GPU power problem - can i 8 pin card with 8+6pin?

current96a

Hello all, i have just made an account here to ask some simple yet complicated question about gpu and power supply matter. 

I have CM G550M PSU that had 1 power cable with 2x8pin, but i have cut 1 off since it hanged a lot and i was stupid enough to do it. Now i kinda want to add an card that needs 8+6 pin power, but now i only have just 1x8pin. Could i power supply an r9 390 8gb card (8+6 pin req) with just 1x8 pin, or could i mix something from molex / sata power cable adapters to 6 pin? Or maybe, since the psu is modular and has bunch of 5 pin outs for midular sata and molex cables, i can find and connect 6 pin cable to those 5 pins. I have seen some like that online and coming together with some other brand psus. 

So basically, can i power r9 390 that needs 8+6 pin with just 1x8 pin cable, that was originally made to have 2x8 pin? Or can i use some molex/ sata to 6 pin adapter? Or should i find a cable ment for modular psu that connect those 5 pin outs to 6 pin gpu?

but i have cut 1 off since it hanged a lot and i was stupid enough to do it

What now ?!

CM G550M

It's not a good choice for this GPU even if it had intact power cables, replace it, that's a very power hungry GPU. Or sell that GPU and get smth more modern and more power efficient. It's on the level of AMD RX570 for example which you can get for 100$ in US, it will need 8-pin PCI-e power cable anyway tho (and therefore a new PSU).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

What now ?!

Yeah, wut? You cut a cord that's connected to your PSU?

1 minute ago, criznittle said:

Yeah, wut? You cut a cord that's connected to your PSU?

"Oooh, that cable looks so useless, i wonder why they've put it there, lemme chop it off real quick"

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Long story short, buy a new PSU. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

"Oooh, that cable looks so useless, i wonder why they've put it there, lemme chop it off real quick"

I'm wondering now where that exposed wire is hanging.
Definitely need a new PSU after that.

no mate, a cable was going from PSU to an 8 pin out + another 8 pin out from it. YOu can google and see a lot of examples, so i wont attach pictures of it now. But ether way, that one was often hanging useless for me, thus i was reading and thinking it was literally useless, blah blah ( no not talk a lot about it), and above all i didnt like it hanging, so i sliced it off. Now his death hunts me in time of need.

I knew it that someone will mention power usage, but i feel safe using that 250-300W card on 500-550W psu, since a close friend of mine used r9 290 in his personal 500W rig for 2 years untill he sold it. Hes CPU at time was FX 6300 (95tdp), and mine is i7 6700 (non k) with 65tdp.

Honestly i just kinda need an answer to best way combine what i have to use the card with what i have. If it blows it blows. So its ether to just use my 8pin from psu to power gpu that has 8+6 pin, or my 8 pin from psu + some molex / sata to 6 pin adapter, or some of those mentioned 5pin (from modular psu) to 6 pin. But i guess that last one falls out, since those 5 pins are only ment to attach sata/ molex modular cables - which again comes to molex / sata to 6 pin adapter.

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Long story short, buy a new PSU. 

Why buy a new psu when i have a perfectly good one, that can normally power any 8pin or lesser gpu without a problem.
Im limited with budget, and i wanna try a card and see if i could use it regularly,  so im figuring a best way to do it. Normally i should be able to run it, but since i sliced that 1 additional cable off (which is not normal), now i cant us it normally and have to figure most decent way to utilize it (without buying new).

Just now, current96a said:

Why buy a new psu when i have a perfectly good one

You don't have that, you have a budget PSU that you modified poorly

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Basically, you ruined a PSU by cutting off the connector. Buy a new one, the old one is not good anymore. Or find a GPU that only needs an 8-pin connector.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You don't have that, you have a budget PSU that you modified poorly

Poorly modified by cutting off wires - yes. But "in my defence", they were not in use for 2 years and probably wont be used once i get psu that can work with mentioned GPU. But that wont happen for a month or two. Other than that its very useful psu for everyday home or office build, that managed to survive a lot of storms, power outages , stoms + power outages, and above all, not the best way regulated power lines of Balkan - southeaster europe. I  mean i dont even get the idea why it is bad, but fuck that, i need other info.
So please, can we stop talking about power supply, since i genuinely think it will work fine For My Needs, and move on with a topic and finding a best way to connect what i have.

4 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Basically, you ruined a PSU by cutting off the connector. Buy a new one, the old one is not good anymore. Or find a GPU that only needs an 8-pin connector.

