Unbox Therapy accused of copying PITAKA phone case, copyright abuse & fake giveaways

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

They both look like completely generic cases that you could find from one of those mall kiosks that sell dozens of crap cases imported from China. Lew likely either bought the cases from somewhere like Alibaba or direct from whichever Chinese factory PITAKA uses to make their cases.

Other than the pattern on my back (which I also have on part of my phone case, not from that phone case brand), how can you really differ in terms of phone case form?

You first off start with a mold of something around the phone.. add a little protection around the parts where you need it (e.g. around the perimeter of the screen and corners) and remove excess (around ports and buttons).

Now you either design it further, or stop and apply a pattern like these two products have done.

They could have designed these cases entirely independent of each other, slapped the same material on the back (which is a very common pattern, coincidentally in the same direction) and marked it up by 2000% or more.

I'm gonna need to see substantial proof (or rather the court I guess) the phone case brand actually designed this and where they differ from the Chinese norm.

As of now, it feels like a phone case brand seeing someone have the same/similar design and see they (Lew/Unbox Therapy) are a larger entity and just want to ride off the popularity of drama.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

They both look like completely generic cases that you could find from one of those mall kiosks that sell dozens of crap cases imported from China. Lew likely either bought the cases from somewhere like Alibaba or direct from whichever Chinese factory PITAKA uses to make their cases.

That's what I think,  given how common the Chinese designs are (where the only difference is the sticker the buyer requests) it really isn't hard to believe that they both happened to use the same manufacturing agent and because they both requested the same material they got the same product.  Unless other evidence surfaces this is the most likely explanation.   The reason we don't see Cigweld (ESAB) suing Ozito or hobart over their wire feed welders is because they are all Chinese designs and not actually the product of those companies.   Same with P.A speakers,  amplifiers home audio, a large amount of tools on  Ebay and harbor freight.  

Frankly if this is the situation then who can blame unboxed for pulling down all the videos regarding pitaka.    Trying to ruin someones reputation for having the audacity to import a generic Chinese product is a pretty low thing to do.

Mind you if evidence appears that it isn't a generic Chinese product (that I have seen several of from different makers already) then I would say suck shit to unboxed because I don't like him and that's what you get.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 hours ago, Arika S said:

as soon as i saw the video, my first response was: "he did not make this..."

I was under the impression he was working with a company, like buying bulk from Aliexpress, or working with a store/customiser like LTT do... but if the warehouse/customiser sells to Unbox AND Pitaka, it's not Lews problem... but not cool of him to pretend they are !my" designs, if just Aliexpress bulk orders (he could add value with custom art/quality control still, so I don't care about price/labelling).

13 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

but if the warehouse/customiser sells to Unbox AND Pitaka, it's not Lews problem

that's what i originally thought to, but like i said in a previous post, the fact he hid/deleted the Pitaka case review video is essentially him admitting that he knew and therefore loses all credibility

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:01 AM, Lathlaer said:

I just hope it will not end up like Caselabs against Thermaltake.

(Yes, that is an extreme example of how relying on court decision to form your opinion can be misleading ;-))

That's an extreme example of "how to let your company go out of business and screw over your customers, because you refused to partner with another company to make your products more accessible".

totally not butthurt at all about my inability to get parts for my SMA8 magnum.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

31 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"make with us or we'll outmake you to your death"? ._.

That's essentially what happened.

I'm just pissed because I can't get the side mount lower section drive cages for this machine. I could have some made, but I'd also need to have the damned mount for them made.

Damn you Caselabs, damn you for going out of business and leaving me fucked over. I wish someone would at least release blueprints for all their parts so we could at least have them custom made.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

that's what i originally thought to, but like i said in a previous post, the fact he hid/deleted the Pitaka case review video is essentially him admitting that he knew and therefore loses all credibility

Possibly. Might also be a false copyright claim against his channel. Without knowing if he REALLY did work with the company for his custom "clips" (IIRC from his video), then that's the bit where he deceived people. "I curated the best product" vs "I designed the best product" is lying absolutely, but we need to be clear where he lied (he did not for example promise a Unicorn. ;) ).

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Possibly. Might also be a false copyright claim against his channel. Without knowing if he REALLY did work with the company for his custom "clips" (IIRC from his video), then that's the bit where he deceived people. "I curated the best product" vs "I designed the best product" is lying absolutely, but we need to be clear where he lied (he did not for example promise a Unicorn. ;) ).

Video was deleted the day before his supposed case came out. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 12/5/2019 at 5:20 AM, Arika S said:

as soon as i saw the video, my first response was: "he did not make this..."

Yeah, my immediate thought was 'wait, doesn't a case almost exactly like this already exist?' A family friend had one for their 6s like 3 years ago... Looked exactly the same, ultra thin, carbon fibre look...

