Lenovo X395 Ryzen not using almost any Shared GPU Memory

Hi, i'm not really sure if this thread goes here, if not, i'm sorry.

I recently purchased a Lenovo X395 Thinkpad and, although it is mainly for work, i was under the impression that the Ryzen 3500u could handle a few games on low settings. (I've watched some videos playing Overwatch, GTA 5, etc., of course, with similar specs than mine)

Anyway, Overwatch with everything low and 75% is giving me around 60 fps unstable. The thing is i've noticed that although the GPU usage is 80% to 90%, the memory usage is low. It is using 0.4 to 0.8 of it's 2gb of dedicated memory and 0.1 of it's 8gb of shared memory. Is there anyway to use more memory? and if so, will this increase performance in the gpu?

This is what i've tried:

1. I've created an energy plan that doesn't limit the PCI Express energy (the factory energy plan had everything limited to increase battery life), that didn't make any improvements.
  2. I've used the FN+Q combination on the laptop that seems to increase the fan speed. This gave me a few extra FPS.
  3. I've checked a lot of forums and it seems that to achieve maximum performance with a Ryzen 3500U you need dual channel RAM. I've checked and i have dual channel.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen PRO 3500u
DDR4 16gb RAM Dual channel
512 GB SSD

Any ideas to increase performance? Is there a way to use more of it's memory?

Thanks a lot

Have you installed the Radeon drivers?

Laptops usually are very slow at updating these, or dont update them at all. 

So id pick those up manually or through radeon software

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Have you installed the Radeon drivers?

Laptops usually are very slow at updating these, or dont update them at all. 

So id pick those up manually or through radeon software

Hey, thanks! I did update the drivers. In AMD site if you pick manually my processor is not listed, but i downloaded the automatic driver detection and installed the latest drivers. 

9 minutes ago, myyyralles said:

Hey, thanks! I did update the drivers. In AMD site if you pick manually my processor is not listed, but i downloaded the automatic driver detection and installed the latest drivers. 

did you match the resolution they were using in the games?

i can see 75%, but usually people set it down to 720p. 

OW results are a bit odd. memmory speed?

edit: it is possible there are conflicts with the included driver and the one you installed. 

would perhaps work if you DDU and then reinstall the drivers. as that would clear out those installed by the manufacturer. 

I've matched it, and even lowered it and it is 720p. I've actually watched a video playing it on 1080p with 50% scale and 75% scale and it still had better FPS than im getting. 

16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 SDRAM SODIMM

12 minutes ago, myyyralles said:

I've matched it, and even lowered it and it is 720p. I've actually watched a video playing it on 1080p with 50% scale and 75% scale and it still had better FPS than im getting. 

16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 SDRAM SODIMM

please remember to quote. 

sadly i dont really have a great suggestion outside of DDU and reinstall drivers. or doublecheck that you are using the non-pro drivers for the GPU in Radeon software

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

please remember to quote. 

sadly i dont really have a great suggestion outside of DDU and reinstall drivers. or doublecheck that you are using the non-pro drivers for the GPU in Radeon software

Sorry. Hmm, im note sure how do i check if it is non-pro drivers for the GPU? According to the Radeon software im using
19.30.03.01-190910a-346940C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019.

5 minutes ago, myyyralles said:

Sorry. Hmm, im note sure how do i check if it is non-pro drivers for the GPU? According to the Radeon software im using
19.30.03.01-190910a-346940C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019.

well its pretty obvious when its the pro drivers installed. 

so if you havent noticed, that is probably not the case. 

another thing might be that the CPU is configured to a lower TDP level, which could limit the clocks. sadly im not great at troubleshooting. so i dont really have a lot more input. 

Thanks a lot, i will try DDU and reinstalling. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:42 AM, myyyralles said:

Thanks a lot, i will try DDU and reinstalling. 

UPDATE: No luck with the DDU, it's giving me between 30 to 70 fps very inconsistent. 

Anyone has any ideas? Does it matter that the GPU is only using like 0.1 GB of 8 GB of shared memory? 

Thanks to anyone.

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, myyyralles said:

UPDATE: No luck with the DDU, it's giving me between 30 to 70 fps very inconsistent. 

Anyone has any ideas? Does it matter that the GPU is only using like 0.1 GB of 8 GB of shared memory? 

Thanks to anyone.

I also have a Ryzen 3500u Laptop and I will tell you that these laptops have a very low TDP for the CPU. They have a MAX of 35 WATTS. But, Most manufacturers even ASUS the manufacturer for my laptop has lowered the power budget for the cpu to about 15 Watts for efficiency. you can however google the term ryzenad. I have had mixed success with it. it will allow you to push the limit of the power budget for the CPU and GPU/APU. Good Luck!