Why Linus nearly ever uses NVIDIA GPUs

46 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Their GPU portfolio is awful and so is their driver support,  it always feels to me like they aren't even trying. 

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

I mean the RX 580 is the top AMD card in this chart for example ,  at #14...

Really you draw your numbers of one Gaming Store ^^

There are many users for Example Video Editors they are not listet at Steam

There are much Sites where you can read the actuall Market Shares from the Companys Sells direct where are all Card sales listed

Just now, Nuklearfire said:

This depends what you understand about highend...

nVidia makes stronger graphics cards at the moment, it's not that hard to understand.

1 minute ago, Nuklearfire said:

The Radeon RX 5700 XT($389.99) is with 13.838 3D Mark Points not that bad when you compare also the price of the RTX 2080 Ti($1049.00) with 16.695 3D Mark Point

Great, but I didn't mention price to performance nor is that a good metric to use when looking at what is considered 'highend' because nearly all apex products are a much poorer value than the more budget-orientated options (with some notable exceptions like the 1080Ti). So comparing the price is irreverent and comparing the 3DMark scores only underlines the point I was making about AMD not having any high end options.

3 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I use AMD Cards since my HD6990 ^^ (i believe it was 2010) and in the Hole time i have only 1 time an Issue with the Driver wich was a Beta Driver

That is bully for you, but, on the whole, AMD is considered to have worse driver support and optimization - particularly on new launches.

6 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

That is a how cares for me

Not everyone is you? And, objectively, nVidia cares are more power efficient - that is one reason that Linus, for example, used one in the recent build when he was trying to make the most electrically efficient machine he could via undervolting.

7 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Maybe but i never had any Issues with my Cards except on Fan issue but this maybe only was a delivery issue because the box already had a crush

Again, that is great, but, on the whole, people have had more issues with AMD cards, particularly new ones like the 5700 and 5700XT, than they do with nVidia. That is not to say that nVidia cards haven't had issues, like when the bad lot of dies was mistakenly sent to the production line, but, in general, the launches have been smoother and overall experience less prone to problems (in part because nVidia has a much larger staff to work on drivers and other things of that nature).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

8 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

That website seems to be drawing pricing data from the current market price for new hardware and, since the 1080Ti has reached end of life, that is a somewhat flawed methodology considering that almost no one will buy a new in box 1080Ti when they can get a used one for around $450-ish USD (depending on the model and local/regional pricing trends). Historically the 1080Ti has been much closer to $700-800 than $950 and the original MSRP was $699.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

1 minute ago, Amaranth said:

nVidia makes stronger graphics cards at the moment, it's not that hard to understand.

I allready said that i know that NVidia had the fastest Graphiccards 

3 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Great, but I didn't mention price to performance nor is that a good metric to use when looking at what is considered 'highend' because nearly all apex products are a much poorer value than the more budget-orientated options (with some notable exceptions like the 1080Ti). So comparing the price is irreverent and comparing the 3DMark scores only underlines the point I was making about AMD not having any high end options.

Really you say a several times not everybody is you and than you say "i dont mention the price" 

The most buyers do.

5 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Not everyone is you? And, objectively, nVidia cares are more power efficient - that is one reason that Linus, for example, used one in the recent build when he was trying to make the most electrically efficient machine he could via undervolting.

Yes in some cases the Power Consumption matters i also have an i5-6400T in my server because it was one of the CPUs at that Time that has okay Performance with low Powr Consumption but if we talk about High End Graphic Cards i dont think this is one of the Highest Priority of the Buyers

17 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

AMD marketshare was since 2010 not lower then 18% and at the moment they are at 27%

So 3 out of 4 are Nvidia cards. 

And if you look at the Steam chart I linked this  isn't even reflected there, Nvidia somehow manages to roll all over AMD  in an actual real life situation / chart. 

IMG_20191204_131622.thumb.jpg.26dd3c95ad4bf0da847f57878eb257e0.jpg

37 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

stupid hatter Post like yours

Yeah,  I don't think it's possible for me to have a mature discussion with you, and it's also a good example of what I was talking about in my post... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

does Nvidia have the best top end cards right now. Yes

does Nvidia have the majority market share right now. Yes

does Nvidia have the better price/performance right now. I don't know

are AMD GPU's bad? Not the new ones, i've heard many reccomend them.

are Nvidias new GPU's better than the new AMD GPU's? Currently yes, they have also overstocked the market with different cards so most priceranges have an Nvidia card in them so they also get seen more by the more "casual" consumer.

