Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LegoRaft

G.Skill Trident Z compatible with Ryzen?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi!

I’m currently planning on a build with a ryzen 5 3600, asrock B450 steel legend and 16gb of g.skill trident z rgb. But when I checked their site they have a specific kind of trident z for amd, the gtzrx, but they also have regular ram for intel, gtzr. Does it matter which one you pair with ryzen, or is it only more performance if you pair the x version with ryzen?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Trident Z thats the non specific ram and it works wonders with my Ryzen.

 

Check the serial number of the ram against the compatibility of the board on the Asrock site.


MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI , AMD Ryzen 7 2700x + Corsair H115i Pro RGB Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  2 x Samsung U28E590D 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Baracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03, Corsair Obsidian 750D Windforce Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard, Windows 10 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 2x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Kaspersky Internet Security 2020.

 

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Venegence Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Baracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Kaspersky Internet Security 2020, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

 

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Kaspersky Internet Security 2020.

 

Icybox 3640SU3

Icybox 3740-C31

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750, 2 X Samsung C410W.

 

Netgear Nighthawk R6 R8000 Cable Router with DD-WRT Using a Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

 

Samsung Galaxy S10 Mobile Phone.

 

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

you need to check out your mobo's trusted vendor list and see

 

otherwise 3600 speed is what you'll need for ryzen

 

do you want to oc?

I’m not really planning on overclocking, but wanted the possibility to be available

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, jimkirk363 said:

I have the Trident Z thats the non specific ram and it works wonders with my Ryzen.

 

Check the serial number of the ram against the compatibility of the board on the Asrock site.

Thanks! I will check the vendors

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LegoRaft said:

I’m not really planning on overclocking, but wanted the possibility to be available

hmmmm memory overclocking on a b450 board, not the wisest of moves with x570 being the goto.

 

i just got done listening to this guy, great info

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

you need to check out your mobo's trusted vendor list and see

 

otherwise 3600 speed is what you'll need for ryzen

 

do you want to oc?

So I looked up my motherboard on asrocks site and I don’t really get it, as far as the table goes, I can use DR ram in slot 1 and 4 at 3200 MHz, but how do I find out if my ram is DR or SR?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

hmmmm memory overclocking on a b450 board, not the wisest of moves with x570 being the goto.

 

i just got done listening to this guy, great info

 

 

Yeah, I know that B450 is not the wisest for overclocking, but this is my first pc I’m going to build ever, so I’m keeping the budget low, just so I can ditch my current Dell T3500 system

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tons of TridentZ sticks out there, but you may be interested in the newer (out since about a month) Trident Z Neo. 

 

They're Ryzen optimised (whatever that means) and cost about 50% less than the samsung B-die memory sticks. I got 32gb of 3600Mhz CL16 and it works perfectly at those timings. Didn't have to do anything except load XMP profile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, crotach said:

There are tons of TridentZ sticks out there, but you may be interested in the newer (out since about a month) Trident Z Neo. 

 

They're Ryzen optimised (whatever that means) and cost about 50% less than the samsung B-die memory sticks. I got 32gb of 3600Mhz CL16 and it works perfectly at those timings. Didn't have to do anything except load XMP profile.

Yeah I just got a 16gb 3200MHz set for €96,- the prices aren’t that great in the Netherlands

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 11:20 PM, amdorintel said:

is that the desired sticks, i thought bullzoid was saying v-die

Neos are Hynix CJR, which plays really nice with Ryzen and it's really close to Samsung B-die, but at half the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crotach said:

Neos are Hynix CJR, which plays really nice with Ryzen and it's really close to Samsung B-die, but at half the price.

ok so its B-die not V-die

well that guy is picky on his mobos and ram sticks, but price is an important factor for him with ram sticks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×