If i were in position of buying a new adequate PSU for 300W GPU i wouldnt be here and asking stupid questions from above, and above all i probably wouldnt try to work with now 4-5 yr old card, but would buy a newer card with same or even better performance which use less power (only 8pin). 
jesus, i asked here for a best solution out of some ideas that practically can work (even to not recommended), but im not sure which one would be the best, and all stop on like "wow you cut an wire". Have you every think of trying and fixing something instead of just replacing, so you would have to do some stupid shit to save a few bucks? :D

So please, if you guys would stop focusing on PSU and "change it", and focus on what i asked. If its not possible to do what i asked, then tell me why instead of "change psu"(that doesnt do me shit), why i cant get molex or sata power to 6pin pci-e cable adapter and pin it in gpu for additional power along side of those 8 pin that are originally ment for gpu?

I thought this was a PC tech channel, not a commercial store.

you can't do it, it won't work. go ahead with adapters if  you want but it's unlikely to end well. there's your answer.

Primary PC:

It can theoretically work. 

Tho its gonna burn the cable and 8 pin connector as its then running way out of spec for what it is made to do. 

Not to mention the connector on the card not being made for that. 

That is assuming its running in paralell. 

23 minutes ago, current96a said:

why i cant get molex

You can, tho its a terrible solution as that is usually the solution when you need another 25w for the GPU. While the molex cable can handle some current. The PSU side may not. So its not a great solution, but it may work. And i advice not to do it.

Your solution is to get a new cable from cooler master.

46 minutes ago, current96a said:

If i were in position of buying a new adequate PSU for 300W GPU i wouldnt be here and asking stupid questions from above, and above all i probably wouldnt try to work with now 4-5 yr old card, but would buy a newer card with same or even better performance which use less power (only 8pin). 
jesus, i asked here for a best solution out of some ideas that practically can work (even to not recommended), but im not sure which one would be the best, and all stop on like "wow you cut an wire". Have you every think of trying and fixing something instead of just replacing, so you would have to do some stupid shit to save a few bucks? :D

So please, if you guys would stop focusing on PSU and "change it", and focus on what i asked. If its not possible to do what i asked, then tell me why instead of "change psu"(that doesnt do me shit), why i cant get molex or sata power to 6pin pci-e cable adapter and pin it in gpu for additional power along side of those 8 pin that are originally ment for gpu?

I thought this was a PC tech channel, not a commercial store.

Sorry, this is a PC tech channel. Which is why we don't really have much advice other than "you fucked up and there's little you can do about it" If you have a warranty on the PSU, you could potentially get a replacement, though I don't think "cutting a wire because I have no idea what I'm doing" would be covered.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

6 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Sorry, this is a PC tech channel. Which is why we don't really have much advice other than "you fucked up and there's little you can do about it" If you have a warranty on the PSU, you could potentially get a replacement, though I don't think "cutting a wire because I have no idea what I'm doing" would be covered.

Yea, yet i came in to try and talk if it can work and why it can not, or how to make best out of it (if possible). But the answers i get are basically the same as one i would get in basic PC store. Then a good man GoldenLag here comes, and gives some pure and basic info why it wouldnt work that genuinely push me away of what i wanned to try and give me some reference points on what to look at if im to research a bit deeper into all this.

33 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You can, tho its a terrible solution as that is usually the solution when you need another 25w for the GPU. While the molex cable can handle some current. The PSU side may not. So its not a great solution, but it may work. And i advice not to do it.

Your solution is to get a new cable from cooler master.

Thank you for your answer. 
So your saying that molex adapters wouldnt manage to cover all the potential of 75W 6 pin on gpu as they lack current and power, thus may result on card pulling more power from 8 pin and then potentially burning it at some point? What if 6 pin adapter was from 2 separate molexes, that come from 2 separate 5 pin outs on psu that are ment for molex/ sata power cables. See pictures u attached.

I get the idea from older builds that were often used for lower end psu when not many had those 6-8 pins, and GPU manufactures would sell a card with that molex to 6 pin adapters. They were common in use, but they were i guess in use to supply a specific card with specific way - like 1x6 pin card with 1x6 pin adapter or simple as that, unlike my idea.

41GAfPyAK7L._AC_.jpg

TQmVO.jpg

8 hours ago, current96a said:

What if 6 pin adapter was from 2 separate molexes, that come from 2 separate 5 pin outs on psu that are ment for molex/ sata power cables.

It could work. Tho i really dont suggest to do this. 

If you do this. Do lots of testing. 

There will be some current balancing tho using temp and resistance isnt great. 

You could get away with a PCI-Express PCIE 8 Pin to Dual 8 (6+2) Pin Video Card Y-Splitter. Some video cards, even come with one. While it wasn't a good idea to chop off your second cable, it should of just split off the original 8 pin.