Phone with "square" corners?

Arika

Been looking to upgrade my phone since it's security patch is like 12 months out of date. I'm going to first attempt to run linage OS on it, but my last experience with Linage absolutely killed the battery life of my last phone. So in the event that happens i might just end up getting a new phone.

I dislike all the curves on new phones and want something that is aethetically similar to my current phone the Sony Xperia XA2

Image result for xperia xa2

I know there's the razer phone 2, but not sure if i trust them to make a good phone and Samsung note 9 & 10 are very close to what i want design wise but waaaay to expensive.

Budget i'd say would be $1000AUD but preferably under this as much as possible without just going full on cheap

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I really don't think there's much other than the phones you've listed. I'd get a newer phone, maybe the S10e or iPhone 11. I had an S7 but I got used to the design of the Xr very quickly

Hmm, the square look seems to have fallen out of fashion with modern phone makers. Most everyone is rounded. The only somewhat decent phone with that that I am aware of is the Razer Phone (which you already mentioned). 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

iPhone 11

ngl, probably the phone most people should be buying in 2019. It's affordable for an iPhone (being $50 less than the XR was with much more to offer) and has stellar battery life, a fantastic camera system, along with the best SoC available in any phone.   

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

So this is an aesthetic thing.  The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets so it is a somewhat rare choice for manufacturers.  It would be form over function for most people.

What I saw of the razer phone 2 was that it was even more rounded than many at least on the bottom.  It did have a flat top when folded because it folded in half the short way.  When open it’s corners were rounded.  I suspect the razer2 will be wildly expensive as it is a folding screen phone and won’t matter.  I know of no phones with square corners and I don’t remember seeing any since the windows phones of years ago.  I wish you luck though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets

Phone goes in a compartment of my bag. Pockets my clothes have (if they even have any......) are too small for a phone anyway

razer2

razer phone 2, not the motorola razer

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

especially when dropped

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So this is an aesthetic thing.  The problem is squared off corners make devices harder or insert into pockets so it is a somewhat rare choice for manufacturers.  It would be form over function for most people.

What I saw of the razer phone 2 was that it was even more rounded than many at least on the bottom.  It did have a flat top when folded because it folded in half the short way.  When open it’s corners were rounded.  I suspect the razer2 will be wildly expensive as it is a folding screen phone and won’t matter.  I know of no phones with square corners and I don’t remember seeing any since the windows phones of years ago.  I wish you luck though.

I believe OP was referring to this phone by Razer, not the Motorola RAZR.

spacer.png

A buddy of mine has the razer phone 2, he gives it a 10/10.  Add the recent price cuts and it's an absolute steal, especially if you like the aesthetic 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A buddy of mine has the razer phone 2, he gives it a 10/10.  Add the recent price cuts and it's an absolute steal, especially if you like the aesthetic 

it's like $600AUD at the moment, which is kind of crazy. only thing i'm weary of is long term support. if it ever gets third party ROMs it would be ideal

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:30 PM, Arika S said:

Phone goes in a compartment of my bag. Pockets my clothes have (if they even have any......) are too small for a phone anyway

razer phone 2, not the motorola razer

I have the Razer 2 and have had only minor issues. The phone itself is fantastic. The audio is surprisingly good. The screen is awesome. The camera is alright as long as you don't use there camera app. I use Google camera on mine now. Battery life is good if you put it to power saving and turn off the rgb logo. The only other issue is the placement of the qi charging. It's in a slightly different area than all other phones. But once you find the spot it's easy to deal with. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop