Canadian fined $35,000 for hurting feelings *Update, Jokes won.

JZStudios
5 hours ago, TechyBen said:

The commedian made a claim "you are a fraud, lol j/k". His rights for equality, means he gets to defend himself against that claim. Thus the court case and fines.

Slightly different law, but it seems a similar "meaning" to defamation/equality etc. Quebec be like "we do it our own way here". But I agree, it needs MASSIVE clarificatoin (perhaps the guy had no deformation laws to fall back on?).

Please tell me where he made that claim that he's a fraud.

5 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Then, I'll spread whatever I like about you, get you banned from all forums and games, get you to lose your job because "you're not entitled" to any of it by law... except by "equal rights" laws. Right?

Go ahead. I work with family, and even if I didn't it's highly unlikely that a random ass guy on the internet would get me fired or banned from the forum. If you give a false report, which isn't a joke, they'll look into it and will need proof that I actually did wrong doings instead of you saying I claimed to doxx you. Show them DMs or something.

Only in this fantasy land you guys seem to live in does a random person saying a bad thing mean the end of the world and instant life altering events for the "victim." It's just like claiming sexual harassment at your workplace, they don't just go "Oh, someone filed a report, you're fired." They actually look into it to see if there's any validity.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yes. "Free speech" does not mean you can say literally anything and get away with it. @JZStudios I suppose you have a problem with slander and libel laws as well, oh champion of free speech? Free speech protects you when you criticize or make fun of someone more powerful than you, and it also protects you from being ridiculed for expressing yourself by someone with 1000 times your public outreach. I have no patience for scumbags punching down for a laugh. Making fun of disabled children for their condition isn't "comedy", it's bullying. And by the way, this isn't just a layman's opinion - try asking George Carlin, the one guy who always gets brought up when defending "edgy humor".

That's a load of horseshit. You don't agree with it, so he should be fined. Just because you think it's in bad taste or indeed even bullying doesn't mean he should be fined for it. That's stupid.

Slander and Libel laws have rules and regulations that must be met. Hurt feelings do not.

Love how these people still try to deny their fascist tendencies. I'm sure the guy who thought it would be funny to have a dog make the nazi salute has some amazing and unbiased insight on this case. But nope, can't call out obvious bias here, it has to be some insane conspiracy within the HRT, even though there's literally no evidence or precedent to assert that - the guy who likes nazi salutes and the dude making fun of disabled children? Nah, they're fine, I'm sure there's NOTHING FISHY HERE.

Good thing you've seen a single fucking thing that guy has actually done. Really shows off your intelligence and brilliant argument making skills.

So what, are you saying that child abuse should be accepted? It's absolutely incredible to me how people like you say you had a shit life and now will do anything in your power to ensure that everyone else's life is as shit as yours. You should be fighting to prevent it, not act as though it's normal or even laudable.

Nice. This is the point --> .

This is your head     -->o

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I don't recall anyone wanting him jailed.

Yep, you have no idea who is or what happened to him at all. Brilliant.

But I mean, that's Fascist propaganda, so I assume you won't watch it.

Otherwise, a shit load of people make Jew jokes and terrorist jokes. Look at Jeff Dunham for the latter. They're not fascists, nor do they have fascist tendencies, this is a stupid argument.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Ahhh yes, the "small government" bullshit. These people have been crying bloody murder when private companies like youtube decided they didn't want to host them, citing the right to free speech - well guess what, that's them asking for government intervention. They say they want a small government, but only when that government would otherwise be prosecuting them for hate or violence. They want a "small government" when you propose to increase welfare but they also want the government to crack down in immigration, and so on. In other words, they lie through their teeth about their own positions to maintain a veil of plausible deniability, which clearly works judging from your reply. It's kind of like me claiming I like corporatism despite the fact that I slam copyright law, monopolies, closed source software and billionaires at every chance I get.

Who are you talking about, because I've never heard of any of these guys asking for government intervention, especially when a lot of shit is happening because of government intervention.

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes they are. Almost every major comedian constantly makes political jokes, because art isn't just entertainment - it's a way of commenting on people and society.

Neither of those require punching down.

No, shitty comedians make political jokes. And most of them are what I would call punching down, but it's only different because their in office and not disabled.

Look at the comedian greats of the past that most comedians look up to, and are arguably far funnier. None of them had constant political jokes, but they still made fun of the Nazis. But I guess Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder are also fascists for The Producers.

They're also wildly racist because of Blazing Saddles.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes they are. Almost every major comedian constantly makes political jokes, because art isn't just entertainment - it's a way of commenting on people and society.

