Canadian fined $35,000 for hurting feelings *Update, Jokes won.

JZStudios
27 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Everything is a hate crime because

its quebec, no need to say anything more then that

language police anyone?

oh you think i am joking, LOL nope, quebec does have language police

I'm on the side of the comedian but there is a small % of western society that believe free speech is hate speech and other sorts of orwellian language manipulation. They are vocal and annoying. This is why i deleted my facebook account and started a clean one without any offensive jokes. I dont want some of the shit i said coming back to hurt me. Life was simpler before the internet. It's 2019 and you can only tell jokes with a sock puppet account over an encrypted network. We have our freedom only as long as we can have encryption and anon accounts online.

17 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Roasting, sure. But as far as I'm aware, he wasn't even in the audience.

But we don't actually know his intentions. If people were to believe the jokes, they would think this kid is a fraud basically. I don't know enough context to say too much, but it's very possible that this joke caused the kid real hardship.

As I said, I'll let the Supreme Court decide whether what Mr Ward did was wrong or not, constitutionally.

Y'know... there's a show called 3rd Rock From the Sun, and a brief synopsis is a group of aliens come to Earth to study human culture and behavior. One of them goes to a comedy club and can't understand why people are laughing because the guys mom is so fat she waved her arm and a tricycle he lost in third grade fell out.

This reads a lot like that. Even if the kid wasn't in the audience, it was a clear joke. He shouldn't have to explain that obviously a tricycle didn't fall out of his mothers flabby arms.

17 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

thats a easy defamation case right there saying that he was lying to a charity to get money even though he never did that

Do you know what Make A Wish is? They don't give you money. And once again, it was a joke, not a push for deplatforming the kid.

He also said that he tried drowning him, but he wouldn't die. Is that also defamation, or is that an entitled act of violence that he should be charged with too?

17 hours ago, Tristerin said:

He was simply being a Comedian which is a recognized Profession that he pays his taxes through the income he generates.  He told a joke that exaggerated the situation.  I was sure it would be the USA doing something this stupid before Canada.  Yall really need to protest or watch your freedoms slowly erode away.

To be fair, Scotland did it to Nazi Pug Man first, and this shit would absolutely not fly in the US. Outside of Cali anyways. Unlike Canada it's not illegal to be mean in the US.

17 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

idk someone lying about someone stealing from charity comedic or not isnt the hill i want to die defending. its not even an exaggeration an exaggeration would be that guy was so bad at singing that the titanic sank or something

Okay, confirmed, you don't know what Make A Wish is or does.

And that joke was trash.

What kind of world are we living in that can't even insult the physically disabled anymore?

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, yeah I suppose.  I somehow got it in my head that he was but if not then that explains this I think.  Personally I think the context thing I described is important in this because going completely one way or the other would be silly.  We cannot allow a situation where people can just say whatever they feel like without consequences and get away with anything by later saying "it was a joke" - that's why there are laws against things like slander, etc. - however we also definitely want to avoid a situation where no one can say anything without fear of being sued for something like "hurt feelings", such as in this case.

Well, then question; Is this slander, defamation, or a joke?

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's not a good comparison, since by definition, a horse cannot talk.

However, he's taking a at least mildly well known person with physical deformities, and he's making exaggerations about the nature of his condition - a condition that's rare and most people don't know anything about.

Also, on top of that, comedians joke about real things all the time. Sometimes it's not easy to tell what they're exaggerating or making up vs what's actually true.

So he needs to be held liable for other peoples stupidity and misinformation? That's a load of garbage.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Y'know... there's a show called 3rd Rock From the Sun, and a brief synopsis is a group of aliens come to Earth to study human culture and behavior. One of them goes to a comedy club and can't understand why people are laughing because the guys mom is so fat she waved her arm and a tricycle he lost in third grade fell out.

This reads a lot like that. Even if the kid wasn't in the audience, it was a clear joke. He shouldn't have to explain that obviously a tricycle didn't fall out of his mothers flabby arms.

Do you know what Make A Wish is? They don't give you money. And once again, it was a joke, not a push for deplatforming the kid.

He also said that he tried drowning him, but he wouldn't die. Is that also defamation, or is that an entitled act of violence that he should be charged with too?

To be fair, Scotland did it to Nazi Pug Man first, and this shit would absolutely not fly in the US. Outside of Cali anyways. Unlike Canada it's not illegal to be mean in the US.

Okay, confirmed, you don't know what Make A Wish is or does.

And that joke was trash.

What kind of world are we living in that can't even insult the physically disabled anymore?

Well, then question; Is this slander, defamation, or a joke?

So he needs to be held liable for other peoples stupidity and misinformation? That's a load of garbage.

so make a wish operates on no money?

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

so make a wish operates on no money?

