Replacing Storage drives

SPOOKLEZ_YT
Go to solution Solved by LunaP0n3,
24 minutes ago, SPOOKLEZ_YT said:

How can I transfer all my data from my hard drive to my SSD?

The process is called "cloning", and basically is a straight copy from one drive to another. It's useful to do if you don't want the hassle of reinstalling everything. Several programs exist to do the job.

My personal favourite is "Minitool Partition Wizard", and it has worked fine for me. As you are in a laptop situation, you'll need a USB 3 external enclosure / adapter or dock to connect the new drive to the system while it clones.

Once the cloning process is done, shut the laptop down, swap the drives, boot into the BIOS to make sure the drive shows up, then Windows should automatically boot from the new drive.

Keep the old drive on standby for a few weeks, to make sure that everything came over okay, then you can reformat the old drive, put it into an enclosure and use it as a portable drive.

The Techquickie Video below explains.

I looking to replace my HDD in my laptop to an SSD, i know that i need to reinstall windows into my laptop once I replace it with an SSD but i have multiple questons

1)  Do I need to reinstall the drivers for my laptop, if i do, can i just transfer all my data from my previous hard drive to my SSD so i don't have to reinstall the drivers?

2)  How can I transfer all my data from my hard drive to my SSD?

Hey, how are ya! 

I'm Spooklez and you can go ahead and check out my channel at youtube.com/ItsSpooklez. 

24 minutes ago, SPOOKLEZ_YT said:

How can I transfer all my data from my hard drive to my SSD?

The process is called "cloning", and basically is a straight copy from one drive to another. It's useful to do if you don't want the hassle of reinstalling everything. Several programs exist to do the job.

My personal favourite is "Minitool Partition Wizard", and it has worked fine for me. As you are in a laptop situation, you'll need a USB 3 external enclosure / adapter or dock to connect the new drive to the system while it clones.

Once the cloning process is done, shut the laptop down, swap the drives, boot into the BIOS to make sure the drive shows up, then Windows should automatically boot from the new drive.

Keep the old drive on standby for a few weeks, to make sure that everything came over okay, then you can reformat the old drive, put it into an enclosure and use it as a portable drive.

The Techquickie Video below explains.

Edited by LunaP0n3
Adding techquickie video

if you buy a samsung SSD you can use Samsung Migration

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Hi @SPOOKLEZ_YT

As @LunaP0n3 said, you will need to create an image of your entire PC that is on the HDD in your laptop, when you buy a new SSD ensure that it is bigger than the old HDD. If your laptop has a DVD drive and you fell comfortable about it, you could use the data and power cables that go to the DVD drive and connect in the new SSD there. You still need to put the new drive into the machine where the old drive was so that it boots from that device, though.

I have tried using Minitool Partition Wizard, but have found that the Acronis product has better support and tutorial materials and have purchased three versions of Acronis's true image. Their method of approach is a little different than the Mintool one. Instead of "cloning" the drive, you use Acronis to create a backup image then, recover / restore that system image (the backup) onto your newer (bigger) drive, effectively it is a clone of the original PC HDD image.

You can download a free trial of  Acronis's true image and use it for thirty days from the Acronis website -click here-

There are plenty of instructions on their website on how to use their software, for example, back up entire computer -click here- and then how to restore files using Acronis -click here-

I hope this helps ☮️

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I recommend Macrium Reflect Free for imaging and cloning. Btw, you do not need to reinstall your OS and programs. I've cloned several HDDs to SSDs and they booted up just fine.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!