Political jokes=/=Political statements. Political jokes are meant to make you laugh, political statements are not.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Neither of those require punching down.

tf? Punching down is kinda what makes it edgy.

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Memes making fun of communism aren't pushing a communist message, surely you realize that..?

I don't mean just the ones making fun of communism.

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Here's an actual leftist meme

Left and right wing memes are both horrible and only boomers find them funny. Memes with political content are funny, just not political memes (if you want examples of what I consider political memes go to r/therightcantmeme and r/politicalhumor).

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Uhm... you're saying that, say, Mussolini would have been for censoring fascists? Or are you saying he wasn't a fascist because in that one situation he would advocate for his right to say whatever he wanted? 

Huh? Mussolini definitely censored everyone who didn't agree with his point of view.

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They don't give a damn about free speech, they just want to hate on minorities and will say anything to get their way.

Maybe you think that, but most people who disagree with this actually do care about free speech.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

53 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

And most of them are what I would call punching down, but it's only different because their in office and not disabled.

Yep, you have literally no idea what any of this means. Sorry for talking over your head. If you think criticizing politicians is punching down you clearly don't have the basic understanding of language needed for this conversation.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Slander and Libel laws have rules and regulations that must be met. Hurt feelings do not.

Except a court found this to be illegal. I don't know how to tell you this, there ARE rules and regulations on what classifies as hate speech and human rights infringement. The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Nice. This is the point --> .

Nah mate, you don't have a point. What you're arguing for changes every time you rephrase it, because you have no basis for anything you say beyond a 4 year old's interpretation of what comedy should be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

So what, are you saying that child abuse should be accepted? It's absolutely incredible to me how people like you say you had a shit life and now will do anything in your power to ensure that everyone else's life is as shit as yours. You should be fighting to prevent it, not act as though it's normal or even laudable.

Freedom of speech is not limited to punching up. It never has been and never will be. Thats an asinine statement.

Basically everything you just said is horse shit. 

If we are talking about freedom of speech in the US then jokes are protected. Its why comedians are not being sued for making fun of people. Do you think Dave Chapelle will ever be in court for making fun of a homeless man on a subway? No. And hes a millionaire. Hes punching down when he makes fun of a homeless man.

You can hate the joke thats fine. Dont listen to that comedian then. But in the US that speech is protected. There is a huge difference between slander and a comedian telling a joke. 

Theres no "protective class" when it comes to a comedians joke. And hate speech is not a legally defined term. You cannot be charged with any crimes for making jokes about anyone. Its not discrimination to make fun of anyone. In fact discrimination is not against the law at all outside of a business/government setting.

I can discriminate against anyone i want in my home. I can refuse to give a black person a ride just do to him being black. Thats discrimination. But its not against the law for me to do that. Theres no laws against a person in their personal life being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. 

(Obv i was using me as an example i would not discriminate against a person due to their skin color but legally in the us i could).

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yep, you have literally no idea what any of this means. Sorry for talking over your head. If you think criticizing politicians is punching down you clearly don't have the basic understanding of language needed for this conversation.

Okay, strip out the kids name and replace it with a politician you don't like. I'm assuming that suddenly that's okay to you. I'm saying that's garbage and hypocritical. Calling Trumps mouth a cock holster for Putin is something that I would classify as punching down, but hey, apparently that's taking a swing at a big guy so it's A-Ok. That's a stupid argument.

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Except a court found this to be illegal. I don't know how to tell you this, there ARE rules and regulations on what classifies as hate speech and human rights infringement. The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

Only in places with hate speech laws, and this might go to the Canadian supreme court, where it could potentially be overturned. It's not uncommon for prior rulings to be overturned by another judge or from a higher level court.

And there are no definitive laws, rules, or regulations for hate speech or hurt feelings, they're based on perception and whatever bias someone might already have. I'd take it to religious persecution but I don't want to go off topic. Refer to the video I linked about the Governments response to Free Speech. There's no set in stone definitions for what actually constitutes "Hate Speech" and it's liable to change over time. It's incredibly vague. Libel, slander, and defamation have a set process with clearly defined rules.

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nah mate, you don't have a point. What you're arguing for changes every time you rephrase it, because you have no basis for anything you say beyond a 4 year old's interpretation of what comedy should be.

Ah, the insults. Of course I'm a 4 year old because you can't understand the clear intentions of a joke.

My point was that there's worse shit in life that people should overcome than someone said a mean thing. And it wasn't child abuse, it was parental abuse. My buddy had some childhood friends who took bats to their step dad while he was sleeping. Fuck that guy.

