WAN/ISP - DHCP routed or PPPoE?

StareX

Hello guys,

I would like to say that I know the difference between DHCP and PPPoE, which means that DHCP connection connects automatically while PPPoE method is used to connect to an ISP using a dial up method with a username and password.

That out of the way I'd like to note that recently I have gotten a Fiberoptic connection.

Question is, which method should I choose? or is it area dependant? Speedwise I feel like there is a difference as it used different segments, and also a difference in speed even though that might just be placibo and how the Network in my ISP is routed.

I'd like this clarified tbh, I know that DHCP is a managed method, while PPPoE is a dial up method used in DSL connections but also Fiber ones.

What... Should I choose? (I tried both, and somehow I feel, or dunno, it's weird... But PPPoE seemed faster, might just be placebo)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Contact your ISP and see what they suggest?

Normally from what ive seen most fiber to the home is using dhcp to assign ips, and sometimes using 802.1x

DHCP is actually better - it does not interrupt the connection.

DHCP Advantage:

Clear, simple, less demanding on network resources, cheaper.

1) The simplicity and speed of configuration of termination devices and the client part.

2) Transparency of the mechanism of work and diagnostics.

3) The minimum size of service headers, CPU loads is high speed (According to personal experience, in the wifi context, during peak loads the difference is 2-3 times).

4) Easy to scale.

5 hours ago, Karnel30bill said:

DHCP is actually better - it does not interrupt the connection.

DHCP Advantage:

Clear, simple, less demanding on network resources, cheaper.

1) The simplicity and speed of configuration of termination devices and the client part.

2) Transparency of the mechanism of work and diagnostics.

3) The minimum size of service headers, CPU loads is high speed (According to personal experience, in the wifi context, during peak loads the difference is 2-3 times).

4) Easy to scale.

Could it be that moving to a DHCP Routed connection with my ISP, had caused some slowdowns and weird ping behavior? As in, they probably have their Network or DHCP setup incorrectly somehow?

Because for some reason, I don't know if it's a placebo or not, but PPPoE felt faster at some cases.

Unsure.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:45 PM, StareX said:

Hello guys,

I would like to say that I know the difference between DHCP and PPPoE, which means that DHCP connection connects automatically while PPPoE method is used to connect to an ISP using a dial up method with a username and password.

That out of the way I'd like to note that recently I have gotten a Fiberoptic connection.

Question is, which method should I choose? or is it area dependant? Speedwise I feel like there is a difference as it used different segments, and also a difference in speed even though that might just be placibo and how the Network in my ISP is routed.

I'd like this clarified tbh, I know that DHCP is a managed method, while PPPoE is a dial up method used in DSL connections but also Fiber ones.

What... Should I choose? (I tried both, and somehow I feel, or dunno, it's weird... But PPPoE seemed faster, might just be placebo)

PPPoE is an authentication method. Whether you need to use it or not depends on how your ISP authenticates connections.

Traditionally DSL (and VDSL) would authenticate using PPPoE, and DOCSIS would authenticate using the MAC Address.

Technically both are DHCP (for consumer connections).

There should be no performance difference. PPPoE is only about initiating the connection and authorizing the end user (you) - once the connection is established, there should be no difference between PPPoE vs MAC Authentication.

TL;DR: You need to call your ISP and find out what settings to use.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)