Gigabit but its not Gigabit

So my friend is paying for gigabit internet through cox, they have a technicolor-cgm4141 which claims to be a gigabit Modem/Router however they are only getting 100mbps through ethernet and about 300mbps over wifi on 5 GHz from about 10 feet away. The ethernet cord may only be able to push 100mbps not sure If its a cat5 or not (Most likely, is she bought it from best buy) however i feel like they should at least be getting better wifi speeds though. The Modem/Router was recommended and installed by cox for gigabit so not sure where the problem lies. Any info would help, Thank you!

What is connected to the Ethernet? A computer? What is it's network adapter like?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yep.  Providers will do that.  If you look at the contract it will say “up to”. They’ll give you what they can conveniently give you, but they’ll also take whatever you want to spend.  It’s arguably illegal.

they offered a service they can’t actually provide.
  Have your friend reduce his payment to what he is actually getting and demand the money back from the company he overpaid.

It is theoretically possible that he is actually getting gigabit at his header.  I doubt it though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Your friend most likely has a 802.11n connection, which maxes around 300megabits when running at 20mhz dual antenna mode. Connection between router and computer is definitely why he/she is getting 100megabits. FYI: You will not be getting gigabit over wifi easily. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

What is connected to the Ethernet? A computer? What is it's network adapter like?

Its a computer with a b450 tomahawk whould have no problem with gigabit (Also Tested on an MSI gl63 9sdk Laptop)

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Your friend most likely has a 802.11n connection, which maxes around 300megabits when running at 20mhz dual antenna mode. Connection between router and computer is definitely why he/she is getting 100megabits. FYI: You will not be getting gigabit over wifi easily. 

The wifi is 802.11ax i believe and the 100 mbps is over ethernet its like 350 over wifi

1 minute ago, Jharring0701 said:

Its a computer with a b450 tomahawk whould have no problem with gigabit (Also Tested on an MSI gl63 9sdk Laptop)

Cable might be an issue, you should use Cat 5e or Cat 6 and make sure the cable has no hard bends.

To get close to Gigabit over Wi-Fi you'd need at least 802.11ac on both router and the device(s). Also remember that Wi-Fi is a shared medium, the more devices you have (and/or neighbors on the same channel) the slower it'll be.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Cable might be an issue, you should use Cat 5e or Cat 6 and make sure the cable has no hard bends.

To get close to Gigabit over Wi-Fi you'd need at least 802.11ac on both router and the device(s). Also remember that Wi-Fi is a shared medium, the more devices you have (and/or neighbors on the same channel) the slower it'll be.

Yeah that makes sense just havent seen this much of a loss before in speeds over wifi

UPDATE**

Just figured out that the Ethernet cable is a CAT6 not sure why im ony getting 100mbps because both router and motherboard state that they have 1000mbps speeds

12 minutes ago, Jharring0701 said:

Yeah that makes sense just havent seen this much of a loss before in speeds over wifi

May want to check whether the modem/router actually has a gigabit port. If the computer isn't directly connected (e.g. switch in between) those devices also need to support gigabit.

On the computer, right click Network, then Open Network & Internet settings, then click View your network properties. There should be a value reported as Link speed (Receive/Transmit), does it say 1000/1000 (Mbps)?

I would check the configuration on the PC and see if the interface is seeing gigabit or 100M, Cat6 can do up to 10G so if it is what that cable says it is. Then that can't really be the cable.

Looking at the specs of that router those two ports on the back are 10/100/1000 so they should support 1G

6 minutes ago, Jharring0701 said:

UPDATE**

Just figured out that the Ethernet cable is a CAT6 not sure why im ony getting 100mbps because both router and motherboard state that they have 1000mbps speeds

How are you testing download speed? It's also quite possible that the server you're downloading from doesn't supply more than 100 Mbps to a single client.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

How are you testing download speed? It's also quite possible that the server you're downloading from doesn't supply more than 100 Mbps to a single client.

im using speedtest by ookla but the wifi is showing higher then 100 so i dont think its that

Just now, Jharring0701 said:

im using speedtest by ookla but the wifi is showing higher then 100 so i dont think its that

True. Have you also checked the Link Speed reported by Windows?

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

May want to check whether the modem/router actually has a gigabit port. If the computer isn't directly connected (e.g. switch in between) those devices also need to support gigabit.