19 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

You cannot be charged with any crimes for making jokes about anyone. Its not discrimination to make fun of anyone. In fact discrimination is not against the law at all outside of a business/government setting.

Well that's obviously false.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, you quoting that again doesn't make it an argument in favor of your point. People used this excuse to justify slavery, citing "state rights". Your freedom to own a slave doesn't trump everyone's freedom not to be one. Your freedom to bully disabled people doesn't trump disabled people's freedom not to be bullied for who they are. It seems to me you're the one who wants to erode freedoms here. "Our freedoms are being eroded but you can't see it and I have no tangible evidence that it's happening in the way I said it was" is on the same level of logic as saying there's an invisible, intangible teapot orbiting Earth which you can't observe but trust me it's there.

Awwww this must touch a soft spot.  You have to be something SPECIAL to correlate that the quote is in regards to slavery in the context of this discussion.  Hope no one makes a joke about you, the irreparable damage would likely be costly.

As for the topic I don't care what you think on this and here is why -  As a Patriot I know which side I would be on, and which side you would be on should it ever come to it.  Should you continue to quote me, Ill gladly reiterate I don't care what you think on this topic.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

So to summarize this... Canada is shit and doesn't allow actual freedom of speech.

All the context that is needed is that a comedian while performing made a joke that offended someone who is "special". The judicial system there is valuing the rights of the special needs person over that of the comedian who says stuff like this everyday as part of his job. If this does hold it is going to set a dangerous precedent and open pandora's box to way more than just this one little incident.

Yes, it was in bad taste to make fun of the kid. Then again that is what comedy is... a bunch of pushing the limits of what is socially acceptable. That being said nothing of what he said or did should be illegal in this context. Now if he was doing this via another platform and the kid could show it caused him a measureable loss of income or reputation or something else we use to determine if slander actually is valid then yes, but this wasn't that.

12 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Okay, strip out the kids name and replace it with a politician you don't like. I'm assuming that suddenly that's okay to you. I'm saying that's garbage and hypocritical. Calling Trumps mouth a cock holster for Putin is something that I would classify as punching down, but hey, apparently that's taking a swing at a big guy so it's A-Ok. That's a stupid argument.

Only in places with hate speech laws, and this might go to the Canadian supreme court, where it could potentially be overturned. It's not uncommon for prior rulings to be overturned by another judge or from a higher level court.

And there are no definitive laws, rules, or regulations for hate speech or hurt feelings, they're based on perception and whatever bias someone might already have. I'd take it to religious persecution but I don't want to go off topic. Refer to the video I linked about the Governments response to Free Speech. There's no set in stone definitions for what actually constitutes "Hate Speech" and it's liable to change over time. It's incredibly vague. Libel, slander, and defamation have a set process with clearly defined rules.

Ah, the insults. Of course I'm a 4 year old because you can't understand the clear intentions of a joke.

My point was that there's worse shit in life that people should overcome than someone said a mean thing. And it wasn't child abuse, it was parental abuse. My buddy had some childhood friends who took bats to their step dad while he was sleeping. Fuck that guy.

Well that's obviously false.

He brought up freedom of speech. So im assuming hes talking about the us since the us is the only country with freedom of speech. And in the us you wouldnt be charged with a crime.

Ive never argued in this thread that canada couldnt do this. Just that they shouldnt and its asinine that they do. But canada does not have freedom if speech. Canada is not a free country.

13 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So to summarize this... Canada is shit and doesn't allow actual freedom of speech.

All the context that is needed is that a comedian while performing made a joke that offended someone who is "special". The judicial system there is valuing the rights of the special needs person over that of the comedian who says stuff like this everyday as part of his job. If this does hold it is going to set a dangerous precedent and open pandora's box to way more than just this one little incident.

Yes, it was in bad taste to make fun of the kid. Then again that is what comedy is... a bunch of pushing the limits of what is socially acceptable. That being said nothing of what he said or did should be illegal in this context. Now if he was doing this via another platform and the kid could show it caused him a measureable loss of income or reputation or something else we use to determine if slander actually is valid then yes, but this wasn't that.

Canadas just going to end up like colleges in the US where comedians refuse to go.

Its asinine that a country as proud as canada would pull such garbage. 

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

So im assuming hes talking about the us since the us is the only country with freedom of speech.

I'm not sure if the US is the only country that has freedom of speech. While a lot of countries unfortunately do have "hate speech" or similar laws, there's still a few countries that don't.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm not sure if the US is the only country that has freedom of speech.

Depends on how you want to interpret it.

Many countries have constitutions that list freedom of speech.

Most of them also have (and uphold) laws that infringe upon that right.