30 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Is that the reason that nvidia has to chruch their Prices every time AMD launches a new Card or Overclock their Cards and make them "Super" to not lose their Marketshare ?

yes ofc there is, there is competition and currently Nvidia are overpricing their cards a little so when AMD comes out with a new compettetive card they're gonna lower the prices so they aren't selling worse cards at bigger price points, that's how normal marketing works, but they also have the flexibility to do so since they are leading by such a big margin.

Does that mean they are scared of losing the Nr 1 spot to AMD? No i doubt they can lose the throne that fast it's going to take some time, but are they securing that they will keep it? definitly and ofc they will.

33 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Why they not are Compareable for this reason there are Benchmarks.

When you say something like this you should say why.

they aren't comparable because of the date they were released. it's like comparing an audi from 2014 with a new one from 2019.

There are different types of engineering in the cars because there has been 5 years of knowledge between the releasedate of the cars.

In the Computer industry every other year we have improved our components by a significant amount and that improvement is so big that it makes less sense to compare them.

That doesn't mean the old cards are bad, but they're like apples and oranges.

37 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

For my Opinion they are not i run on an Vega 56 for under 300$ had never Driver Issues Running on 3 Monitors playing on the middle one while Watch Videos on the right one and had some Internet Sites open on the left one or answer stupid hatter Post like yours

it also depends on what your graphics card needs to be doing.

Currently i'm running on integrated graphics from an intel i3 8109U with two monitors up.

That isn't very demanding (only on the ram with the intense amount of chrome tabs i have open).

and depending on the game it's not very impressive, The Binding of Isaac at 1080p on the middle one with two chrome tabs on the other one is super easy to do.

4k resolution everything on ultra in a new flagship game might make a difference.

I think i understand your logic behind some of the answers but the discussion at this point is many people quotiong other comments where one might be lacking some depth and that leads to people reacting differently and at this point it seems like you're just spewing out your opinions and that's okay, you have your opinions but facts are facts and arguing against facts is like complaining that you can't fly. (i'm not going to read everything back and point out the places where this happened and i also can't say that everything someone has posted is 100% accurate)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

That website seems to be drawing pricing data from the current market price for new hardware and, since the 1080Ti has reached end of life, that is a somewhat flawed methodology considering that almost no one will buy a new in box 1080Ti when they can get a used one for around $450-ish USD (depending on the model and local/regional pricing trends). Historically the 1080Ti has been much closer to $700-800 than $950 and the original MSRP was $699.

And also $699 is a much higher Price then $349 

9 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Really you draw your numbers of one Gaming Store

Its the gmaing store to draw numbers from.

The one everyone uses. Valuegamers or not. These are really good indicators of current market usage. Developers use these numbers.  

10 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

There are much Sites where you can read the actuall Market Shares from the Companys Sells direct where are all Card sales listed

Indeed, tho these show current sales. Not marketshare and usage. 

3 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

The most buyers do.

Yeah, and most buy a 250$ graphicscard. 

You know who owns that market segment?

Nvidia with the best valueofferings in the market of new GPUs. 

Okay i stop here because my original opinion only was to see more Compares with same Budget between AMD and Nvidia

I never said that they build bad GPUs.

I ALREADY SAID SEVERAL TIMES THAT THEY HAVE THE BEST CARDS

i only was interessted about to see Compares in the same Budget

1 minute ago, Nuklearfire said:

I allready said that i know that NVidia had the fastest Graphiccards 

Great, you can grasp objective facts - that's a start.

2 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

The most buyers do

I never said they didn't... But you, rather confusingly, brought up price to performance when I pointed out that nVidia has better performance and AMD has no highend options. And given that neither of those really ties into the price you can find something at it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring it up - also, as I said, higher end components are often have worse price to performance but more objective power (the matter that was being discussed at the time).

but if we talk about High End Graphic Cards i dont think this is one of the Highest Priority of the Buyers

And, as we've both agreed, AMD doesn't offer any high end options at the moment - so the power efficiently is just an added bonus!

We get it, you like AMD GPUs but please at least try to make a coherent, valid argument.  

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

When they see value in the recommendation, they'll do it.

They haven't stopped covering Ryzen since it launched.

The value oozed from those chips. Radeon GPUs, not so much.

Radeon needs some decisive wins in the upper ends of each segment before we see them spoken about endlessly.

LMG isn't the only ones either. Most Youtubers are doing builds where the majority of Radeon GPUs just don't fit.

You could argue that more mid-range content should be done overall, but it's the high end stuff that brings the numbers in.

It's pretty clear from your profile pic that you have fanboy tendencies, so it's very easy to dismiss most of your arguments esp with how you're speaking to people.

Passion is one thing, blind allegiance is another.

