port forwarding doesnt seem to work, helppp

kofman13

I have an asus RT-AC56R router. i followed all the instructions on portforward.com to open some game ports for my PS4 and im trying to test if i did it correctly. I am trying different websites that supposedly check forwarded ports and all of the ports im testing say "closed" on these sites. either these sites don't work or i did it wrong but its pretty straight forward i cant imagine i did it wrong. i have the port range, the local IP of the device, and the protocol type correct in my settings

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

It may not be you, your modem or isp may also have those ports closed.

1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

It may not be you, your modem or isp may also have those ports closed.

is there a way to find out? if its modem can i open them somehow? i have literally added huge ranges and dozens of single ports, all are saying blocked on these sites. is it possible that isp would block like every port lol? so crazy

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

If the modem has a web page to it then you might be able to open them, if your not sure run a trace route ("tracert" in windows cmd) to any ip/site your public ip will also work. Usually the second ip that it prints in that route is the modem put that ip in your browser and see if you can do anything.

Just now, cole0622 said:

If the modem has a web page to it then you might be able to open them, if your not sure run a trace route ("tracert" in windows cmd) to any ip/site your public ip will also work. Usually the second ip that it prints in that route is the modem put that ip in your browser and see if you can do anything.

https://www.grc.com/ so i found out using this site's tool that all my ports are "stealth" which means either ISP or my router firewall is blocking them. when i turn off my router firewall, all the ports show up as "closed" on this website tool. which means its a combination of me not doing the forwarding correctly, AND firewall blocking them on top of that it seems

8 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

hold up..... do i have to reboot my router after applying port forwarding settings?

probably not but give it a try

2 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

hold up..... do i have to reboot my router after applying port forwarding settings?

36 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

I have an asus RT-AC56R router. i followed all the instructions on portforward.com to open some game ports for my PS4 and im trying to test if i did it correctly. I am trying different websites that supposedly check forwarded ports and all of the ports im testing say "closed" on these sites. either these sites don't work or i did it wrong but its pretty straight forward i cant imagine i did it wrong. i have the port range, the local IP of the device, and the protocol type correct in my settings

Most ISPs provide you with a gateway (Modem+Router combo), if you plug a router in to a gateway then you have double NAT and double Firewalls. Its a pain to port forward in that case. You need to verify if you have a standard modem or a gateway. The easiest way to know is if the ISP box provides WiFi then its a gateway. You can put a gateway in to bridge modem that basically makes it in to a standard modem. This can either be done in the gateways settings or your ISP might have to do it. 

A second issue that you might have is Carrier Grade NAT. That means that your ISP ran out of Internet routable IPv4 addresses. So you and your neighbors would be sharing the same IP address. In this case your fucked. Because the ISP would have to port forward for YOU, and they are not likely to do that. I have heard that VPN's can get around this but that costs money generally. The easiest way to know if your CGNAT, is if your WAN IP is in the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x tnen its most likley carrier grade NAT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Most ISPs provide you with a gateway (Modem+Router combo), if you plug a router in to a gateway then you have double NAT and double Firewalls. Its a pain to port forward in that case. You need to verify if you have a standard modem or a gateway. The easiest way to know is if the ISP box provides WiFi then its a gateway. You can put a gateway in to bridge modem that basically makes it in to a standard modem. This can either be done in the gateways settings or your ISP might have to do it. 

A second issue that you might have is Carrier Grade NAT. That means that your ISP ran out of Internet routable IPv4 addresses. So you and your neighbors would be sharing the same IP address. In this case your fucked. Because the ISP would have to port forward for YOU, and they are not likely to do that. I have heard that VPN's can get around this but that costs money generally. The easiest way to know if your CGNAT, is if your WAN IP is in the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x tnen its most likley carrier grade NAT. 

we have the ISP modem, but no router from them, i use my own router. and all the devices on my network are 192.168.x.x.x

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

SP modem,

As i SAID, that could be a COMBO box. They do build modems and routers in to a single box. 90% of ISP's provide the combo units. Here in the US you generally get a Combo unit and if you want seperate then you have to buy your own. 

What is the model number of the ISP's box? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

As i SAID, that could be a COMBO box. They do build modems and routers in to a single box. 90% of ISP's provide the combo units. Here in the US you generally get a Combo unit and if you want seperate then you have to buy your own. 