They don't give you money. They do things like set up a meeting with your celebrity hero, or in our case get us a trip to Hawaii. And Make A Wish isn't stupid enough to be fooled, though it's still possible they wouldn't have a problem helping a child with physical deformities feel "normal" and have a special day.

I suppose you could call that stealing if you want, but is it really stealing if they give it to you? Not to mention, the obvious joking thing and the fact that he was never a Make A Wish kid.

#Muricaparrotgang

They don't give you money. They do things like set up a meeting with your celebrity hero, or in our case get us a trip to Hawaii. And Make A Wish isn't stupid enough to be fooled, though it's still possible they wouldn't have a problem helping a child with physical deformities feel "normal" and have a special day.

I suppose you could call that stealing if you want, but is it really stealing if they give it to you? Not to mention, the obvious joking thing and the fact that he was never a Make A Wish kid.

so if i pretend to have a terminal disease and get make a wish to give me a cruise trip or something would other people think thats ok?  no they would probably hate me. if the comedian said hypothetically or if this happens then maybe its ok but he stated it as if its fact so i dont think saying its just for a joke makes it ok. its like all those stupid youtube videos that pranksters upload of them hurting people or damaging property and they say its just a prank bro. it doesnt matter if its for a prank if you assaulted someone or damaged their property. it doesnt matter if its for a joke if the audience is led to believe that the singer is a scumbag that scammed a charity

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

so if i pretend to have a terminal disease and get make a wish to give me a cruise trip or something would other people think thats ok?  no they would probably hate me. if the comedian said hypothetically or if this happens then maybe its ok but he stated it as if its fact so i dont think saying its just for a joke makes it ok. its like all those stupid youtube videos that pranksters upload of them hurting people or damaging property and they say its just a prank bro. it doesnt matter if its for a prank if you assaulted someone or damaged their property. it doesnt matter if its for a joke if the audience is led to believe that the singer is a scumbag that scammed a charity

Also, Make a Wish doesn't operate exclusively on Terminal diseases. My brother is still alive, and so are many others I knew in the program. I think they more go for people with cancer, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if they also did things for people with deformities.

And... no. You're so wrong it just comes off as stupid. You don't just walk into Make A Wish and say "I'm terminally ill, give me a cruise." It's an entire process that takes actual medical records, and they have tiers of.. things. Not everyone gets a free cruise. Hell, even setting up a meeting with Dwayne Johnson to volunteer his day to spend time with a kid isn't that expensive.

I can't believe you equate saying a deformed kid was in Make A Wish to actual physical damages. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's not like that at all.

#Muricaparrotgang

Sucks to hear this happening in Canada but this looks to be an issue more with Quebec. I dont know how the rest of us Canadians feel about them but Quebec seems to want to be their own country. They do have some different laws then other provinces and it can be confusing. This is sort of the same as different states having some different laws. I believe what is being on trial here is if he used Defamation to the person. I would have to hear the complete joke in its context to make any judgement on it. With comedy I believe everything should be ok, humor is relative and not everyone will enjoy knock knock jokes as much as people will like dead b*by jokes. You should be able to make any jokes you want, but the issue is what if the comedian is just making statements and defaming someone and using the guise of being a comedian to hide? I am not saying this is the case but it could be a thought... 

Reminds me of an old WKYK skit where they make the joke that it is illegal to state "I want to XXXX the President of the USA" unless you are telling someone they cannot say that and they go off on where you could be and where to buy weapons and its a pretty funny skit. It plays on that you cannot say that phrase on TV. Are those jokes illegal as well? 

Seems more like Quebec being silly as always and showing Canada in a sad light where I personally live. I do not fear I am losing my right to freedom of speech but I can see alot of our US brothers and sisters believing this happens all the time and we have no freedoms. 

8 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Also, Make a Wish doesn't operate exclusively on Terminal diseases. My brother is still alive, and so are many others I knew in the program. I think they more go for people with cancer, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if they also did things for people with deformities.

And... no. You're so wrong it just comes off as stupid. You don't just walk into Make A Wish and say "I'm terminally ill, give me a cruise." It's an entire process that takes actual medical records, and they have tiers of.. things. Not everyone gets a free cruise. Hell, even setting up a meeting with Dwayne Johnson to volunteer his day to spend time with a kid isn't that expensive.

I can't believe you equate saying a deformed kid was in Make A Wish to actual physical damages. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It's not like that at all.

and how is that relevant? if someone said that i did that it will still damage my reputation and people will still hate me no matter if thats possible or not. in fact the fact that its not possible is more of a ding against the person claiming that about me 

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

and how is that relevant? if someone said that i did that it will still damage my reputation and people will still hate me no matter if thats possible or not. in fact the fact that its not possible is more of a ding against the person claiming that about me 

No.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 hours ago, GodSeph said:

With comedy I believe everything should be ok, humor is relative and not everyone will enjoy knock knock jokes as much as people will like dead b*by jokes.

Why do you self censor baby?

...is that a swear in Maple land?

