Why Linus nearly ever uses NVIDIA GPUs

Most of the Time there are equivalent GPUs at AMD. For example instead of an RTX 2070 he also can uses a RX 5700 XT.

And in Budget PCs there is sometimes a better Performance per Dollar at AMD Cards.

Example on Benchmarks

Model                              3DMark                 Price

Geforce GTX 1080         12.458                   $ 579,99

Radeon RX 5700            12.307                  $ 349,90

Geforce GTX 1080Ti       14.223                  $ 949.99

Radeon VII                      14.145                  $ 549.99

Many builds are meant to be high end. Sorry AMD aren't playing in that area yet.

Many builds are about other things than the GPU, so it doesn't really matter what they use.

I think they do use AMD GPUs sometimes in budget builds, but they don't do many builds these days... in part it also depends on what's new. Without going through the history of video releases, was there something about the navi launch? Or was that somewhat overshadowed by the timing coinciding with Zen 2 which is a lot more interesting.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Why Linus nearly ever uses NVIDIA GPUs

NVIDIA's GPUs are better, use less power, run cooler and have better and more up-to-date drivers?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1. Better not when you also look to the Price as i showed in my Post

2. use less Power, how cares of 20 Watts more or less PSUs costs almost no Monay

3. running cooler depends on the Cooler of the Manufature

4. Driver i never had issues with My AMD Cards

21 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Example on Benchmarks

Model                              3DMark                 Price

Geforce GTX 1080         12.458                   $ 579,99

Radeon RX 5700            12.307                  $ 349,90

Geforce GTX 1080Ti       14.223                  $ 949.99

Radeon VII                      14.145                  $ 549.99

GTX 1080 release date: May 2016
RX 5700 release date: July 2019

GTX 1080Ti release date: March 2017
Radeon VII release date: February 2019

You're wondering why LTT used the GTX 1080Ti or GTX 1080 in videos instead of the RX 5700 or Radeon VII? It should be pretty obvious. The AMD cards didn't exist when they were making those videos that featured the GTX 1080 or GTX1080 Ti. The AMD cards were released years later.

Edit: Also, where did you get the prices for the Nvidia cards from? The 1080Ti had a MSRP starting at $699 USD. Not $949.
Regardless it's kind of a moot point trying to compare prices of cards that are no longer being sold. You can pick up a 1080Ti 2nd hand for around $350. Maybe cheaper if you find a good deal. GTX 1080 or GTX 1070 Ti (practically same performance) can be had for around $250ish 2nd hand. Cheaper than a new RX 5700.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1. Better not when you also look to the Price as i showed in my Post

Best compare with current nvidia cards as that is what people would be really buying now. 

4. Driver i never had issues with My AMD Cards

AMD seem to have focused on gaming with navi. Since I don't own one, I've not followed closely but for compute uses, the Windows driver sounds like it is totally broken.

Actually the VII is a unique card in that area. It has high throughput FP64 rate compared to other consumer cards. I know many who buy it just for that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

They often do high end builds for which AMD does not yet have an offering.  They also reuse the same boot drive on their builds to save time, which means by using nvidia cards it can be plug and play, where as constantly switching between nvidia and AMD would require reinstalling drivers.  Combined this means they will typically stick with nvidia, but that's not to say they're biased against AMD.  They review and recommend them when appropriate, they just don't necessarily split the "show off" builds 50/50 for the reasons I listed above.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I know that in the last years Nvidia Rulez the Benchmark lists but when you compare to the same Price they are often 

on the same level. But it would be interesting to make a video to compare Nvidia and AMD GPUs on the same Price

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They often do high end builds for which AMD does not yet have an offering.  They also reuse the same boot drive on their builds to save time, which means by using nvidia cards it can be plug and play, where as constantly switching between nvidia and AMD would require reinstalling drivers.  Combined this means they will typically stick with nvidia, but that's not to say they're biased against AMD.  They review and recommend them when appropriate, they just don't necessarily split the "show off" builds 50/50 for the reasons I listed above.

Oh come on how long does it take to make an boot drive with preinstalled AMD Driver. ^^ 

Linus could take out his Label Maschine again and Label the Boot Drives with AMD or NVidia.

And they make often Budget Builds where they always uses Nvidia Cards instead of the cheaper AMD Cards 

34 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

For example instead of an RTX 2070 he also can uses a RX 5700 XT.

And often for good reasons. 

35 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

And in Budget PCs there is sometimes a better Performance per Dollar at AMD Cards.

