my power supply PCI—E shows that that theirs 14 connectors but my gpu has 16?

saif961
Go to solution Solved by OrionFOTL,
2 minutes ago, saif961 said:

so if i use the VGA3 cables and connect it to the GPU it'll work?

You know VGA stands for Video Graphics Array, right? And that your currently plugged PCIe cables are plugged into VGA2? If it wouldn't work, what else would the cables be for? Sure, that's how you're supposed to plug it.

im almost finished installing my pc but i noticed the PCIE that is connected to the power supply has 14 connectors wires but my 2080ti has 16 slots that connects the PCIE what should i do?

5 minutes ago, saif961 said:

im almost finished installing my pc but i noticed the PCIE that is connected to the power supply has 14 connectors wires but my 2080ti has 16 slots that connects the PCIE what should i do?

So what your saying that you have 1x 6 pin and one 6+2 pin PCIE power cables? You need 2x 6+2 pin, if not get a bigger PSU or if modular check if you got some spare cables laying around. This is how it should be:

MO0441.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Nothing. the 2 8 pin connectors have some shared pins that wont always be connected since they are redundant.

Pin 5,7,8 are GND those share a common connection at the PSU anyway.

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

So what your saying that you have 1x 6 pin and one 6+2 pin PCIE power cables? You need 2x 6+2 pin, if not get a bigger PSU or if modular check if you got some spare cables laying around.

i own a 850 bronze evga and an asus strix 2080ti so their not supported?

the end at the PSU doesnt matter. 

PCIe cables may have less connectors on the PSU end, but it will have the required ammount on the GPU end 

mine has 6 at the PSU end, but 8 at the GPU end. other PSU manufacturers may do it differently. 

3 minutes ago, saif961 said:

its supported, you just need to plug the correct cable end in .the one labeled PCIe at the GPU end. and PSU and the PSU end. 

10 minutes ago, saif961 said:

Which one?

EVGA BQ 850W
EVGA B2 850W
EVGA B3 850W

Some EVGA Power Supplies come with PCIe cables that have 8pin + 6pin on each cable. You would need to use multiple cables and plug in the 8pin from each and leave the 6pin connector dangling.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Which one?

EVGA BQ 850W
EVGA B2 850W
EVGA B3 850W

Some EVGA Power Supplies come with PCIe cables that have 8pin + 6pin on each cable. You would need to use multiple cables and plug in the 8pin from each and leave the 6pin connector dangling.

EVGA BQ 850W

EVGA BQ 850W

The EVGA BQ 850W has three PCIe cables which each have both a 6pin and 6+2pin (8pin) PCIe connector on the end. You will need to use two separate cables coming from the PSU and use the 8pins from each cable.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The EVGA BQ 850W has three PCIe cables which each have both a 6pin and 6+2pin (8pin) PCIe connector on the end. You will need to use two separate cables coming from the PSU and use the 8pins from each cable.

but there is no 2 separate cables coming from the psu theirs only these

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

but there is no 2 separate cables coming from the psu theirs only these

What did you do with the rest of the cables that came with your power supply?

Just now, Spotty said:

there all next to me but i dont see any 2 pins anywhere in the box

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

what if i use the vga 8 pins in the gp would that work?

my 2080ti asus strix needs 16 pin connectors but my evga bq 850w powersupply only has 14 PICE connectors and i cant find the 2 extra pins in the box what should i do?

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

Threads merged. Don't make multiple posts asking the same question.

11 minutes ago, saif961 said:

my 2080ti asus strix needs 16 pin connectors but my evga bq 850w powersupply only has 14 PICE connectors and i cant find the 2 extra pins in the box what should i do?

Those in the first picture do not look like the original cables.

Get a new PSU if yours didn't come with the right cables. Even if it did, this PC is basically 'office level', not 1000 USD GPU level.

Something like a Corsair TXM/RM/RMX or Be Quiet Straight Power 11 would be a good choice:

550-650W would be all good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, saif961 said:

In your hand you're holding a cable with two connectors on one end (a 6pin and a 6+2pin), and one connector on the other end (8pin), currently plugged into your PSU.

Your power supply comes with three cables like this. You're holding one of them right now, so you have two more cables exactly like that one.

Take one of those identical cables, and plug it exactly the same as the cable you're holding. Which means you plug the end with the one 8pin connector to the PSU (to the VGA3 slot next to the current one), and on the other end there's one 6pin and one 6+2pin connector.

So now you'll have two cables plugged to your PSU, each cable ending with two connectors; a 6pin and 6+2pin. Take one 6+2pin connectors each from both cables and shove them into your graphics card.

5 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

In your hand you're holding a cable with two connectors on one end (a 6pin and a 6+2pin), and one connector on the other end (8pin), currently plugged into your PSU.

Your power supply comes with three cables like this. You're holding one of them right now, so you have two more cables exactly like that one.

Take one of those identical cables, and plug it exactly the same as the cable you're holding. Which means you plug the end with the one 8pin connector to the PSU (to the VGA3 slot next to the current one), and on the other end there's one 6pin and one 6+2pin connector.

So now you'll have two cables plugged to your PSU, each cable ending with two connectors; a 6pin and 6+2pin. Take one 6+2pin connectors each from both cables and shove them into your graphics card.

2 minutes ago, saif961 said:

You know VGA stands for Video Graphics Array, right? And that your currently plugged PCIe cables are plugged into VGA2? If it wouldn't work, what else would the cables be for? Sure, that's how you're supposed to plug it.

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

You know VGA stands for Video Graphics Array, right? And that your currently plugged PCIe cables are plugged into VGA2? If it wouldn't work, what else would the cables be for?

thank you for telling me i've been stuck for hours i had no idea what VGA meant tbh lol