#Muricaparrotgang

Why do you self censor baby?

...is that a swear in Maple land?

Id rather not make those kind of jokes insinuations on a tech forum. This isnt the place for that. The point was send across without it. A tech forums shouldnt be the place to make jokes about that as the same with being overly political as examples. I never said that was a swear but like how a business can use the phrade "No shirt no Shoes no service" thats the same with a private forum where they have rules and I do not wish to break them. 

1 hour ago, GodSeph said:

Id rather not make those kind of jokes insinuations on a tech forum. This isnt the place for that. The point was send across without it. A tech forums shouldnt be the place to make jokes about that as the same with being overly political as examples. I never said that was a swear but like how a business can use the phrade "No shirt no Shoes no service" thats the same with a private forum where they have rules and I do not wish to break them. 

This isn't a tech thread, it's in off topic, and I don't think the forum has any explicit rules about "offensive" language outside of racial slurs n such. And politics always devolves into a shitshow.

I don't think there's a problem with dead babies. And censoring baby wouldn't make it any better.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

This isn't a tech thread, it's in off topic, and I don't think the forum has any explicit rules about "offensive" language outside of racial slurs n such. And politics always devolves into a shitshow.

I don't think there's a problem with dead babies. And censoring baby wouldn't make it any better.

I don't think it's specifically against any rule - though there's of course nothing at all wrong with @GodSeph deciding to self-censor. That's his right as per freedom of expression. Though given the nature of some dead baby jokes, it's probably not something that should be posted here - especially since technically even off topic threads are supposed to be vaguely tech related.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

thats a easy defamation case right there saying that he was lying to a charity to get money even though he never did that

Except it was said during a stand-up act. Anything said should be assumed to be a joke. Great leeway is taken with the truth for the sake of comedy. It wasn't like the guy was giving interviews or writing articles accusing the kid of fraud.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

read it, almost burst out laughing... chuckled a lot. That was funny.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This is ridiculous. The government should have no say in what you can and cannot say. PERIOD

No matter how offensive or how wrong you are, you should be allowed to say it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

12 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Except it was said during a stand-up act. Anything said should be assumed to be a joke. Great leeway is taken with the truth for the sake of comedy. It wasn't like the guy was giving interviews or writing articles accusing the kid of fraud.

the proper way to do that is to say hypothetically or if or lets say beforehand. if someone's reputation is being damaged saying its just a prank bro doesnt absolve you of all responsibility. if i say linus kills baby goats and he loses all his subs he can sue me even if i say i said it as a joke

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the proper way to do that is to say hypothetically or if or lets say beforehand. if someone's reputation is being damaged saying its just a prank bro doesnt absolve you of all responsibility. if i say linus kills baby goats and he loses all his subs he can sue me even if i say i said it as a joke

Prefacing the joke with an indication it is hypothetical or clarifying it is all a joke before hand would kill the joke. You shouldn't need to even clarify any of that before hand because it is a comedy stand-up. Common sense dictates everything is a joke or leading up to one. Nothing should be taken seriously.

10 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Prefacing the joke with an indication it is hypothetical or clarifying it is all a joke before hand would kill the joke. You shouldn't need to even clarify any of that before hand because it is a comedy stand-up. Common sense dictates everything is a joke or leading up to one. Nothing should be taken seriously.

in this case he shouldnt even have named someone and said a kid or something. and it doesnt matter if you intended something to be taken serious or not if i yell fire in a packed theater and causes and stampede where people die it doesnt matter if i yelled fire as a joke i would still be charged with man slaughter

It's a hard one for me. 

I do want to believe in a broad freedom of speech but I also like people being accountable for some of the bullshit they spew.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

not if i yell fire in a packed theater and causes and stampede where people die it doesnt matter if i yelled fire as a joke i would still be charged with man slaughter

Well yeah, but if you are a comedian and you are on stage, I think it's fair to say that no one will actually take what you say seriously. So even if you did yell fire, it probably wouldn't cause a stampede and no one would get hurt, because everyone in the audience knows that it is (most likely) part of your joke.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Lathlaer said:

I do want to believe in a broad freedom of speech but I also like people being accountable for some of the bullshit they spew.

You can do both:

Establish a legal difference between speech and call to action:

Speech is what you say.

Calls to action are you actively trying to provoke harm to someone. It's also context sensitive.

And then have a civil law system that allows for cases to settle defamation on a case to case basis, that looks into the context surrounding what was said and how the person(s) saying it choose to proceed with what they said, as well as the result to the (supposedly) defamed subject.

If it's a comedy club, context dictates that it is a joke, and thus not really defamation.

If it's a publication, and it redacts/corrects the statement, then they likely had bad information and just reported on it, and thus not  a strong case of defamation.

If the claim has no effect on the person (such as a user on a forum making a statement), then it has no effect, and thus, is irrelevant to the person.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.