Xbox 360 on Windows 10 ?

The12th Unique
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

If you want to solve this problem once and for all sadly the only option is to reacquire a PC version of the games. I know these days Microsoft has been a lot better about giving you a PC + console copy when you buy a game through them but I'm not sure if that deal applies retroactively to old titles... I assume not.  Another option is to just get another xbox 360 or newer console that's backward compatible but that doesn't solve the problem, just pushes it further into the future.  If you do go with the PC option, as a bonus, the games will look and run better, as well as be more convenient (no more optical media).

Slightly off topic but one thought I just had is it would be super nice if Microsoft released an official emulator for consoles that are no longer supported (anything that's no longer covered by a currently sold model or backward compatibility of said model).  If they did it, it would eliminate any issues of legality, as well as provide, conceivably, the most reliable and well-performing experience vs anything a third party could make through reverse engineering.  I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect it either, Microsoft has always pushed hard for backward compatibility across the board, often even to the detriment of other things.  Particularly if they charged for it rather than just providing it with Windows 10, it would be a good way to squeeze a bit more money out of what's otherwise a dead platform while simultaneously providing a desirable and good experience to users.

I have a bunch of Xbox 360 games but the console itself is now pretty old and doesn't run the games up to mark. Is there some way for them to be run in Windows 10 ? 

8 hours ago, Slottr said:

Nope

Xenia

Spoiler

Granted I have no idea how good this really is nowadays but I heard it got pretty good recently and I just checked, tons of games "playable"

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Xenia

Hide contents

Granted I have no idea how good this really is nowadays but I heard it got pretty good recently and I just checked, tons of games "playable"

It's still a work in progress, though they've made some killer improvements in the past year or two.

Even with that though, it still has it's issues and doesn't play disc games without a load of pirating-esc stuff which we can't discuss here

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

It's still a work in progress, though they've made some killer improvements in the past year or two.

Even with that though, it still has it's issues and doesn't play disc games without a load of pirating-esc stuff which we can't discuss here

Yeah,  so I heard!  

So talk about emulation is not allowed here?  It's not illegal to my knowledge (unless it is in Canada?) 

Although admittedly there are better suited places for this - which all have strict anti piracy rules,  but you probably know that   :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah,  so I heard!  

So talk about emulation is not allowed here?  It's not illegal to my knowledge (unless it is in Canada?) 

Although admittedly there are better suited places for this - which all have strict anti piracy rules,  but you probably know that   :)

Just the piracy stuff. Emulation and that kinda talk is all good ?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

20 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Just the piracy stuff. Emulation and that kinda talk is all good ?

Alright, cool. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Slottr said:

I'm also 99% certain it requires an image of the system software to even run. Which is also unobtainable normally without pirating it.

If you want to solve this problem once and for all sadly the only option is to reacquire a PC version of the games. I know these days Microsoft has been a lot better about giving you a PC + console copy when you buy a game through them but I'm not sure if that deal applies retroactively to old titles... I assume not.  Another option is to just get another xbox 360 or newer console that's backward compatible but that doesn't solve the problem, just pushes it further into the future.  If you do go with the PC option, as a bonus, the games will look and run better, as well as be more convenient (no more optical media).

Slightly off topic but one thought I just had is it would be super nice if Microsoft released an official emulator for consoles that are no longer supported (anything that's no longer covered by a currently sold model or backward compatibility of said model).  If they did it, it would eliminate any issues of legality, as well as provide, conceivably, the most reliable and well-performing experience vs anything a third party could make through reverse engineering.  I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect it either, Microsoft has always pushed hard for backward compatibility across the board, often even to the detriment of other things.  Particularly if they charged for it rather than just providing it with Windows 10, it would be a good way to squeeze a bit more money out of what's otherwise a dead platform while simultaneously providing a desirable and good experience to users.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yes through an emulator. You will need YOUR xbox 360 files and YOUR game CDs. Also depending on your PC specs, might or might not be able to run the games.

OR you could

On 12/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Buy an Xbox One S .. It's backwards compatible with a lot of 360 games.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

On 12/5/2019 at 12:13 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Agreed that would be the best possible solution, same for PlayStation... Technically this would be really easy to get going at least I suppose because both companies have the source codes obviously and no reverse engineering would be required. 

And at this point, I agree if anything Microsoft is more likely to do something like this,  Sony is probably not particularly interested in PC gaming beyond PSnow and remote play I wager. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Agreed that would be the best possible solution, same for PlayStation... Technically this would be really easy to get going at least I suppose because both companies have the source codes obviously and no reverse engineering would be required. 

And at this point, I agree if anything Microsoft is more likely to do something like this,  Sony is probably not particularly interested in PC gaming beyond PSnow and remote play I wager. 

Yeah it definitely makes way more sense for Microsoft than it does for Sony since they've got the whole Windows angle - they wouldn't be moving people to a competitor, just to another one of their own products.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.