So, it's a do they really have it, or do they have a piece of paper that says they do.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm not sure if the US is the only country that has freedom of speech. While a lot of countries unfortunately do have "hate speech" or similar laws, there's still a few countries that don't.

That i know of no country outside the us has legal freedom of speech. But i could be wrong but i dont think so 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I mean... YES we do have freedom of speech in the States, but that only protects you from government retaliation. There are still things you cannot do like threaten harm or use it as a weapon to put others at danger (yelling fire in a crowded building).

So while you can say about anything without being arrested or charged for it... you can be fired, denied employment, etc for it. So you can still have complications over things you say, just it won't be coming from the government.

I think as a whole though we are getting more and more thin skinned each generation. People are more and more prone to being offended by stuff and getting all worked up over the smallest things.

55 minutes ago, Sauron said:

He made me made me record a DVD.

#Muricaparrotgang

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Depends on how you want to interpret it.

Many countries have constitutions that list freedom of speech.

Most of them also have (and uphold) laws that infringe upon that right.

So, it's a do they really have it, or do they have a piece of paper that says they do.

6 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

That i know of no country outside the us has legal freedom of speech. But i could be wrong but i dont think so 

Yeah, as I said, very few have actual freedom of speech. Off the top of my head (outside of the US ofc) Greece, Portugal and Malta. (or at least I've never heard of similar censorship happening in these countries)

Edited by PCGuy_5960

17 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I mean... YES we do have freedom of speech in the States, but that only protects you from government retaliation. There are still things you cannot do like threaten harm or use it as a weapon to put others at danger (yelling fire in a crowded building).

So while you can say about anything without being arrested or charged for it... you can be fired, denied employment, etc for it. So you can still have complications over things you say, just it won't be coming from the government.

I think as a whole though we are getting more and more thin skinned each generation. People are more and more prone to being offended by stuff and getting all worked up over the smallest things.

100%

Instead of teach people to be strong we are teaching them to cry. As if words were the same as someone taking a bat to your knees lol.

That's dumb af 

However I would also say that in part it's also a fault of the law, every law it's too general/arreared, and they can be easily distorted 

Ps: it's just my impression, or every country now it's gotten retarded? Canada/us/uk are taking action on bullshits; Poland got to be nazi, which is hilarious; Italy its a country of functional illiterates; Brazil celebrates the burn of the rainforest; in France we still have violent protests for unknown reasons; China meanwhile seems to try to expand their own territories..

18 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

That's dumb af 

However I would also say that in part it's also a fault of the law, every law it's too general/arreared, and they can be easily distorted 

Ps: it's just my impression, or every country now it's gotten retarded? Canada/us/uk are taking action on bullshits; Poland got to be nazi, which is hilarious; Italy its a country of functional illiterates; Brazil celebrates the burn of the rainforest; in France we still have violent protests for unknown reasons; China meanwhile seems to try to expand their own territories..

you have to consider quebec as its own country really, thats always how they wanted it, but they wanted free money with equalisation payments. i would consider quebec almost nazi like, considering they do legitamatly have language police, and generally speaking the quebecois do not like anyone that does not speak quebec french. especially once you go out from the metropolitan cities then english speakers are really frowned upon and discriminated against. but you have to realize it goes the other way around too, when quebecois go on out to other provinces they are kinda looked down upon, i think its because they stick out with their quebecois accent.

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Freedom of speech is not limited to punching up. It never has been and never will be. Thats an asinine statement.

Good thing that's not what I said then.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Awwww this must touch a soft spot.  You have to be something SPECIAL to correlate that the quote is in regards to slavery in the context of this discussion.  Hope no one makes a joke about you, the irreparable damage would likely be costly.

Yeah sure, way to ignore the point with an ad hom the instant you get called out on your untenable bullshit. The only one who seems to have been touched in a soft spot here is you, answering despite having nothing to add to the conversation and despite claiming you don't care.

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

As for the topic I don't care what you think on this and here is why -  As a Patriot I know which side I would be on, and which side you would be on should it ever come to it.  Should you continue to quote me, Ill gladly reiterate I don't care what you think on this topic.

Sure thing, cling on to your arbitrary borders and your unwarranted national pride while the world moves on without you (and good riddance at that).

Instead of teach people to be strong we are teaching them to cry.

ok boomer

Why don't you go live naked in the woods while you're at it, surely that will teach you to be strong.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

yeah and especially now with the internet age and snowflakes and social justice warriors

people get fired from jobs all the time with stuff they post on social media, or acts they do while being filmed by television, or photographed by anyone.

