When/do you guys think that 4k will be the new 1080p?

Retro_R
16 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

Sorry to offend, didn't mean to. To me, TVs are for watching tv and movies on a couch while monitors are for watching YouTube and stuff closer. TVs aren't really good monitors, especially when it's on a desk and your sitting close, as they're. I don't care if you use a tv as a monitor, and it's totally valid to use a tv as a monitor, everyone has different reasons. I just think that tv's and monitors are completely separate entities with different use cases. Again, I don't mean to bash people who use TVs as monitors, it's completly fine if you do that.

TV's can make perfectly fine monitors.

The problem is it depends greatly on included features and sometimes even the subpixel layout design.

Perfect example being the Philips momentum, while its sold as a 'monitor' it uses a TV panel with a BGR layout which 'seems' to cause crosshatching and subpixel dimming in certain situations.

Other issue that 'can' arise are input latency and pixel response times being slow.

TV's 'generally' use VA panels, and have a lot of processing, as such they can suffer from the usual VA slow pixel response and can have significant latency.

Thankfully many 'good' TV's have a game mode to get around the latency issue, managing to keep below 15ms which is perfectly acceptable.

And in general the pixel responses on 'good' new TV's are on par with VA monitors now.

Many even have 120hz options at 1080p and 1440p, and some newer displays have HDMI VRR.

With the right viewing distance a TV with the right specs is just as good as a VA monitor.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 12/4/2019 at 10:05 AM, Retro_R said:

I should probably clarify what I mean by this. So, currently, 1080p monitors are what most people have, probably because they're the cheapest and most available (also cheap 144hz models). But, (I think that) eventually display technologies will develop where 4k monitors will become about as cheap and available as 1080p monitors today. I would think that this would result in an increased market share of 4k monitors, but when/do you guys think that this will happen? I think that it will maybe happen, or at least begin to happen in the mid to late 2020s. However, maybe monitor sales will decrease in general in the future due to most people not having a desktop, and the massive popularity of mobile devices, causing less people needing a monitor. Also, what do you guys think will be the 'high-end' monitor technology will be when this will happen?

when my wallet isn't empty.

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

TV's can make perfectly fine monitors.

Yes, i'm not saying that they can't be good monitors, they can and there's a reason some people use them as monitors. They're great for using on a couch. Although I don't think the majority people use monitors.

It might become the new standard when 4k monitors become as cheap as 1080p monitors now and when there's cheap gpus capable of running games on it smoothly.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900