Home server in a basement?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'll do it right...

So, here's my problem :

I'm weeling to create a overclocked home game server. It will be a i5 6600K with 16G of ram and only a SSD.

The problem is that were my networking equipments are, I'm recording videos, and I don't want to have the server's background noise added to the actual room noise.

So, seen that I have direct acces to my house's basement with pipes dedicated to ethernet and power, do you think I can put this server in the basement?

I'm a little bit scared that maybe moisture and humidity can affect the electronic, but I'll dont put hard drives in it, only SSD, so, IDK.

THe other thing is that I'll be overclocking, so because the temperature stays at 13°C (about 55°F) at all time, summer and winter, I think this would be avery nice opportunity!

And I'll add that the basement is very well ventilated, there is a air exaust with a fan running 24/7, and a air inlet directly connected to the outside.

So, yeah, should I try to put it there? I'll take a computer case that have filters so I'll not be bothered by the dust or spiders.

Thanks for helping me !

If your basement has high humidity or moisture, then you have bigger problems than it affecting electronics, call a building surveyor cause ya'll need to fix that asap. 

If you have a "normal" dry basement then it's no issue at all. My gaming PC is in my basement, as is my FILs home business server...no issues at all. 

22 minutes ago, iMot3k said:

I'm a little bit scared that maybe moisture and humidity can affect the electronic

Would definitely recommend checking the humidity-levels in the basement first before putting anything in there. I would like to make use of my basement for similar purposes, but the sensors I've installed there say that it's 87% humidity there at the moment and it very often goes all the way up to 99% -- not a good place for a server.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Would definitely recommend checking the humidity-levels in the basement first before putting anything in there. I would like to make use of my basement for similar purposes, but the sensors I've installed there say that it's 87% humidity there at the moment and it very often goes all the way up to 99% -- not a good place for a server.

Ok, I'll check that, thanks. I've forgot to tell that I've seen something developping under some wood, IDK if it's moisture or a type of mushroom, but I don't know if it's something that I should be worried of

Here is the only image I have of it, took this right before we put the logs on. It's some white things...

Screenshot_1.jpg

41 minutes ago, iMot3k said:

It's some white things..

That mold.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

59 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That mold.

So I really can't ?

You need better ventilation or a dehumidifier in there, the mold is soon to be a pretty major health concern (at least for some people). This looks like more of a crawl space, I'm assuming there isn't vapor barrier under the gravel?

As for putting a server down there, I'd personally do it, but there is some risk. I've had several servers running on a mezzanine in an unconditioned warehouse, and around here its 100+ degrees and 90%+ humidity all summer long, one was in those conditions for nearly a decade without having a single problem. As best as I can remember I never had a problem with any of the servers.

My server rack at home is under the stairs and closed in with a pocket door, while it gets a tiny bit of ventilation I just checked the sensors and its currently at 90 degrees and 60% humidity, I don't check often enough to know if that is year round or not, but it sounds about what I remember it being last time... Most of those servers were installed 6 years ago, still haven't had a failure on any of them or the networking gear in there.

12 hours ago, Scheer said:

You need better ventilation or a dehumidifier in there, the mold is soon to be a pretty major health concern (at least for some people). This looks like more of a crawl space, I'm assuming there isn't vapor barrier under the gravel?

As for putting a server down there, I'd personally do it, but there is some risk. I've had several servers running on a mezzanine in an unconditioned warehouse, and around here its 100+ degrees and 90%+ humidity all summer long, one was in those conditions for nearly a decade without having a single problem. As best as I can remember I never had a problem with any of the servers.

My server rack at home is under the stairs and closed in with a pocket door, while it gets a tiny bit of ventilation I just checked the sensors and its currently at 90 degrees and 60% humidity, I don't check often enough to know if that is year round or not, but it sounds about what I remember it being last time... Most of those servers were installed 6 years ago, still haven't had a failure on any of them or the networking gear in there.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll see what I'll do with these informations :)

I use the saying "If you are uncomfortable it is uncomfortable." I try to keep operations 75-80 degrees F and no more than 70% humidity. I have operated higher and the only thing that I noticed once was BMC started to tell me that it was hot, other than that no problems.

If it is a problem it won't kill it right away - I'd put it down there and inspect it every day for the first week, then weekly afterwards. Look for rust and/or condensation on the casing. You could also just put an old computer down there (even if it is 20 years old) to see if it will survive.

I'd definitely clean it monthly, or part of the weekly inspections - check dust levels.

My basement is finished all for but one room, and that's where my server lives. Going 5 years strong.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:30 PM, Mikensan said:

If it is a problem it won't kill it right away - I'd put it down there and inspect it every day for the first week, then weekly afterwards. Look for rust and/or condensation on the casing. You could also just put an old computer down there (even if it is 20 years old) to see if it will survive.

I'd definitely clean it monthly, or part of the weekly inspections - check dust levels.

My basement is finished all for but one room, and that's where my server lives. Going 5 years strong.

Yeah, I found a solution. I'll put it in the garage instead. It's under ground level anway so it's staying in low temperatures all year, and the humidity here is much lower.