Is a 1070 Ti still a respectable graphics card?

GamerBlake

1070 ti is still a very good card to be honest.  I have a Vega 56 in my Ryzen 1600 which is about on par with the 1070 ti give or take and there is very little I can't run well on a 1080p Ultrawide monitor.  I do have to reduce the setting a bit in more demanding games but I can still run virtually everything on at least high detail and many even ultra detail and exceed 60 fps.  For this reason, even though I am building a new fairly high end 3800x this Christmas, I am going to stick with the Vega 56 until the next gen cards come out in the first half of 2020. 

Honestly, I think there are a lot of compelling reasons to wait right now. First of all the next generation for both AMD and Nvidia should be out within 6 months and there is a good chance, AMD's high end GPU, the rumored 5800/5900 series, will be out in the first quarter and we can likely expect it to be cheaper than Nvidia's comparable offerings and  at the high end of their offering, it is supposed to be able to outperform even the 2080 ti (probably by the same margins a 5700 XT outperforms a normal 2070)  To compete with that Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a 2080 ti Super which will push down pricing on the existing 2080 ti and maybe even make it a somewhat reasonably priced high end option.  Then by the end of the 1st half, roughly June/July, Nvidia should have Amphere launched which should be more reasonably priced that the current generation due to having to compete against AMD's high end offerings.  All things considered, the first half of 2020 is shaping up to be a great time to be in the market for a new video card, if you can wait that is.