What to do after i build my PC

So, tommorow ill be building my pc. ill be running ryzen 3600 on b450 max tomahawk with 5700xt sapphire nitro+. What are the must-dos after i install windows, i know about changing to xmp profile in bios. What else i should do to get things running as they should?

2 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

What are the must-dos after i install windows

first install your browser of choice, then go to the product page for your motherboard and download drivers (usually I only download LAN, audio, and chipset drivers) then restart the PC. After that, download radeon drivers and you're good to go.

If you're interested in CPU temp checking use Ryzen Master, but it's not great for overclocking compared to the BIOS

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

first install your browser of choice, then go to the product page for your motherboard and download drivers (usually I only download LAN, audio, and chipset drivers) then restart the PC. After that, download radeon drivers and you're good to go.

these things i know :P I was thinking about some a bit more advanced things, like fan speed curves and stuff. Shoulda have specified i can do the basics. I just never OC'd and stuff

For easy grouped software installation, go to ninite.com

You can select a huge bundle of software, then you just run the installer and it installs everything ez pz

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Paul has a good video on this:

It probably is only interesting to after the 22:00 mark.

This one is probably only relevant after 6:18:

What I usually do is:

- Build PC

- Install Windows

- Install Chrome (my browser of choice)

- Get videocard drivers

- install some of my most used programs (Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, Davinci Resolve, OBS, Handbrake, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Steam)

- Install peripheral drivers (and programs, like RGB programs)

- Create a system restore point

- Use my PC as usual.

I could lie and say I set up fan curves from the get go, but I don't :ph34r:

EVGA PrecisionX and MSI Afterburner are my go to's for this though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Deleted due to severe slowness of typing.  Everything got answered better than I could before I was even finished posting, lol

Edited by Bombastinator
Removed

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

I was thinking about some a bit more advanced things, like fan speed curves and stuff.

oh that stuff should run really well out of the box. Personally I like to set the fan curves to whatever "silent" mode is available because if you are using a case with half decent airflow then the parts will still all stay cool. Other than that, there's barely any configurating you have to do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Windows will want updates.  Lots of updates.  This is generally considered the most delicate time for new PCs because you have to connect to the internet with a non updated machine.

Those that are paranoid and have other working hardware will download the updates and do them before the machine connects to the internet at all.  That might not even be possible anymore.  The big one though is make sure your machine is fully updated before you do anything with it.  Most especially no internet browsing.

Youll want the software for you GPU as well as various drivers for your other hardware. not sure what’s best for 5700xts. Others will have better opinions.

i have a thumbdrive with windows from my current pc. I used the mediacreation tool. Wont windows be up to date because i did that on an updated PC

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

oh that stuff should run really well out of the box. Personally I like to set the fan curves to whatever "silent" mode is available because if you are using a case with half decent airflow then the parts will still all stay cool. Other than that, there's barely any configurating you have to do.

Im going with Meshify C from FD, so i should be good on airflow. Altho some people recommended 3 in 1 out fan setup, for some possitive pressure, instead of 2 in 2 out for airflow. Ill be using dark rock 4 for CPU if that changes anything

3 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

i have a thumbdrive with windows from my current pc. I used the mediacreation tool. Wont windows be up to date because i did that on an updated PC

If you used the media creation tool from MS you're fine.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:23 PM, Fasauceome said:

I did it! Everything works fine. with one exception. When i tried to overclock ram to 3200mhz system went to total shit, i couldnt post for the life of me, so i just shorted cmos to even get to post again. No idea how to make it work. I have 3200mhx predator memory and a msi tomahawk max b450 board

16 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

I did it! Everything works fine. with one exception. When i tried to overclock ram to 3200mhz system went to total shit, i couldnt post for the life of me, so i just shorted cmos to even get to post again. No idea how to make it work. I have 3200mhx predator memory and a msi tomahawk max b450 board

wait, forget it. it worked. no idea what i did, but it works xd