Most of the time thats is true. And its reflected in their builds if you havent noticed

Just now, Nuklearfire said:

they make often Budget Builds where they always uses Nvidia Cards instead of the cheaper AMD Cards 

Point out a buildguide where they did that. And where it wasnt a sponsored piece by Asus or similar where they "dont" choose parts at all. 

As bad as they are at choosing PC parts in their earlier days. They allways had a decebt eye when it came to value

10 minutes ago, pizapower said:

AMD can't beat NVIDIA. When NVIDIA goes 7nm then GAME OVER for AMD like always.

AMD can beat NVidia because Nvidia is not able to switch to 7nm at the Moment like Intel is not able to at the moment

AMD can beat NVidia because Nvidia is not able to switch to 7nm at the Moment like Intel is not able to at the moment

Why not? NVIDIA uses the same company to make GPUs like AMD.

because Nvidias Layouts of Chipdesign is not Prepared for 7nm AMD´s is. I'v seen a video where they say that they are on the way to do 7nm but the planned time was shown at 2023 for the first launch.

And sorry my not that perfect english iam from Austria

LMG has a literal stockpile of NVidia GPUs, of course they are going to use them.

1 minute ago, Nuklearfire said:

because Nvidias Layouts of Chipdesign is not Prepared for 7nm AMD´s is. I'v seen a video where they say that they are on the way to do 7nm but the planned time was shown at 2023 for the first launch.

And sorry my not that perfect english iam from Austria

as always, node size doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

you say 

AMD can beat NVidia

but they don't. NVidia is still GPU king, node size doesn't magically flip that.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

I hope you are right otherwise NVIDIA gets the best GPU cores and AMD leftovers.

Yes and maybe they never will be on Top. I never said that they build better Cards as i said befor but i Performance / $ they have much Cards that are interessting for many PC Builders at home

Yes and maybe they never will be on Top. I never said that they build better Cards as i said befor but i Performance / $ they have much Cards that are interessting for many PC Builders at home

LMG (and other such tech channels) specialize in over-the-top super expensive builds. so they will use the highest end hardware they have, which is Nvidia. When they do budget builds and more "reasonable" guides, you will find that they are more likely to use AMD

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

When i build my current PC I  had 270$ Budget left for a new GPU and  so i had to Choose between the Radeon Vega 56 or the Geforce GTX 1660 Ti an in the Benchmarks and also the Price the Vega was the better Choice.

And i am very impressed of the Performance of this Card.

13 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

It's not a matter of nvidia can't, more that they have not chosen to at this time. AMD decided to take the lead to 7nm. It worked out great on CPUs, but it's kinda meh on GPUs. Where they're placed, they're ok but they are going against an older node. There are advantages either way to staying back or moving forwards at a given time, unlike Intel's situation where they're struggling to go forward.

3 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Pricing is a business choice, not so much a technical one although of course it will be influenced by those too. GPUs will be priced in a way to maximise profits, which factors in both cost to manufacture as well as the competitive landscape.

You can use pricing as an indicator of confidence. If they have to low-ball the pricing, they know they're not quite there yet. On the flip side with CPUs, they know they can ask more for Zen 2 on the high end than they ever have because Intel wont have any response any time soon, and the pricing pressure is now falling onto Intel.

Okay maybe i only missed al the Build guides with AMD Cards i nearly never seen a build with AMD GPUs

6 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Okay maybe i only missed al the Build guides with AMD Cards i nearly never seen a build with AMD GPUs

AMD had nothing until this year to compete with NVidia. So very very rarely will AMD cards get in the videos for price to performance. See the LATEST VIDEO, where they checked the voltage/power draw as a requirement. Intel just lost out due to stocking issues (they could not get one in time) and so went AMD CPU (as well as the power draw IIRC there was a bug with the intel part they had), but HAD to go NVidia for power draw, as AMD cards cannot idle/under load that low a wattage. Same for me, only NVidia offer a low profile low watt GPU, and so I have a 1050ti to fit in my toaster.

28 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

Um.....

Nvidia can go to 7nm. Like no problem. They just dont need to. And Nvidia is known to take their time with nodes, as they havent had the best luck with bew nodes in the past. 

Intel's situation is that they fab their own chips. Neither Nvidia or AMD do that anymore. Their situation is not comparable.

21 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

but i Performance / $ they have much Cards that are interessting for many PC Builders at home

And that is reflected in LTT videos if you havent noticed

12 minutes ago, Nuklearfire said:

They dobt really do buildguides.

They do a build once in a while at. Given pricepoint or purpose. 

They do showcases, but thats not valueoriented in any sense