Seagate Personal Cloud Dieded

NineEyeRon

Well the drive failed in my seagate personal cloud. It booted to the OS but that then failed when I did a factory reset. The Hard drive (volume) was listed as not available and I did all I could to make it work again. I have concluded it is a lost cause as I can’t even access in anyway now, even though it shows up connecting to the network.

We mainly used it as a Plex machine and a local backup of photos but that is less important now as we use cloud.

So I am in the market to replace it and have absolutely no idea where to start.

I pretty much just need a plex machine for one user at a time but I would like a similar footprint to the personal cloud.

The old machine sat under my router on a narrow shelf, so the 23cm width, 12cm depth and 5cm height were ideal.

I have no idea where to start finding something to replace it in the same footprint that would be quiet and a great plex machine, that fits on a shelf 16cm deep (room for cables etc)

The location in our living room also means it needs to be quiet, so a clicking and whirring monster is not what I am after.

Any ideas on where to start? Budget can flex up to £200 for the base machine and then I buy the drive(s) as I need them. I only need 2TB to start.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I am in a similar situation minus the NAS dying that is.  I just did a massive clean up of a QNAP 2 bay NAS, and one drive is showing warnings in SMART.

I am actually thinking of what can I replace the QNAP with since it is now overkill for what I need it for to be able to store maybe 1-2 TB of media and a PLEX server that is like you used by maybe 1-2 people at a time max while having the same or smaller foot print than the QNAP.

Would be nice to have it in a RAID 1 setup but i do not think it is that important as I can backup the media to an external drive and if it is lost, it would not be a huge deal.

Having the drive die and still see the thing on the network just means the controller card in the enclosure is still working. As far as a Plex box setup for one user goes, you can pretty much grab anything PC wise. I have an old Dell mini-tower running as a Plex server. Dropped a 10TB drive in it and I store some miscellaneous crap on there from other computers on my network. If you are not doing hard transcoding, Plex will run on lots of configurations. A good small machine would be an Alienware Alpha if you can scrounge a used one up. They are tiny and have a decent processor. I use one as a desktop in the electronics lab because of it's size.

6 hours ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

As far as a Plex box setup for one user goes, you can pretty much grab anything PC wise. I

I don’t have space for that.

Needs to have same footprint.

2 hours ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

Hence why I suggested an Alienware Alpha...

Good shout, I wonder if it can take a 3.5 HDD?

Off to research as found one on ebay currently at £100