What is the model number of the ISP's box? 

my bad i bought this modem as well its a Linksys DPC3008

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

my bad i bought this modem as well its a Linksys DPC3008

Thats one problem down. Now you have to figure out if your getting a public IP address from your ISP. Not familure with your router. But somewhere it should show Internet info. The WAN address is assigned by your ISP, if it starts with 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x OR 192.168.x.x then your on carrier grade NAT. Anything else is a Public IP. 

DONT POST YOUR WAN ADDRESS!!!! Just confirm that its not in the address above. Remember you have to check this on the router, not check your PC, becuase it will only show the private IP assigned to your PC by the router. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats one problem down. Now you have to figure out if your getting a public IP address from your ISP. Not familure with your router. But somewhere it should show Internet info. The WAN address is assigned by your ISP, if it starts with 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x OR 192.168.x.x then your on carrier grade NAT. Anything else is a Public IP. 

DONT POST YOUR WAN ADDRESS!!!! Just confirm that its not in the address above. Remember you have to check this on the router, not check your PC, becuase it will only show the private IP assigned to your PC by the router. 

Thank you for your help btw. in WAN section of my router it says "WAN connection type" "Automatic IP" should i change that?

EDIT: OK i got the info and its not any of those ips you mentioned

edit 2: i didnt restart router yet after adding the ports to forwarding because im uploading an important file for work. do you think that was the issue this entire time?

Just now, kofman13 said:

Thank you for your help btw. in WAN section of my router it says "WAN connection type" "Automatic IP" should i change that?

No, you need to verrify the WAN IP address. I dont know where this is displayed in your router. But every router I have ever owned had a page where your Internet info was displayed. You need to see if it matches the addresses I listed above. 

That would be kinda odd to have a double nat in a combo Ive never seen that. WAN address??? 184.53.32.210 idc. leave it as Auto

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

No, you need to verrify the WAN IP address. I dont know where this is displayed in your router. But every router I have ever owned had a page where your Internet info was displayed. You need to see if it matches the addresses I listed above. 

i edited my posted right before. i found my WAN and its not any of the ones you mentioned as CG nat

1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

That would be kinda odd to have a double nat in a combo Ive never seen that. WAN address???

Double NAT happens when you connect a router to a combo unit. As I stated above, 90% of ISP's provide Combo units. People then go out and buy a router and wonder why port forwarding doesnt work or they have strict NAT. The OP in this case has a standard cable modem and a seperate router. Which is good. Makes things a lot easier. 

oh, yeah when you posted i thought you were saying the combo is a double nat like ummmm

5 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

didnt restart router yet after adding the ports to forwarding because im uploading an important

That could be it. I had an old Dlink router that needed to be restarted if you even sneezed in a general direction of a setting. It was a piss poor design. Try that. Also, make sure what ever device your portforwarding  for has a static IP OR the IP address is reserved in the DHCP server. This is for that instance that you loose power and all your gear comes back and decides to pull new IP's from your router. Secondly make sure that ever your running that needs portforwarding is acutally running when you check the ports. The ports will only open when it detects activity that needs that port. 

For example if your trying to run a minecraft server. You would need the server to be running before it will open the ports. 

If that doesn't work temporarily put the computer on a DMZ just to see if it works don't leave it there. If it does then its a router problem if not then the isp is blocking you and you need to contact them and see if they will allow it.

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That could be it. I had an old Dlink router that needed to be restarted if you even sneezed in a general direction of a setting. It was a piss poor design. Try that. Also, make sure what ever device your portforwarding  for has a static IP OR the IP address is reserved in the DHCP server. This is for that instance that you loose power and all your gear comes back and decides to pull new IP's from your router. Secondly make sure that ever your running that needs portforwarding is acutally running when you check the ports. The ports will only open when it detects activity that needs that port. 

For example if your trying to run a minecraft server. You would need the server to be running before it will open the ports. 

hmm so according to what youre saying, its then pointless for me to check port openings with my laptop if im actually trying to check open ports for specific ps4 game server ports since my laptop and web browser are not actually running the service/ports

Just now, kofman13 said:

hmm so according to what youre saying, its then pointless for me to check port openings with my laptop if im actually trying to check open ports for specific ps4 game server ports since my laptop and web browser are not actually running the service/ports

Thats correct. The servcie has to be running for the port to open. So you can try maybe opening the game on your PS4 and then check on your laptop.