ISP Slowing internet late at night?

flashiling

Hey peeps.

So the thing i'm wondering about is weather it's allowed and if some ISP's actually slow the internet speed at night.

The reason i'm asking ths is because for some reason i've always had problems watching 1080p videos on my wifi network after 22:00 in the evening when i'm laying in my bed. but if it's earlier in the day i can watch 1440p videos on the phone without any buffering.

it got to a point where to prevent buffering i had to pause a youtube video for 15 seconds every 2 min to let it download ahead (the little grey bar).

we pay for 50 Mb/s (actually wrote Mb/s not Gb/s this time ;D) download and 10 Mb/s upload, the router is in the room next to mine about 6 meters (if you walk through walls) from the router to my phone.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

More likely bandwidth, more people are online during the evening/night than the day in your area ?

4 minutes ago, venomx said:

More likely bandwidth, more people are online during the evening/night than the day in your area ?

i doubt that many people are online at 10pm in the evening/night on a monday.

that's the thing it's not commonly a problem during the weekends.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

first step is to determine if there is an issue in your house. Had a few slow speed at this time for work. Turned out to be things like apple syncing, cloud storage syncing and so on.

Do a proper ethernet speed test and disable all wireless. If you get full speed then start by slowly introducing devices back onto the network. 

Again rain into issues were the son was torrenting and proved to the parents that it was this computer. unplugged the pc everything fine. plug back in 5 min latter back to very poor speed. Still our fault somehow. BTW could alo be a virus/malware on a pc.

There still is the potability of network saturation. our competitor who introduced faster speeds and low prices are started to get saturation of there network.

i doubt it's my pc since i don't use torrents or anything. and mine is also turned off at the time.

my mom only uses her ipad and a phone that's hooked up to the speakers in the living room to listhen to radio or spotify.

i've turned off all of my syncing things and only keep them locally and my mom has almost nothing on her phone, and i doubt that it's syncing for 5 hours (yes i've tried being on my phone from 22:00 to 03:00 with the network being that bad, it sucks major nutsack).

and it's only my mom and i who live in our house and it's a long secure code that's on the network so i don't belive anyone is using it from the outside.

Electrical devices (electric heaters set to only come on at night) can cause interference, even if not even in your house, but a neighbour.

11 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i doubt it's my pc since i don't use torrents or anything. and mine is also turned off at the time.

my mom only uses her ipad and a phone that's hooked up to the speakers in the living room to listhen to radio or spotify.

i've turned off all of my syncing things and only keep them locally and my mom has almost nothing on her phone, and i doubt that it's syncing for 5 hours (yes i've tried being on my phone from 22:00 to 03:00 with the network being that bad, it sucks major nutsack).

and it's only my mom and i who live in our house and it's a long secure code that's on the network so i don't belive anyone is using it from the outside.

its tough to say without digging further into it. Could be your end, could be the isp end. Could be something in the area. Rogue android box blocking wifi, was not connected to anything.

I guess you have TDC (fullrate, etc etc..) And using VDSL/ADSL. Could be bottleneck in the system, as the cables are pretty bad. (thin telephone copper cables)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I guess you have TDC (fullrate, etc etc..) And using VDSL/ADSL. Could be bottleneck in the system, as the cables are pretty bad. (thin telephone copper cables)

yep i've got Fullrate and i can only get 50/10 because of limitations since i live in the old home of H.C Andersen.

and that in turn also means asians take pictures of my living room.

but the thing is that how can it be bottlenecked when it's only me who's on the phone watching videos.

sure it gets bottlenecked if i download a new game then my mom's radio app stops working since my pc draws all the internet but during the night when my pc is off it still happens.

9 minutes ago, flashiling said:

yep i've got Fullrate and i can only get 50/10 because of limitations since i live in the old home of H.C Andersen.

and that in turn also means asians take pictures of my living room.

but the thing is that how can it be bottlenecked when it's only me who's on the phone watching videos.

sure it gets bottlenecked if i download a new game then my mom's radio app stops working since my pc draws all the internet but during the night when my pc is off it still happens.

Oh cool! :D It gets bottlenecked by the copper line to the house. You might want to call Fullrate and ask them for a line measurement. They will be able to see if your on ASDL or VDSL. It's determined by a module located in the telephone box that your line is connected to. If your on ADSL, then you ask them for a technian (from TDC) to check the box and if their nice they might upgrade the module. Yes I used to work for an ISP.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Oh cool! :D It gets bottlenecked by the copper line to the house. You might want to call Fullrate and ask them for a line measurement. They will be able to see if your on ASDL or VDSL. It's determined by a module located in the telephone box that your line is connected to. If your on ADSL, then you ask them for a technian (from TDC) to check the box and if their nice they might upgrade the module. Yes I used to work for an ISP.

i'm unable to upgrade though, not because of the box but because i use a phone stick to get internet from the wall.

both ASDL and VDSL is on a telephone stick. It's only the module that needs to be upgraded. (in the box outside of your house, it may be located on the nearest street, the green one) That's because the data signal is more compressed when using VDSL, carrying more data with the same type of cable than ADSL.

FS in Denmark/EU:

5 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

both ASDL and VDSL is on a telephone stick. It's only the module that needs to be upgraded. (in the box outside of your house, it may be located on the nearest street, the green one) That's because the data signal is more compressed when using VDSL, carrying more data with the same type of cable than ADSL.

i guess i can try that. though i'm not sure that they will upgrade it since my mom also doesn't want to spend more money on the internet.

But if it fixed the bottlenecking at night then it would be awesome.

14 minutes ago, flashiling said:

i guess i can try that. though i'm not sure that they will upgrade it since my mom also doesn't want to spend more money on the internet.

But if it fixed the bottlenecking at night then it would be awesome.

It should. Try calling them. TDC is planning on upgrading all boxes in DK anyway, and they often do if the existing module is causing problems. (bare sig at din forbindelse bliver langsom om aftenen og du tror at det er fordi der er mange på og så spørg om du sidder til ADSL eller VDSL og hvis de siger ADSL, så spørg om hvornår de regner med at upgradere til VDSL. Det koster 0kr fordi det ikke er inde i huset)

FS in Denmark/EU:

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

It should. Try calling them. TDC is planning on upgrading all boxes in DK anyway, and they often do if the existing module is causing problems. (bare sig at din forbindelse bliver langsom om aftenen og du tror at det er fordi der er mange på og så spørg om du sidder til ADSL eller VDSL og hvis de siger ADSL, så spørg om hvornår de regner med at upgradere til VDSL. Det koster 0kr fordi det ikke er inde i huset)

ooohhh.

big brain.

i'll try that

3 minutes ago, flashiling said:

ooohhh.

big brain.

i'll try that

Haha. Just worked as Support technian for 2 years and making 1000's of calls to TDC.. ? Hope it works out!

FS in Denmark/EU: