Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Unbox Therapy accused of copying PITAKA phone case, copyright abuse & fake giveaways

18 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Unbox Therapy is simply rebranding an already knock-off version available off the Chinese distributors.

that happens all the time

i am sure unbox therapy wanted easy cash, so they did not make anything, just simply chose a case and bought them wholesale to jack up the prices.

funny thing is china can take unbox therapy to court and have a field day

good luck vice versa

3 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Looks like a dbrand skin if you ask me.

it most likely is

and its probably a counterfeit piece made with toxic materials

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

funny thing is china can take unbox therapy to court and have a field day

good luck vice versa

Can they really? I thought China didn't care about copyright laws.

But this is all just accusations to stir up drama, we don't know for sure if Unbox Therapy just bought cases from a supplier in China, or if they actually copied a design. If someone can sue for a similar looking case then dbrand should sue for everyone else for making vinyl device skins.

an outsider of china, going into china to sue a chinese company/org/govt is a hopeless cause, a waste of time.

a china corp, sueing a usa corp happens all the time, doesnt even need to be a legitimate cause, maybe chinese corp lawyers arent busy so why not keep them busy and hope for a settlement. maybe thats not the goal, maybe the goalof the chinese corp is defamation.

They both look like completely generic cases that you could find from one of those mall kiosks that sell dozens of crap cases imported from China. Lew likely either bought the cases from somewhere like Alibaba or direct from whichever Chinese factory PITAKA uses to make their cases.

20 hours ago, porina said:

The question then is, how do you draw a line between a close copy, an "inspired by", or they look similar because that's the only practical way to do it?

this aspect i'm more intrigued of, because there are vehicle companies out there who depend on AI to recursively iterate a design for aerodynamics. imagine if they all end up with similar physical designs o_o

(oh great, this draft survived the move to test posts O_O)

Other than the pattern on my back (which I also have on part of my phone case, not from that phone case brand), how can you really differ in terms of phone case form?

You first off start with a mold of something around the phone.. add a little protection around the parts where you need it (e.g. around the perimeter of the screen and corners) and remove excess (around ports and buttons).

Now you either design it further, or stop and apply a pattern like these two products have done.

They could have designed these cases entirely independent of each other, slapped the same material on the back (which is a very common pattern, coincidentally in the same direction) and marked it up by 2000% or more.

I'm gonna need to see substantial proof (or rather the court I guess) the phone case brand actually designed this and where they differ from the Chinese norm.

As of now, it feels like a phone case brand seeing someone have the same/similar design and see they (Lew/Unbox Therapy) are a larger entity and just want to ride off the popularity of drama.

"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

They both look like completely generic cases that you could find from one of those mall kiosks that sell dozens of crap cases imported from China. Lew likely either bought the cases from somewhere like Alibaba or direct from whichever Chinese factory PITAKA uses to make their cases.

That's what I think,  given how common the Chinese designs are (where the only difference is the sticker the buyer requests) it really isn't hard to believe that they both happened to use the same manufacturing agent and because they both requested the same material they got the same product.  Unless other evidence surfaces this is the most likely explanation.   The reason we don't see Cigweld (ESAB) suing Ozito or hobart over their wire feed welders is because they are all Chinese designs and not actually the product of those companies.   Same with P.A speakers,  amplifiers home audio, a large amount of tools on  Ebay and harbor freight.  

Frankly if this is the situation then who can blame unboxed for pulling down all the videos regarding pitaka.    Trying to ruin someones reputation for having the audacity to import a generic Chinese product is a pretty low thing to do.

Mind you if evidence appears that it isn't a generic Chinese product (that I have seen several of from different makers already) then I would say suck shit to unboxed because I don't like him and that's what you get.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

23 hours ago, Arika S said:

as soon as i saw the video, my first response was: "he did not make this..."

I was under the impression he was working with a company, like buying bulk from Aliexpress, or working with a store/customiser like LTT do... but if the warehouse/customiser sells to Unbox AND Pitaka, it's not Lews problem... but not cool of him to pretend they are !my" designs, if just Aliexpress bulk orders (he could add value with custom art/quality control still, so I don't care about price/labelling).

13 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

but if the warehouse/customiser sells to Unbox AND Pitaka, it's not Lews problem

that's what i originally thought to, but like i said in a previous post, the fact he hid/deleted the Pitaka case review video is essentially him admitting that he knew and therefore loses all credibility

On 12/5/2019 at 5:01 AM, Lathlaer said:

I just hope it will not end up like Caselabs against Thermaltake.

