Why does my phone think I've been Wi-Fi connected before login with an account?

PleasantFuban

I have a problem. My university provides a Wi-Fi system in the living area and requires a student ID to log in (on a redirected page), which is fine. Every time I return to my room my phone (with Wi-Fi on) autoconnects it but the page doesn't prompt, and I need to manually call it in Wi-Fi settings (which is still fine). But before I log in, the phone seems to consider that I've been Wi-Fi connected to the Internet already (and switches to Wi-Fi mode), resulting in timeout everywhere (because the Wi-Fi is yet ready). Even though my mobile data is always on, all my applications just seem to ignore it, and no messages can be sent. I don't know why it is hungry for Wi-Fi so much. Sometimes I forget to log in before starting a game, and when I am about to make a full combo, the connect just happens in the way and everything switches to Wi-Fi and all my efforts go in vain.

However, my phone seems to know this - it says "requires login/authorization", but still nothing flows through the mobile data.

What I really wonder is why my phone loses Internet access as long as I connect to a Wi-Fi which requires an account to log in, no matter if mobile data is available. What's the mechanism behind this?

If you have an iPhone, open the settings for that wireless network and make sure “Auto Login” is enabled. “Auto Login” really means “automatically open up the login page when connecting to this wifi”.

If you’re on android, maybe they have something similar?

Other than a phone config issue, it is also possible that the network is configured to allow through the pages that iOS/Android use to check whether a login is required, so they think that one isn’t. I work with this type of equipment and can 100% confirm that every vendor has a setting to do this, but why anyone would want to I have no idea.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

If you have an iPhone, open the settings for that wireless network and make sure “Auto Login” is enabled. “Auto Login” really means “automatically open up the login page when connecting to this wifi”.

If you’re on android, maybe they have something similar?

Other than a phone config issue, it is also possible that the network is configured to allow through the pages that iOS/Android use to check whether a login is required, so they think that one isn’t. I work with this type of equipment and can 100% confirm that every vendor has a setting to do this, but why anyone would want to I have no idea.

I'm on Android and there's only an auto connect button(which is always on), not auto login. And I've confirmed that it's a system bug that the login page does not always open.

Honestly I don't know which vendor it is using, but the university's network center manages it all and we just connect to it. I think it's more like a phone issue since it knows a login is needed. And when I enter my password, it just says "connected" and everything is good to go. It's hard to believe that this is another system bug, so I think there must be something behind it.