System specs:

- Ryzen 3200G stock clocks, seems to boost fine to near 4ghz depending on load

- AsRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac

- 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 running at 3200

- Noctua NH L12S cooler, temps are low

- Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB

- SF450 corsair platinum PSU

- Win10 64, up to date

- AMD drivers, latest ones and also ones from AsRock site, and also with whatever Windows installed by itself

- 43" LGUD79 monitor / tv

- Running 4k60hz over DisplayPort

Issues

I get lots of (10+%) dropped frames on  Youtube with 4k60 content and even a few lost frames with 1080p60 content, when I run the desktop at the actual 4k resolution.

When I change the desktop resolution to 1080p, all 4k and 1080p content plays smooth. I realize the 4K content is only rendering 1080p in this case.

I get this with Firefox and Chrome.

My internet connection is fine (100mbit fibre) and it seems to have plenty of buffer.

With 4k60 content, Task Manager shows peaks of 85% GPU utilization when hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser, never above this. CPU utilization is low

Without hardware acceleration, CPU load is pretty much 100% and the experience even worse.

With 1080p60 content, the GPU load is much lower, perhaps 60% and I still get a few dropped frames and clear stutters as a result.

Task manager doesn't seem to report many differences between running the desktop res at 4k or 1080p, yet at 4k it isn't smooth and at 1080p it is..

Did I expect too much from the 3200G? Anything I should check? It seems it just can't draw the screen fast enough at 4k to keep up or something odd. I am late to the 4K party but my plan was to enter it more smoothly.. ?

Maybe something better than task manager to monitor stuff with.  You’ll be wanting to look at cpu and gpu performance simultaneously.  Should be something decent and free out there.  No idea what it would be though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Do you have other HDMI cables to try - maybe an older cheaper HDMI cable causing bandwidth issues?

My only experience with 4k with an APU is an i3 6100t with onboard GPU.  It was atrocious, didn't like it at all.  Felt laggy but I never FPS checked it.  I hook up my FX 8350 with HD 7850 GPU and browser, video etc lag is completely gone.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Do you have other HDMI cables to try - maybe an older cheaper HDMI cable causing bandwidth issues?

My only experience with 4k with an APU is an i3 6100t with onboard GPU.  It was atrocious, didn't like it at all.  Felt laggy but I never FPS checked it.  I hook up my FX 8350 with HD 7850 GPU and browser, video etc lag is completely gone.

Point.  Diddnt see the HDMI.  HDMI doesn’t have versions like other data standards.  It’s actually illegal to promote a version.  The older cables though sometimes don’t work as well.  Cable manufacturers hate the lack of version thing and try to get around it. Newer ones often say “8k”.  All that means though is the cable wiring is of ever so lightly higher quality.  An older cable might be just as good as a new one, but it also might not.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've had DP cable issues in the past with 144hz  1440p monitors, but that never resulted in dropped frames. It would only allow 60hz or 1080p as it sensed a lack of bandwidth.

I use the supplied DP cable with the LG 43" monitor and it allows 4k60 all day. Dropped frames because of the cable would only seemingly be possible if it lost sync or connection briefly which I really don't think is the case. If that happens you'd see a black screen briefly or spikes in cpu / gpu use I would say..

6 hours ago, Niels_at_home said:

Hi there!

I'm having some unexpected issues with my new HTPC build:

System specs:

- Ryzen 3200G stock clocks, seems to boost fine to near 4ghz depending on load

- AsRock B450 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac

- 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 running at 3200

- Noctua NH L12S cooler, temps are low

- Kingston A2000 M.2 250GB

- SF450 corsair platinum PSU

- Win10 64, up to date

- AMD drivers, latest ones and also ones from AsRock site, and also with whatever Windows installed by itself

- 43" LGUD79 monitor / tv

- Running 4k60hz over DisplayPort

Issues

I get lots of (10+%) dropped frames on  Youtube with 4k60 content and even a few lost frames with 1080p60 content, when I run the desktop at the actual 4k resolution.

When I change the desktop resolution to 1080p, all 4k and 1080p content plays smooth. I realize the 4K content is only rendering 1080p in this case.

I get this with Firefox and Chrome.

My internet connection is fine (100mbit fibre) and it seems to have plenty of buffer.

With 4k60 content, Task Manager shows peaks of 85% GPU utilization when hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser, never above this. CPU utilization is low

Without hardware acceleration, CPU load is pretty much 100% and the experience even worse.

With 1080p60 content, the GPU load is much lower, perhaps 60% and I still get a few dropped frames and clear stutters as a result.

Task manager doesn't seem to report many differences between running the desktop res at 4k or 1080p, yet at 4k it isn't smooth and at 1080p it is..

Did I expect too much from the 3200G? Anything I should check? It seems it just can't draw the screen fast enough at 4k to keep up or something odd. I am late to the 4K party but my plan was to enter it more smoothly.. ?

I never had any issues watching 4k content on my 2200G so I kinda doubt that is the issue. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hey Mark, did you also have the desktop resolution at 4k? I see a performance difference watching 4k in 1080p desktop or 4k desktop.

7 hours ago, Niels_at_home said:

Hey Mark, did you also have the desktop resolution at 4k? I see a performance difference watching 4k in 1080p desktop or 4k desktop.

Hi, no, sorry I actually didn't.   Only have a 1080p screen, but I already thought about that as a possible reason and that it may make a difference, so it's maybe the CPU/iGPU after all,  even though that's kinda unlikely as that doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.  Hmm. 

?

Edit: I looked it up,  it actually seems to be an issue, there are  a couple of reddit threads, etc, I didn't really see any *reviews* mentioning this issue however.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

To those interested.. I 'fixed it' by using Edge instead of Chrome or FireFox. Somehow gpu usage is a bit lower and it just runs silky smooth with zero dropped frames there.

Now it is weird, somehow Edge does different hardware detection or something. On my desktop GTX 970 it doesn't even give me a 4k option on videos, probably because the hardware decoding is missing from this older card. Yet in FF / Chrome it is available.. So something seems to be handled differently on Edge.

And to my surprise, you can even get an ad blocker for Edge?! So MS has the go to browser now?! I need to sit down.. ?

• 4 months later...

Hi!
I have the same problem with YouTube on 3200G in browsers FF and Yandex.browser even in 720p resolution.
My system: Ryzen 3 3200G
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Patriot DDR4 8GB 2666MHz
SP Velox V70 120GB
Cheiftec SFX-350BS
  I tried different versions of the AMD videodriver and increased the frequency of RAM, but this does not change anything, the frames are dropped again.
On my old system (fx6300 / 8GB ddr3 / hd6850) there were never any problems in playing YouTube of any resolution, everything worked perfectly.
I am very surprised that the new technological APU has problems with YouTube

On 12/5/2019 at 12:19 PM, Niels_at_home said:

To those interested.. I 'fixed it' by using Edge instead of Chrome or FireFox. Somehow gpu usage is a bit lower and it just runs silky smooth with zero dropped frames there.

Now it is weird, somehow Edge does different hardware detection or something. On my desktop GTX 970 it doesn't even give me a 4k option on videos, probably because the hardware decoding is missing from this older card. Yet in FF / Chrome it is available.. So something seems to be handled differently on Edge.

And to my surprise, you can even get an ad blocker for Edge?! So MS has the go to browser now?! I need to sit down.. ?

Yeah.  Google has released a bunch of free web development kits that are supposed to be browser agnostic but somehow subtly aren't.  Microsoft did this back in the day too though they were less subtle about it and got caught.  It also happens to safari.  Pages break that didn’t used to, and somehow google brand products are the only ones that just work.  

anyone remember c#?  The “version” of c that just didn’t quite work on anything but Microsoft stuff?  I understand it’s a bit better now but there were multiple lawsuits.

to me this looks like SSDD