That i know of no country outside the us has legal freedom of speech.

legal freedom of speech

well Canada has freedom of speech, and you can say anything you want, and it takes a lot for speech to become a hate crime. certain boundries have to be crossed, certain levels of legal standing have to be crossed in order for speech to be a hate crime. being fined has much lower legal standing then being charged with a crime.

the canadian government over the years are making stupid laws in my opinion. like using the proper gender pronouns to address someone, the toronto professor jordan peterson i listen to on youtube brings up good argumentative points. but canada is going downhill in many regards.

Bill C-16 passed by a vote of 67–11 this week  ( Saturday, June 17, 2017 )

they are going down a very slippery slope

https://stream.org/canada-passes-law-criminalizing-use-of-wrong-gender-pronouns/

7 cases

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/when-is-it-hate-speech-7-significant-canadian-cases-1.1036731

He was found guilty by the Saskatchewan Human Rights Tribunal in 2005, but that decision was later appealed and overturned in 2010. The tribunal then appealed to the country's top court.

On Wednesday, a unanimous decision from the Supreme Court found that most of Saskatchewan's human rights code was constitutional. The legislation infringes the right to free speech and religion, but the court found it was a reasonable limit.

charges of hate crimes are rare in canada, and it takes a lot for someone to be charged with a hate crime.

however being fined $35,000 canadian rupees means its an ongoing saga in appeal court which will ultimately be thrown out or drastically reduced.

Two of three judges ruled Mike Ward’s comments regarding Gabriel were not justifiable in a society where freedom of expression is valued.

seems the judges are hypacritcal

Ward was originally ordered to pay an additional $7,000 to Gabriel’s mother—a fine which the courts overturned due to the indirect relationship between the joke and the boy’s mother.

Ward’s jokes called Gabriel a bad singer, stating that he was “terminally ill” and that Gabriel not passing away meant that his “Make a Wish” was invalid. Gabriel was not actually terminally ill, as Gabriel’s genetic disease—Treacher Collins syndrome—does not generally have an effect on lifespan. He was also not a Make-a-Wish kid, as Ward was embellishing the story for the sake of the joke.

Ward’s jokes make have been tasteless, but does that mean he should have to pay $35,000? I don’t think so, but the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal ruled the joke was discrimination against Gabriel and his parents and ordered Ward to pay damages for “making discriminatory comments regarding Jéremy Gabriel, infringing his right to equality.”

Mike Ward responded to the verdict on Twitter, declaring that he refuses to pay the fine, and plans to take this fight to the Supreme Court. “In a ‘free’ country, it shouldn’t be up to a judge to decide what constitutes a joke on stage. The people in attendance laughing already answered that question.”

well quebec is not a free province

the judge is out of order, and that judge needs to be looked at for every prior case that judge has ever presided over!

“I’m telling you right now, I [sic] rather go to prison than pay even one-tenth of this stupid fine.”

I agree with you on that. It would cost the quebec government hundreds and hundreds of dollars a day to house and feed you. the real cost would be $300+/day

Ward’s case will likely have huge implications in Canada and elsewhere as to what constitutes free expression and what constitutes discrimination.

yea its a sad road that canada is going down, a very very sad road

I’m failing to see how a joke can be deemed discrimination by any sensible human being. “Comedy isn’t a crime,” Ward says, and he's right. Being mocked doesn’t entitle to you to financial restitution.

comedy is freedom of speech, and if it constitutes a hate crime, then a $35k judgement would still be way out of line.

There’s a part of me that wants to dismiss this

i wonder what would happen if you just completely ignore the ruling and never go into quebec whatsoever. what could happen., what would happen. just avoid that province all together, there is no loss there, none whatsoever.

Think about it, even Christian bakers can’t refuse to make a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding without having a six-figure fine levied on them. Free expression and religious liberty are slowly becoming outmoded concepts, and that should frighten everyone.

its a sad state of affairs in the great country that we call Canada.

Sounds like slander to me, and last I checked slander is illegal.

But I'm not a lawyer, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Good thing that's not what I said then.

Yeah sure, way to ignore the point with an ad hom the instant you get called out on your untenable bullshit. The only one who seems to have been touched in a soft spot here is you, answering despite having nothing to add to the conversation and despite claiming you don't care.

Sure thing, cling on to your arbitrary borders and your unwarranted national pride while the world moves on without you (and good riddance at that).

ok boomer

Why don't you go live naked in the woods while you're at it, surely that will teach you to be strong.

im 29. so im a millennial.

Doesnt mean i cant call out this generation for being a bunch of pussies looking for hand outs.