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

5 hours ago, minibois said:

Other than the pattern on my back (which I also have on part of my phone case, not from that phone case brand), how can you really differ in terms of phone case form?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Most cases are designed for a specific model of phone, so the cutouts for the camera, power, volume and charging areas are all going to be nearly identical to maintain base functionality of the device. Aside from those areas, you will want to protect the phone as much as possible, so it's safe to assume the others will all be mold-fitted around the entirety of the phone. It's extremely difficult to differentiate from a basic protective shape of a given phone, unless you offer features like removable plastic plugs for charging/audio ports, and other creature comforts like kick stands. The pattern used on both of these cases also exists on cases elsewhere in the market, so I doubt you can consider their specific use of the same pattern/shape to be a blatant copy.

The real shady part of this story is the allegations that UT is hiding videos prior to launching this product, and potentially copyright striking any criticism.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

this aspect i'm more intrigued of, because there are vehicle companies out there who depend on AI to recursively iterate a design for aerodynamics. imagine if they all end up with similar physical designs o_o

It's called "Formula 1", no need for imagination :P

5 hours ago, minibois said:

They could have designed these cases entirely independent of each other

In a world where the YT channel never made a review of the other case and later removed it before launching its own case, yes, it could have been entirely independent... But in this one...?

Well, it could easily end well if he's not acting suspicious. I mean, if you stand by what you said, your design, etch, why you go so far as to remove your old video about the PITAKA case and that stupid copyright strike?, if he didn't do that, and just stick with his reasoning that he didn't satisfied with the current options available, he could easily gone through it without the stupid controversy. But heck, it's a massive free advertising!, which could be something someone wanted in the first place.

10 hours ago, cpenchoen said:

Good summary video for those that don't want to read through everything. 

I find it funny (and a little annoying from the self righteousness displayed) how youtubers are popping up who analysis and critic other bigger youtubers of their channel & drama. 

31 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

I find it funny (and a little annoying from the self righteousness displayed) how youtubers are popping up who analysis and critic other bigger youtubers of their channel & drama.

Analyzing and reaction videos is how you get traction as a small time youtuber.

I can't count all the small 5-15k sub channels that flooded my recommended YT tab with reactions to the Verge build.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Ofc it's a factory rebrand it's literally what everyone does

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

11 hours ago, amdorintel said:

it most likely is

and its probably a counterfeit piece made with toxic materials

Pretty sure dbrand skins are toxic too, never seen them saying you should eat the vinyl and adhesive skins. And this is a case, not a skin, and dbrand's case that you can put skins on is quite different, this really isn't similar to a dbrand skin in any other way than the texture, which is just standard carbon fiber-esque stuff. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Seems like both parties are just rebranding the same Fuyao factory phone case

You can only vary a phone case design so much...

Hey! my OnePlus 6T McLaren has the same "carbon fiberous" case, too...

Image result for oneplus karbon case 

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

15 hours ago, SenKa said:

Is it accusation if it's fact?

There is truthful accusation and false accusation.  If the truth of the accusation has not been determined it’s called an allegation.  That is why you hear the word “alleged” so much regarding legal things.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:48 AM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Unbox Therapy's The Latercase:

image.thumb.png.2d96254a3413e75d540adaa501180a7f.png

PITAKA's MagEZ case:
image.thumb.png.f835463f37dfba94674e88fa6f989f91.png

Read more:

https://reclaimthenet-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/reclaimthenet.org/unbox-therapy-latercase-pitaka-case-controversy/

its a carbon fiber patern phone case for the iphone 11 i dont think they can really make a claim except that they used the same print and its for an iphone 11

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

6 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

its a carbon fiber patern phone case for the iphone 11 i dont think they can really make a claim except that they used the same print and its for an iphone 11

Where the design of the print is in the exact same spot in each product?

For example how the brighter strip just barely grazes the bottom right corner of the camera cut out. You can follow it all the way around.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Where the design of the print is in the exact same spot in each product?

For example how the brighter strip just barely grazes the bottom right corner of the camera cut out. You can follow it all the way around.

i wish it had a side view so i could see the buttons but i dont think theyres enough to sue

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

probably they just source from the same manufacturer on alibaba but its still a bit weird for him to claim that he made it. is that false advertisement?

20 hours ago, cpenchoen said:

Good summary video for those that don't want to read through everything. 

(...)

Includes Skype conversation with Pitaka CEO.

I got to watch this now... LOL

I don't know whether patent claims are valid or will hold up in court, but regardless, this youtuber guy is on his way to Billy McFarland levels of bullshit... ?

Next thing you know, we'll have Linus saying "I've never liked tool kits, so I went and make my own"... and half his videos go private

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

:P