Linus Office Upgrade - MKBHD Edition

James
35 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

If memory serves me right, they blurred his key chain in previous videos too, probably has something confidential along with his keys.

Probably has something to do with their server.

At the resolution they record+upload at, someone could theoretically get a good enough picture of the keys to create a copy.

9 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i'm more confused than before.... i have no idea what a Rj45 cable has to do with them blurring the background thing on the wall

39 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

If memory serves me right, they blurred his key chain in previous videos too, probably has something confidential along with his keys.

They do normally blur keys in their videos. It's because you can replicate keys from a photo/video by looking at the bitting (the pattern of the 'teeth') of the key.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I like how Yvonne knows how to operate a canon c200 like a champ   

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

You can clone a key from a photo. Really cool I think. 

14 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i'm more confused than before.... i have no idea what a Rj45 cable has to do with them blurring the background thing on the wall

There's nothing confidential about the RJ45, they blur it because they don't want anyone to copy the keys.

If you know the bit of a key (aka the pattern) you can make one and get into spaces you shouldn't get into.

RJ45 is the name of your ethernet connector. Because switches can use different ports (SFP is another very common one) I wanted to make clear what kind of connector it uses.

To give you an idea how far keys can get you:

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

10:42

"Strength is accepting help when you need it"

David probably said this mostly as a joke.. But I actually thought those were some really inspiring words, which I am glad he said.

Really like the pencil holders by the way!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 hours ago, amdorintel said:

what do you mean keys?

locking keys

for some reason i envision an rj45 jack with the wires terminated in a certain way, hence key

So, 2 things here.

1) the keys. They are normal keys for doors that you use to lock your front door, your car, your bike, whatever.

2) To store all those keys what Linus does is take an ordinary ethernet switch (one of these for example, don't know what he uses but it's not important)

Spoiler

SF100D-16-NA_back.jpg

And instead of connecting ethernet cables to connect it to a computer like a switched is designed for, he takes a small piece of ethernet cable with an RJ45 connector on one side (these things)

Spoiler

cable-rj45-1200x1018.jpg

Use a keyring to put the key on and the small cable with the RJ45 connector and tadaa, you have a key that you can store into the switch!

There is no logic here btw. So the switch is off and the cable is just a cable, nothing more.

It's just a nerdy way to store keys easily with the added bonus of the RJ45 having a clip that locks it into place so when you take a key they don't all randomly fall out.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Not an Apple fan, myself, but I absolutely love what they did with the repurposed Apple products, and that Cat clock is fantastic!  Besides which, that office looks incredible now!

15 hours ago, caincha said:

You mean 21:08 ? lol

No, I'm talking about when he said "beanies", in Canada we call it a toque.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

9 hours ago, Computernaut said:

No, I'm talking about when he said "beanies", in Canada we call it a toque.

Toque might be French-Canadian?

I mean in New Zealand they also call it beanies… ?

23 hours ago, comander said:

My girlfriend is basically a Yvonne clone... 

Generally organized, says "that's great" likes things that're neat and tidy... has to put up with a quirky guy. Probably about the same height and also Chinese (using the term loosely). Look surprisingly similar. 

This was NOT by design, I didn't know Yvonne existed until I'd been with my girlfriend for a year. 

995-1000s is basically something she'd say

does she know how to use a cinama camera?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

13 hours ago, caincha said:

Toque might be French-Canadian?

I mean in New Zealand they also call it beanies… ?

The word is French in origin, I believe, but that term is used (to my knowledge) all over Canada.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.