1440p Upgrade

maximef1

Hey guys, I've recently acquired a new 1440p 144hz monitor. I'd like suggestion to run Total War Warhammer 2 in 1440p max graphics. Right now I can only manage to 1440p with low-ish settings with a poor FPS. I don't do any editing on the machine, but I do like big strategy games like those from the Total War saga. 

Here are my specs:

• 980ti
  • i7 4790k
  • 16GB DDR3 2133mhz RAM
  • The motherboard is the Z97-A

Money currently isn't an issue and I like the prospect of future-proofing, but I'd rather not purely waste money away.

Blindly browsing the web, I thought about purchasing a i9-9900k, a i7-9700k and a 2080ti. I've also thought about just building a whole new computer since I think my motherboard would serve as a bottleneck to new CPUs.

Do you guys think it'd be worth upgrading all both the graphics card and the CPU? Perhaps even the RAM? Or am I safe to keep the i7 4790k for a while longer? Is there any juicy rumours about Nvidia or Intel that would entice me to wait a few more months before I upgrade?

First post, sorry if something's not right haha!

Edit 1: Nothing is overclocked. I'm not against overclocking, I just have zero idea what to do and I'm a little scared of frying my components.

Thanks, 

--Max, hailing from the snowy lands of Canada ($CAD)

I'd go for something like this. Big strategy games eat a lot of RAM (i went with 32) and need a good CPU. the 2080Super should be able to deal with the max details.