ghosting, so my questions are: is it safe to OD up to 165HZ?, I use the monitor for gaming, is it going to benefit me after I OD it?, and finally, If I try the OD up to 165Hz and I dont like it, can I always go back to the 144Hz factory settings?, thanks in advance for your information and tips!

OD (overdrive) is used to speed up pixel transition speed. Not the panels refresh rate.

If ur Display has a built in 165hz (factory overclock) option, u can try it, should be an option in the Monitor OSD.

Theres no danger in using it, Monitor overclocking doesnt affect voltages or power, it will either work or it wont. Since its a factory OC, it should work.

As for benefit. ull get the same type of benefit u get from going from 60hz to a higher refresh, more frames (if ur system can hit 165fps in the game ur playing)

21 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

OD (overdrive) is used to speed up pixel transition speed. Not the panels refresh rate.

If ur Display has a built in 165hz (factory overclock) option, u can try it, should be an option in the Monitor OSD.

Theres no danger in using it, Monitor overclocking doesnt affect voltages or power, it will either work or it wont. Since its a factory OC, it should work.

As for benefit. ull get the same type of benefit u get from going from 60hz to a higher refresh, more frames (if ur system can hit 165fps in the game ur playing)

Thank you very much for your response!, already did it and it is working perfectly!