(Yes, that is an extreme example of how relying on court decision to form your opinion can be misleading ;-))

That's an extreme example of "how to let your company go out of business and screw over your customers, because you refused to partner with another company to make your products more accessible".

totally not butthurt at all about my inability to get parts for my SMA8 magnum.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

That's an extreme example of "how to let your company go out of business and screw over your customers, because you refused to partner with another company to make your products more accessible".

totally not butthurt at all about my inability to get parts for my SMA8 magnum.

"make with us or we'll outmake you to your death"? ._.

31 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"make with us or we'll outmake you to your death"? ._.

That's essentially what happened.

I'm just pissed because I can't get the side mount lower section drive cages for this machine. I could have some made, but I'd also need to have the damned mount for them made.

Damn you Caselabs, damn you for going out of business and leaving me fucked over. I wish someone would at least release blueprints for all their parts so we could at least have them custom made.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

that's what i originally thought to, but like i said in a previous post, the fact he hid/deleted the Pitaka case review video is essentially him admitting that he knew and therefore loses all credibility

Possibly. Might also be a false copyright claim against his channel. Without knowing if he REALLY did work with the company for his custom "clips" (IIRC from his video), then that's the bit where he deceived people. "I curated the best product" vs "I designed the best product" is lying absolutely, but we need to be clear where he lied (he did not for example promise a Unicorn. ;) ).

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Possibly. Might also be a false copyright claim against his channel. Without knowing if he REALLY did work with the company for his custom "clips" (IIRC from his video), then that's the bit where he deceived people. "I curated the best product" vs "I designed the best product" is lying absolutely, but we need to be clear where he lied (he did not for example promise a Unicorn. ;) ).

Video was deleted the day before his supposed case came out. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

On 12/5/2019 at 5:20 AM, Arika S said:

as soon as i saw the video, my first response was: "he did not make this..."

Yeah, my immediate thought was 'wait, doesn't a case almost exactly like this already exist?' A family friend had one for their 6s like 3 years ago... Looked exactly the same, ultra thin, carbon fibre look...

Current:
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper:
- CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.8Ghz all cores

- GPU: Reference RX Vega 64
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz
- Storage: 256GB Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Black HDD
- Displays: Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Precision M6700:

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.8Ghz all cores Currently @ 3.4GHz trying to fix weird issues
- dGPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM

- eGPU: MSI Armour RX 480 4GB
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x 1TB WD Black HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display With 120Hz Input Mod!

5 hours ago, minibois said:

Other than the pattern on my back (which I also have on part of my phone case, not from that phone case brand), how can you really differ in terms of phone case form?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Most cases are designed for a specific model of phone, so the cutouts for the camera, power, volume and charging areas are all going to be nearly identical to maintain base functionality of the device. Aside from those areas, you will want to protect the phone as much as possible, so it's safe to assume the others will all be mold-fitted around the entirety of the phone. It's extremely difficult to differentiate from a basic protective shape of a given phone, unless you offer features like removable plastic plugs for charging/audio ports, and other creature comforts like kick stands. The pattern used on both of these cases also exists on cases elsewhere in the market, so I doubt you can consider their specific use of the same pattern/shape to be a blatant copy.

The real shady part of this story is the allegations that UT is hiding videos prior to launching this product, and potentially copyright striking any criticism.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

this aspect i'm more intrigued of, because there are vehicle companies out there who depend on AI to recursively iterate a design for aerodynamics. imagine if they all end up with similar physical designs o_o

It's called "Formula 1", no need for imagination :P

5 hours ago, minibois said:

They could have designed these cases entirely independent of each other

In a world where the YT channel never made a review of the other case and later removed it before launching its own case, yes, it could have been entirely independent... But in this one...?

Well, it could easily end well if he's not acting suspicious. I mean, if you stand by what you said, your design, etch, why you go so far as to remove your old video about the PITAKA case and that stupid copyright strike?, if he didn't do that, and just stick with his reasoning that he didn't satisfied with the current options available, he could easily gone through it without the stupid controversy. But heck, it's a massive free advertising!, which could be something someone wanted in the first place.

10 hours ago, cpenchoen said:

Good summary video for those that don't want to read through everything. 

I find it funny (and a little annoying from the self righteousness displayed) how youtubers are popping up who analysis and critic other bigger youtubers of their channel & drama. 

31 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

I find it funny (and a little annoying from the self righteousness displayed) how youtubers are popping up who analysis and critic other bigger youtubers of their channel & drama.

Analyzing and reaction videos is how you get traction as a small time youtuber.

I can't count all the small 5-15k sub channels that flooded my recommended YT tab with reactions to the Verge build.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Ofc it's a factory rebrand it's literally what everyone does

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers