New Monitor(s) Suggestions / Also Faulty

Kl33nex
Go to solution Solved by Kl33nex,

Ok: Quick update.

The fault with one of my existing Acer RT270 is now affecting the power on/off button, directly next to the other physical buttons which periodically show up on screen as an icon directly above each button to determine what each do. (if that even makes sense).

So, I'm even more determined to replace both monitors asap. It's doing my head in!

After much online research these last few days and seriously at one point considerating one single ultrawide curved screen, I've 99.9% decided on my preferred choice of two. Non-curved.

My question now is: My new PC isn't finished being built yet, but (as previously mentioned) it will have a Nvidia RTX GPU.

The monitor(s) I really want is the LG 32GK650F-B which has FreeSync but does not support G-Sync. (not that I was really aiming to specifically have this)

Should I continue looking for a G-Sync compatible one or, since I really like everything else about the above mentioned monitor, will I even NEED/notice G-Sync?

I should add, I've read the basics about G-Sync online and I'm not too bothered whether I have it or not. Which is why I've virtually made my mind up.

I just wanted a second opinion really.

Thanks.

Edit: Nvm, I ordered two of those LG 32's.

Suggestions/Help please?

I've used a 2 monitor setup now for years and currently awaiting a new PC build.

Since my new GPU is a GTX 2070 Super, I'm thinking it might also be a good time to change/upgrade my aging (x2) Acer RT270 monitors.

I'd like something better than my current 60Hz, (up to maybe 144Hz max.) Might consider one single curved screen although to be honest this would mainly be based on price and aesthetics as I won't be gaming on one ultrawide.

Therefore, probably sticking with 2 screens is the best option.(?) Also want a decent-known brand with a budget approx £250-£450 each.

Can anyone please give me some examples? Thank you so much.

In addition, if anyone on here knows anything about troubleshooting/self-repairing monitors?

During my ownership of above mentioned Acer RT270's, I had to send one of them back to Acer during warranty a while back. The monitor menu user-interface "buttons/icons" (which should only appear when pressing a physical button) were constantly displayed at the bottom of the screen (VERY annoying!). I don't think it was ever explained to me what exactly Acer did to fix it but it came back repaired and I haven't had any other isses ...until now.

Surprise! Now that the warranty is long-gone, the very same thing is happening to the 2nd monitor. Otherwise it works perfectly fine.

If anyone technical knows a way around this (since I never need to go into the menus or change the default settings), I'd very much appreciate a way to cure this, at very least until I can upgrade. Thanks.

Edit: I should maybe also have noted, the screens I have are 28" and I'd like at least the same. Or slightly larger.

Edited by Kl33nex
Forgot to add a size requirement.

Are your current monitors VESA compatible. I would recommend getting a nice gaming monitor for the center, then mounting your two current monitors on the side, for a symmetrical triple monitor setup.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

The monitor menu user-interface "buttons/icons" (which should only appear when pressing a physical button) were constantly displayed at the bottom of the screen (VERY annoying!)

Does OSD stays on on the working display if you'll press OSD\menu button and keep it pressed ? Like does it time-out and disappear after some time or not ?

And does it disappaer on the faulty display if you press that button (not the one that exists OSD if there's any).

Looks like that menu button just shorted\broken.

What are you doing on this PC besides gaming ? As in, do you need particularly good color accuracy or not ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Statik said:

Are your current monitors VESA compatible. I would recommend getting a nice gaming monitor for the center, then mounting your two current monitors on the side, for a symmetrical triple monitor setup.

No, they are not VESA compatible.

I hadn't thought about buying one 'gaming monitor' and keeping those other two, one either side. That's actually a good idea! Might consider that. (assuming I can fix whatever's up with one of them). Thanks for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Does OSD stays on on the working display if you'll press OSD\menu button and keep it pressed ? Like does it time-out and disappear after some time or not ?

And does it disappaer on the faulty display if you press that button (not the one that exists OSD if there's any).

Looks like that menu button just shorted\broken.

What are you doing on this PC besides gaming ? As in, do you need particularly good color accuracy or not ?

The menu icons are on-screen within a few seconds of turning on the display (without pressing any buttons) and they remain on screen the whole time. Doesn't time-out like it should either. No pressing of any buttons on the faulty display will make the menu icons go away. The monitor works fine otherwise, it's just really annoying.

I hadn't even considered color accuracy to be honest. Just thinking of a better refresh rate. I don't play too many games (yet) but I'm always looking for suggestions. Not really a fps gamer. My whole setup will be pretty much overkill but hey, at least it's future-proofed for a while. ? My previous setup is from 2014! It's been long overdue.

I'll take some photos and post in the appropriate thread once I get it all set up.

43 minutes ago, Kl33nex said:

No, they are not VESA compatible.

I hadn't thought about buying one 'gaming monitor' and keeping those other two, one either side. That's actually a good idea! Might consider that. (assuming I can fix whatever's up with one of them). Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I currently have a triple 1080p setup and I fucking love it. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is I bought a 3440x1440

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

10 hours ago, Statik said:

Yeah I currently have a triple 1080p setup and I fucking love it. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is I bought a 3440x1440

Having thought about this overnight, I'd be VERY limited on the size of a 3rd monitor setup. Not to mention overkill for my needs. But mainly, I just don't think my desk is big enough sadly. Your setup sounds awesome!

More likely replace both monitors once I can find decent replacements.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

OP, where are you shopping at ?

I'm in the UK, so wherever I can find online. I've purchased from the likes of Aria, Overclockers and Amazon etc previously. Also bought directly from the manufacture. Open to other suggestions. I'd quite like an Asus monitor setup, but I'd consider most decent brands, Samsung, LG ..whatever.

(up to maybe 144Hz max.) Might consider one single curved screen although to be honest this would mainly be based on price and aesthetics as I won't be gaming on one ultrawide.

I'm confused. That's not for gaming ? Why you need 144Hz then ?

3 hours ago, Kl33nex said:

Having thought about this overnight, I'd be VERY limited on the size of a 3rd monitor setup. Not to mention overkill for my needs. But mainly, I just don't think my desk is big enough sadly. Your setup sounds awesome!

More likely replace both monitors once I can find decent replacements.

Yeah that’s fair. My desk is fucking massive to fit triple 27s

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

19 hours ago, Kl33nex said:

Suggestions/Help please?

I've used a 2 monitor setup now for years and currently awaiting a new PC build.

Since my new GPU is a GTX 2070 Super, I'm thinking it might also be a good time to change/upgrade my aging (x2) Acer RT270 monitors.

I'd like something better than my current 60Hz, (up to maybe 144Hz max.) Might consider one single curved screen although to be honest this would mainly be based on price and aesthetics as I won't be gaming on one ultrawide.

Therefore, probably sticking with 2 screens is the best option.(?) Also want a decent-known brand with a budget approx £250-£450 each.

Can anyone please give me some examples? Thank you so much.

~~SNIP~~

Edit: I should maybe also have noted, the screens I have are 28" and I'd like at least the same. Or slightly larger.

Have you consider a super ultra wide like the Samsung C49RG9

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49rg9-crg9

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, Juular said:

I'm confused. That's not for gaming ? Why you need 144Hz then ?

1. I'll now have a GPU with far greater potential than my monitors allow.

2. My plan is to find new games and also some of my PS4 games I hope to move over to PC. RDR2 for example.

3 hours ago, Statik said:

Yeah that’s fair. My desk is fucking massive to fit triple 27s

Have you already posted a photo of your setup on the forum? If you have, please link me. ?

11 minutes ago, Kl33nex said:

1. I'll now have a GPU with far greater potential than my monitors allow.

2. My plan is to find new games and also some of my PS4 games I hope to move over to PC. RDR2 for example.

So it is for gaming.

Okay, since all 16:9 1440p displays are non-curved i propose a single ultrawide display :

1080p 32:9 144Hz 49" VA for 800 GBP or 1440p 144Hz IPS 34" 21:9 for 950 GBP, both displays match the height of ~27" 16:9 display, 28" is nonstandard diagonal so you're not gonna find a lot of displays like that.

Or 3x 1440p 144Hz IPS 27" flat displays for 450 GBP each.

52 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Have you consider a super ultra wide like the Samsung C49RG9

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49rg9-crg9

Thanks. Yeah, these look freaking amazing! Gets decent reviews for the most part also.

But I honestly think when you're used to using two screens (and won't be gaming full-screen on ultrawide, then maybe two curved monitors would be best.

Having looked at Sumsungs own site, two 32" curved screens would look great! Also apparently much cheaper than one altra-wide.

I'll need to do some research.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

So it is for gaming.

Okay, since all 16:9 1440p displays are non-curved i propose a single ultrawide display :

1080p 32:9 144Hz VA for 800 GBP or 1440p 144Hz IPS 21:9 for 950 GBP, both displays match the height of ~27" 16:9 display, 28" is nonstandard diagonal so you're not gonna find a lot of displays like that.

Oh. I didn't know 16:9 1440p were all non-curved? Hmm

Let me check those out and get back to you. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Kl33nex said:

Correction, all IPS 1440p 16:9, there's VAs but since it seems that your main use is workstation activity, IPS would be better choice.

3 minutes ago, Kl33nex said:

make sure if ur goign to look at specs that u back them up with reviews. Specs can be hugley misleading and dont even give u the full list of details. For example Uniformity is never mentioned in specs. And response times are always ridiculously cherry picked figures from a single transition and max overdrive.

rtings has a tool for searching and filtering.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/17056

they currently have 91 monitors reviewed.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Although if you're not particularly sensitive to imperfect color reproduction and somewhat lacking contrast then VA would be an option, Samsung for 280 GBP or ASUS for 390 GBP.

Oh snap, i forgot that 32:9 display above is VA also :)

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Although if you're not particularly sensitive to imperfect color reproduction and somewhat lacking contrast then VA would be an option, Samsung for 280 GBP or ASUS for 390 GBP.

FYI , imperfect color is usually caused by improper calibration. VA's can in fact get very accurate nowadays. full sRGB coverage is possible, and high Adobe RGB is also possible. They only start falling behind in DCI-p3 and Rec2020.

Also, try 'editing' posts instead of spamming :)

12 minutes ago, Juular said:

Correction, all IPS 1440p 16:9, there's VAs but since it seems that your main use is workstation activity, IPS would be better choice.

I stupidly thought one ultrawide might be similar cost (or cheaper) than two monitors. But it seems these are WAY more expensive.

So, I'm currently aiming towards (something very similar, if not exact) two Sumsung 32s. Possibly curved.

The Acer screens I have right now are IPS, so this or better.

I've been watching youtube vids/reviews about stuff like G-sync and such and it's all gone wheeeeeeeeee right over my head.

Thanks for that review site SolarNova. Very helpful. ?

ps: point taken re: spamming. wasn't intentional. i don't know how to quote two replies at once. ?

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

FYI , imperfect color is usually caused by improper calibration. VA's can in fact get very accurate nowadays. full sRGB coverage is possible, and high Adobe RGB is also possible. They only start falling behind in DCI-p3 and Rec2020.

Also, try 'editing' posts instead of spamming :)

Sure, but i highly doubt that OP will bother calibrating them, IPS displays for the most part come with better uncalibrated colors.

And 2 posts in a row are spamming now ?

Just now, Juular said:

Sure, but i highly doubt that OP will bother calibrating them, IPS displays for the most part come with better uncalibrated colors.

And 2 posts in a row are spamming now ?

Just a friendly reminder :)

IPS can come just as poorly calibrated as another other panel type.

Examples

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/predator-xb271hu

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg348q

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/predator-x27

and a list of IPS displays ordered by factory calibration.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/17307

TN and VA a just the same.