Between 4 TVs (on-sale), which to pick?

emeril322

So long story short, there's 4 TVs that I'm looking at and they're all pretty similar specc'd so I don't know which to go with. All are the same size (65").

• Vizio V655-G9
  • TCL 65S425
  • Samsung UN65NU6900FXZA
  • LG 65UM6900PUA

I know the TCL has a built in Roku, so it has apps for all the streaming services I use (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Crunchyroll, etc) as well as YouTube and some other stuff. Do the other TVs have the same stuff?

I'll never not recommend LG products. 

My only complaint is my LG G4/G5 had shit battery life. But I've had a 55" LG 4k TV for about 4 years and it's great. And I have a LG UWQHD Monitor now.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

I'll never not recommend LG products. 

My only complaint is my LG G4/G5 had shit battery life. But I've had a 55" LG 4k TV for about 4 years and it's great. And I have a LG UWQHD Monitor now.

Hmm ironically from what I was reading on https://www.rtings.com/ the LG is the lowest ranked out of the 4, with the other 3 being much more close to one another.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

https://www.rtings.com/  see if they have reviews.  Best way to make a good TV decision.

Already have 'em pulled up (which is why I'm kinda leaning away from the LG) but the other 3 are so damn close to one another lol.

i will say this ...samsung 6000 and 7000 series tvs hdr suffer from soap opera effect. it can be mitigated some but is always there

21 minutes ago, circeseye said:

i will say this ...samsung 6000 and 7000 series tvs hdr suffer from soap opera effect. it can be mitigated some but is always there

What about picture quality between the Samsung/TCL/Vizio?

picture wise the samsung looks good. (i use mine with my computer) but me personally wont touch a vizio. the tcl maybe but would get a hisence over a tcl

Just now, circeseye said:

picture wise the samsung looks good. (i use mine with my computer) but me personally wont touch a vizio. the tcl maybe but would get a hisence over a tcl

I'm not the best judge on picture since the TV I'm upgrading from is a 720p plasma from about a dozen years ago. I already bought the TCL, but I can easily make the swap if the Samsung is the superior set.

Why do you hate Vizio? And does the Samsung have all the same apps etc that the TCL does?

34 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

I'm not the best judge on picture since the TV I'm upgrading from is a 720p plasma from about a dozen years ago. I already bought the TCL, but I can easily make the swap if the Samsung is the superior set.

Why do you hate Vizio? And does the Samsung have all the same apps etc that the TCL does?

vizio is lower end quality to me.
samsung has more app access and a app store. tcl apps are limited but supports chromecast
tcl does not have a motion interpolation where samsung does which causes the "soap opera effect"
tcl has worse upscaling from 480p. 720 a bit better, 1080 is fine
color between the 2 are about the same
samsung has better hdr brightness over the tcl
and tcl has bad local dimming  the samsung doesnt have it which is nice when watching in a dark room

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

vizio is lower end quality to me.
samsung has more app access and a app store. tcl apps are limited but supports chromecast
tcl does not have a motion interpolation where samsung does which causes the "soap opera effect"
tcl has worse upscaling from 480p. 720 a bit better, 1080 is fine
color between the 2 are about the same

So you'd say the Samsung is a little bit better, and any app stuff I like on the TCL would be there on the Samsung as well? From the little I read, the motion interpolation can be turned off?

1 minute ago, emeril322 said:

So you'd say the Samsung is a little bit better, and any app stuff I like on the TCL would be there on the Samsung as well? From the little I read, the motion interpolation can be turned off?

yea the samsung in ways is better especially not having the local dimming. it has the same apps and even more then the tcl. as for the interpolation you can turn it off but samsungs way of doing hdr its still there to a degree...so at first its kind of annoying till you get used to it

3 minutes ago, circeseye said:

yea the samsung in ways is better especially not having the local dimming. it has the same apps and even more then the tcl. as for the interpolation you can turn it off but samsungs way of doing hdr its still there to a degree...so at first its kind of annoying till you get used to it

Damn then it boils down to me boxing my TCL back up and swapping it for the Samsung eh? lol

1 minute ago, emeril322 said:

Damn then it boils down to me boxing my TCL back up and swapping it for the Samsung eh? lol

if it was me i would. lol....even sdr (on computer) this screen looks good. but turn that interpolation off immediately lol (or leave it on and see what the fuss is about lol)

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

if it was me i would. lol....even sdr (on computer) this screen looks good. but turn that interpolation off immediately lol (or leave it on and see what the fuss is about lol)

Haha thanks for your input along with everyone else who chimed in!

If anyone else has 2-cents to chip in, I'm all ears of course. I won't be able to swap it until tomorrow afternoon anyhow.

15 hours ago, circeseye said:

On second thought I'm sticking with the TCL, I totally forgot the 20% off coupon doesn't apply to any Samsung TVs.... 

15 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

On second thought I'm sticking with the TCL, I totally forgot the 20% off coupon doesn't apply to any Samsung TVs.... 

lol well there is that

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

lol well there is that

Yep, I guess the TCL is just marginally lower than the Samsung. Overall, I think it's a good pick-up for under $350. You agree?

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

its not a bad price for a large 4k

Okay so my math was a little off. It wound up costing $290 for that 65" TCL 4k HDR. A pretty good price IMO.

Now I have to sell off my old 50" plasma lol, I wonder if I can get $100 for it ?

8 hours ago, emeril322 said:

Okay so my math was a little off. It wound up costing $290 for that 65" TCL 4k HDR. A pretty good price IMO.

Now I have to sell off my old 50" plasma lol, I wonder if I can get $100 for it ?

i had a old 50" plasma. couldnt sell it. so took it to recycler for 10 cent a pound.

13 hours ago, circeseye said:

i had a old 50" plasma. couldnt sell it. so took it to recycler for 10 cent a pound.

Oof, here's hoping someone will want it....