9 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

And also $699 is a much higher Price then $349 

The 1080Ti also came out several years ago... And AMD has yet to launch a card that matches it across the board (the 5700XT will in some cases but in others it falls short). I don't see how bringing up launch pricing it relevant considering that, and this might shock you, a several year old graphics card can be found for much cheaper than it's launch price on the used market if you need one and there are other, newer GPUs with similar performance for less money if you want something new.

Edit:

The $699 launch price for the 1080Ti was also one of the best GPU deals of all time when it came to price to performance so...

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

I like Price / Performance Value not AMD as him self.

And when somebody ask me for the Best Card I always say what NVidias Top Model at the Actual time is

I dont hate or love both of them.

A Company how sells the most of their Products because they are cheaper will never build the best Products

I dont ask about the best Card 

Okay i stop here because my original opinion only was to see more Compares with same Budget between AMD and Nvidia

Linus has videos like that, lots of TechTubers do - although they also tend to prefer nVidia for their showcase builds since they're the higher end cards and, unless you're specifically going for a budget build, people like looking at premium builds (that's also why Linus puts RGB on everything and does all the custom hardline loops).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

29 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Which videos should i give you a link to

if you mean the Video with NVidia and 7nm i have seen this on Television so there is no link

7 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I never said that they build bad GPUs.

I ALREADY SAID SEVERAL TIMES THAT THEY HAVE THE BEST CARDS

i only was interessted about to see Compares in the same Budget

You are talking about LinusTechTips videos, correct? Then link to build video where they used Nvidia cards instead of AMD when choosing AMD would have been better option. This is the basis of the post, right?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I like Price / Performance Value not AMD as him self.

Then you must have loved the 1080Ti! ?

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

And thats the Point because i used AMD Cards at the Last years i was interessted in the Compares because of a eventualy Change to Nvidia

1 hour ago, Nuklearfire said:

And thats the Point because i used AMD Cards at the Last years i was interessted in the Compares because of a eventualy Change to Nvidia

And you are going to LTT for benchmarks?

If you want that. Look at hardware unboxed or gamer nexus. 

LTT doesnt serve that kind of content. 

1 hour ago, Nuklearfire said:

A Company how sells the most of their Products because they are cheaper will never build the best Products

Thats what AMD has done. Heck thats what intel has done. And both have "best" products.

Im a very price to performance considerate person. Both Nvidia and AMD  has their market segments. 

Nvidia just occupies the high end abd 200-280$ pricepoint. 

The pricepoint where it matters.

The most obvious reason is because Nvidia has the largest market share so many more people can relate to Nvidia than can relate to AMD when it comes to video cards.   Don't forget that Linus is always going to try to cater to the largest audience.

3 hours ago, Nuklearfire said:

show me 2 Radeon Card Builds from the last half year

I'm not in a position to search for them right now, but for starters look up the build at different price points video. I think two of the systems in that used AMD graphics, although one was an APU.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

also keep in mind who gives linus money for promotion air time

could be heavily favored to one company because they have paid him more money over the years

something to keep in mind

19 hours ago, amdorintel said:

also keep in mind who gives linus money for promotion air time

could be heavily favored to one company because they have paid him more money over the years

something to keep in mind

The Money the most of a Time dont comes from Nvidia or AMD it comes from Manufatures like ASUS or Gigabyte and they sell both AMD and Nvidia Cards so that will not be a Reason.

But Guys and Girls (dont let me forget them) my Point from the beginning of this thread was a Compare in the Same Buget.and the Performance to it.

There are some kinds of Benchmark Sites but they have sometimes some really big difference.

so on the side i mostly look there is a 

RTX 2060 Super       with  13.830 3D-Mark Point for 409$ and a 

Radeon RX5700 XT with   13.819 3D-Mark Point for 389.99 

and thei are so thight that i dont see a reason to spend 20$ for 11 Points in Benchmark when you think there is a difference from up 2 20 Point when i run the same  Benchmarks 3 Times on the same System in aRow

@Nuklearfire

Price per points? 

$409/13.830= $29.5734 per point.

$389.99/13.819= $28.2212 per point. 

Almost similar. Factor that in with how many NVIDIA cards there are, people being comfortable with them(keep in mind people will pay more to stick with something they know), typically better driver support, better optimization, and the power efficiency. I'd be willing to bet that if someone here that was better than me at math sat down and did it, in the life of the cards based on power savings the 2060 ends up being cheaper by EOL. 

Cant forget the RTX. You're also paying $1.35 per point for a feature that Radeon doesn't have.

You're also pointing to not caring about the efficiency of the machine because power is cheap. 2060s is 175W compared to the 5700XT at 225W. That's almost 25% more efficient. That's a huge difference.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?