On the computer, right click Network, then Open Network & Internet settings, then click View your network properties. There should be a value reported as Link speed (Receive/Transmit), does it say 1000/1000 (Mbps)?

alright it says 100mbps is there any way to make it show up as 1000mbps the motherboard specs says it can be 1000

12 minutes ago, Jharring0701 said:

alright it says 100mbps is there any way to make it show up as 1000mbps the motherboard specs says it can be 1000

The speed you see is the speed negotiated between the computer's NIC and whatever it is connected to.

You could connect the computer to another computer and/or laptop. If that shows 1000 Mbps then the motherboard (and cable) are definitely not the issue. I'd suspect the most likely culprit is the router. What kind of router is it?

For example I have a FritzBox here and by default it's LAN ports were switched to some kind of "energy save" mode, which limited them to 100 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps. Of course its possible the router doesn't support it and needs to be upgraded.

~edit: Here's a screenshot of the network settings on my router, maybe yours has something similar.

Spoiler

1929041205_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0323-10-54.png.85e8fba644b7031e7fc315e35b12b90a.png

31 minutes ago, Jharring0701 said:

Looking at specs.  Tomahawk does have gigabit wired ethernet but no wifi

29 minutes ago, Jharring0701 said:

If you’ve got WiFi it’s on a card.  What card?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@Jharring0701

the laptop has gigabit Ethernet too so it could be used to test the cable.

a way to test the actual cox router exists with the laptop as well.  If the cable tests as gigabit, run it to the Cox router and see if it gets gigabit too.

Im still suspecting Cox.

46 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The speed you see is the speed negotiated between the computer's NIC and whatever it is connected to.

You could connect the computer to another computer and/or laptop. If that shows 1000 Mbps then the motherboard (and cable) are definitely not the issue. I'd suspect the most likely culprit is the router. What kind of router is it?

For example I have a FritzBox here and by default it's LAN ports were switched to some kind of "energy save" mode, which limited them to 100 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps. Of course its possible the router doesn't support it and needs to be upgraded.

~edit: Here's a screenshot of the network settings on my router, maybe yours has something similar.

Reveal hidden contents

1929041205_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0323-10-54.png.85e8fba644b7031e7fc315e35b12b90a.png

He gives the router model in the OP, here is the model technicolor-cgm4141 and after looking into it, that router does support 1G on the two LAN ports that is has.

Could be a setting somewhere on the device that has it set to 100Mb/s like you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

@Jharring0701

the laptop has gigabit Ethernet too so it could be used to test the cable.

a way to test the actual cox router exists with the laptop as well.  If the cable tests as gigabit, run it to the Cox router and see if it gets gigabit too.

Im still suspecting Cox.

Yeah i think i figured out that the router has like a low power mode or something so it only pushes 100mbps through that port and i cant even get into the router settings because cox made the password something different that no one knows and the owner doesnt want me to do a factory reset on it to get into the settings. 

so You can’t even check if it’s gigabit...  the owner?  This an apartment building?  Who paid for the installation?

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

so You can’t even check if it’s gigabit...  the owner?  This an apartment building?  Who paid for the installation?

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/Technicolor

You could try the default credentials for that router

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32095046-Gigablast-Technicolor-CGM4141

According to this it's "admin" "password" for cox though

Providing signal levels from the modem would also be helpful, this could simply be an issue with interference or poor signal line quality.

Even if you cannot login sometimes you can view these on a info page.

Make sure its getting 32 Channels Locked with QAM256 Modulation.

Powers for each channel should be -8 to +8dBmv 0 being ideal

SNR 33dB and higher on each channel 36 and higher is ideal.

Check for high amounts of Uncorrectables on each channel

On the upstream side of things Power should be no higher than 52dBmV with 49 and lower being ideal. If any of these are out of range you have a line quality issue. Readings fluctuate check them with as close to no activity as possible and again while loading the line with a speed test.

I would factory reset the device as well. A cable modem configuration comes from the CTMS as far as speed and connection wise when it first boots up.

This should reset user name and password to default as stated in a prior post above.

Run though the settings check for any power savings and disable, also for wifi make sure its set to it highest settings N/AC/AD/AX whatever it support with channel width set to its maximum settings connect directly to the modem with the laptop or desktop to configure and run speed test.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

most download speeds are meassured in gb/s which is gigabyte/second, if they wrote that they sold him gigabit ethernet then it's 8x slower than 1000gb/s

some companies have done this and some people misunderstood the difference between gigabit and byte.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.