How to install this driver?

JGalsky

Hello all!  I just got a new LAN PCIe card and I have to install its drivers.  I downloaded the drivers from the website link shown on the instructions included in the box.  

I went ahead and uploaded a video of what I get when extracting the ZIP file with winRAR.

Still got a copy of the downloaded zip file? Were there instructions that you had to extract and install it manually?

frequently you just choose the download from the download pull down on your browser and run it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Still got a copy of the downloaded zip file? Were there instructions that you had to extract and install it manually?

frequently you just choose the download from the download pull down on your browser and run it.

How do I run it?  I downloaded it from Opera and I don't see the option to "run" it like on edge.

Wow.  Opera still exists?!  I haven’t messed with that thing in a loooong time.

random idea:  what happens if you double click on it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I recently switched to Opera, lol.  I love it.  

I did double click on it, thats what the vid shows.

Iirc the whole point of opera way back when was it was really light weight and partially Rand on a separate server so you could web browser on phones that didn’t quite have the power for it.  It was a palm phone thing.  Totally different now I suspect

ill see if I can actually get a look at any of those file names in the video...

Heh.  There are instructions.  Click on the file called readme.txt

Heh.  There are instructions.  Click on the file called readme.txt

These are them:

Credits
=== 
We are grateful to the makers of the following open source projects:
- [NSIS](http://nsis.sourceforge.net/)
- [SOUI](http://www.cnblogs.com/setoutsoft/p/3903677.html)  (MIT License)

SOUI License

The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2016 Æô³ÌÈí¼þ

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

++*><>%{*€£{

its a cover letter.  Where instructions are normally placed

++*><>%{*€£{

its a cover letter.  Where instructions are normally placed

Yeah... I read it thinking it was instructions...

Gnar.  This does not look like it’s supposed to be done this way.  Give up your new love long enough to download the driver in edge and make it go?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Gnar.  This does not look like it’s supposed to be done this way.  Give up your new love long enough to download the driver in edge and make it go?

Tried it in edge.  Pressed the "Open" button instead of "Save".  There is no "Run" button.  It just opened the winRAR window...

...because it’s a .rar file...  is go look on my machine but it’s down because of my own stupidity and I can’t.  I did this a couple days ago dangit.  Is it a right click?

There IS a way to do this but it’s eluding my dumb ol brain atm

I am currently fixing my install.  In the unfortunate event that someone who understands windows 10 better than me  (which should be just about everyone) fails to appear I will have something to check against.

4 hours ago, JGalsky said:

Hello all!  I just got a new LAN PCIe card and I have to install its drivers.  I downloaded the drivers from the website link shown on the instructions included in the box.  

I went ahead and uploaded a video of what I get when extracting the ZIP file with winRAR.

Extract files to  any your prefered folder. 

Now follow> 
1) Press Windows+R to display Run, input devmgmt.msc and tap OK.
this will open Devine manager window 
2) Find  for line named >  Network Adapters . 
There should be either unknown device if there are no drivers, or if there is old version. 
3)Right-click the device, and select the Update Driver option.
4) Click the Browse my computer for driver software option.
5) Click the Browse button.
6) Select the main folder with the content you have extracted earlier.
7)Click the 
OK button.
8)Check the 
Include subfolders option to allow the wizard to find the correct ".inf" file with the instructions to update the driver.
9) Click the 
Next button.

And the rest should be done by windows itself. 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Opera always where around. Yet it where highly underrated.  Personally I don't know why?
Cuz Opera use same Blink engine as Chrome. Yet seems it work slighly better and cause less PC/Laptop load.  And perform even slighly faster than chrome itself. 
And latest Opera GX(gaming browser) have feature to limit CPU, Ram and internet connection. Which is realy helpful  if you have slower hardware. 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Zip, rar etc. are archives. Do not run anything from inside. Unpack all files first then run exe or browse for drivers.