Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arika S

Phone with "square" corners?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Been looking to upgrade my phone since it's security patch is like 12 months out of date. I'm going to first attempt to run linage OS on it, but my last experience with Linage absolutely killed the battery life of my last phone. So in the event that happens i might just end up getting a new phone.

I dislike all the curves on new phones and want something that is aethetically similar to my current phone the Sony Xperia XA2

Image result for xperia xa2

I know there's the razer phone 2, but not sure if i trust them to make a good phone and Samsung note 9 & 10 are very close to what i want design wise but waaaay to expensive.

Budget i'd say would be $1000AUD but preferably under this as much as possible without just going full on cheap

Hmm, the square look seems to have fallen out of fashion with modern phone makers. Most everyone is rounded. The only somewhat decent phone with that that I am aware of is the Razer Phone (which you already mentioned). 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

iPhone 11

ngl, probably the phone most people should be buying in 2019. It's affordable for an iPhone (being $50 less than the XR was with much more to offer) and has stellar battery life, a fantastic camera system, along with the best SoC available in any phone.   

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

So this is an aesthetic thing.  The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets so it is a somewhat rare choice for manufacturers.  It would be form over function for most people.

What I saw of the razer phone 2 was that it was even more rounded than many at least on the bottom.  It did have a flat top when folded because it folded in half the short way.  When open it’s corners were rounded.  I suspect the razer2 will be wildly expensive as it is a folding screen phone and won’t matter.  I know of no phones with square corners and I don’t remember seeing any since the windows phones of years ago.  I wish you luck though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets

Phone goes in a compartment of my bag. Pockets my clothes have (if they even have any......) are too small for a phone anyway

razer2

razer phone 2, not the motorola razer

especially when dropped

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So this is an aesthetic thing.  The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets so it is a somewhat rare choice for manufacturers.  It would be form over function for most people.

What I saw of the razer phone 2 was that it was even more rounded than many at least on the bottom.  It did have a flat top when folded because it folded in half the short way.  When open it’s corners were rounded.  I suspect the razer2 will be wildly expensive as it is a folding screen phone and won’t matter.  I know of no phones with square corners and I don’t remember seeing any since the windows phones of years ago.  I wish you luck though.

I believe OP was referring to this phone by Razer, not the Motorola RAZR.

spacer.png

A buddy of mine has the razer phone 2, he gives it a 10/10.  Add the recent price cuts and it's an absolute steal, especially if you like the aesthetic 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A buddy of mine has the razer phone 2, he gives it a 10/10.  Add the recent price cuts and it's an absolute steal, especially if you like the aesthetic 

it's like $600AUD at the moment, which is kind of crazy. only thing i'm weary of is long term support. if it ever gets third party ROMs it would be ideal

On 12/5/2019 at 1:13 AM, Arika S said:

want something that is aethetically similar to my current phone the Sony Xperia XA2

Xperia XZ2 Compact? 5" display and it's almost the same style

Also, it runs absolutely fine Lineage OS and other custom ROMs

On 12/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, Arika S said:

Phone goes in a compartment of my bag. Pockets my clothes have (if they even have any......) are too small for a phone anyway

razer phone 2, not the motorola razer

I have the Razer 2 and have had only minor issues. The phone itself is fantastic. The audio is surprisingly good. The screen is awesome. The camera is alright as long as you don't use there camera app. I use Google camera on mine now. Battery life is good if you put it to power saving and turn off the rgb logo. The only other issue is the placement of the qi charging. It's in a slightly different area than all other phones. But once you find the spot it's easy to deal with. 

Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S

On 12/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, Arika S said:

it's like $600AUD at the moment, which is kind of crazy. only thing i'm weary of is long term support. if it ever gets third party ROMs it would be ideal

You basically cornered yourself with your combination of odd rectangle fetish, inexplicable demand for support, and budget.

New phones are going bezel-less. Sharp corners serve no purpose. You best bet is probably the first gen Razer phone, or a mid range Xperia. Sadly you cannot expect much support this way. The Xperias all have sub par batteries. 

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.