Brother of drug lord Pablo Escobar launches a $349 foldable smartphone

piemadd

Oh wow, he did deliver.

However, everyone got an "upgrade" to the fold 2:

HOWEVER it is a "rebranded"(?) galaxy fold

image.png.a5520a81589e52dc000dcf781c279bde.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 12/6/2019 at 9:25 PM, pierom_qwerty said:

well they have avoided a fucking lot of taxes soooo....

Its not a crime to take advantage of legal tax breaks though.

And I wouldnt say 16 billion they pay in income taxes is chump change or anything lol.

Will buy 2 just to stick it to the US of A. 

#LegalizeRegulateTax

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Will buy 2 just to stick it to the US of A. 

#LegalizeRegulateTax

im confused on how this would in any way stick it to the USA lol.

EDIT: just saw that their site only take crypto or bank transfers.....yeah not trusting this criminal pos with nonrefundable payment methods.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, Sauron said:

Uhm... you know that being related to a criminal doesn't automatically make you one...?

To be clear, I know nothing about this guy - but him being brothers with Pablo tells me nothing about his trustworthiness.

He was the accountant and co founder of the Medellín Cartel. A cartel who not only was involved in drugs but thousands of assassinations.

He is 100% a criminal POS.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, Thaldor said:

Admiral Ackbar probably has few words to say about this.

@Admiral Ackbar

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I would not trust anything coming from this "company." I don't care if it's a reskinned Samsung Galaxy Fold. Do not buy this phone. Escobar and his entire family have been associated with everything from the illegal weapons trade to the drug trade. There are even unconfirmed reports that he was involved with human trafficking. By buying this phone, you may be contributing to those trades. I think the fact that mrwhosetheboss bought the phone and made a video about it was a very dangerous and stupid idea. He made himself a target, especially since they know who he is. Again, do not buy this phone. If you want a folding phone, save up money for the real Galaxy Fold, the Moto Razr, or the Galaxy Z Flip.

Edited by FakeCIA
added further comments

18 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

He was the accountant and co founder of the Medellín Cartel. A cartel who not only was involved in drugs but thousands of assassinations.

He is 100% a criminal POS.

Then say that instead of only mentioning that he's the brother of a druglord.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I suspect this possibly is a way to get rid of stolen phone parts or something like that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Then say that instead of only mentioning that he's the brother of a druglord.

I mean its pretty common knowledge. 

7 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I suspect this possibly is a way to get rid of stolen phone parts or something like that.

In order to buy the $400 phone you habe to pay via bank transfer or crypto. Both are 100% non reversible. They might send some out but if i had to bet id say most people buying wont get it.

Its not even a new scam. In india a guy made a $4 smart phone and took 54 million perorders and only sent out 5k. 

3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I mean its pretty common knowledge. 

In order to buy the $400 phone you habe to pay via bank transfer or crypto. Both are 100% non reversible. They might send some out but if i had to bet id say most people buying wont get it.

Its not even a new scam. In india a guy made a $4 smart phone and took 54 million perorders and only sent out 5k. 

Yeah, that's another very likely option.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Is this a phone pablo just rebranded, more then likely.

Not a phone built from scratch.

Who has purchased the phone?

Sounds like a PR stunt and/or a scam.

Launder the money!

9 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

I would not trust anything coming from this "company." I don't care if it's a reskinned Samsung Galaxy Fold. Do not buy this phone. Escobar and his entire family have been associated with everything from the illegal weapons trade to the drug trade. There are even unconfirmed reports that he was involved with human trafficking. By buying this phone, you may be contributing to those trades. I think the fact that mrwhosetheboss bought the phone and made a video about it was a very dangerous and stupid idea. He made himself a target, especially since they know who he is. Again, do not buy this phone. If you want a folding phone, save up money for the real Galaxy Fold, the Moto Razr, or the Galaxy Z Flip.

I dont think any youtuber is now a target. But i do agree it was very dumb of him to make the video since he knows its going to encourage his viewers to buy the phone.

16 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I dont think any youtuber is now a target. But i do agree it was very dumb of him to make the video since he knows its going to encourage his viewers to buy the phone.

I meant target as in a potential for future marketing scams, though the chance that violent action could occur is there. I know he's a smart guy, but man, that was some dumb shit he pulled. That would be like me sending money to that Nigerian prince in desperate need to save his family or giving my address to the hot singles in my area. When you contribute to scams like this, even when you are joking around, that is a couple hundred bucks that you have no idea where it's going. It may be funny in a way to buy the phone, but now they know who you are and will add you to a list of people they know will buy into future scams.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:42 AM, Levent said:

This feels like a scam to me.

i got that vibe from it, but lets wait for them to release before making any conclusions.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

Aight, havent read every post but heres the break down of the escobar phone line:

Escobar Inc does not make phones. They purchase rejects from companies, put a (literal) sticker over them, and sell them on.

The phone in question here, the Fold 1, is a Royole flexpai with a (again, literal) sticker on top. The Fold 2, which also exists, is a Galaxy Fold with a (you guessed it, literal) sticker on top.

How?: Well, looking at prices alone you'd be right to doubt me. Escobar Inc buys these phones likely by the pound, as reject units. These are either returns to the manufacturer, or "B grade" units Royole or Samsung wouldn't put their name behind. Escobar Inc, puts their fancy wallpaper, and (...dont make me say it again) sticker on the outside, and sells it on as their own phone. 

Why?: Uhm... Good question. Being an Incorporated company it can live on dormant forever, but i would imagine given the circumstances that surrounded Escobar inc (it was created as a holding company for the brothers illegal funds), activity was needed to get federal officials off Roberto (Pablo's brother) back.

Supposedly they ARE working on their own phone as well, and they claim that the Fold 1 and Fold 2 are just to get the name out there.

Source: 

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I feel disgusted just reading this, heck i feel disgusted this is even made a topic on the forum here

Their culture loves the drug lord lifestyle with emmaculate carved guns and art of guns and violence.

6 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I feel disgusted just reading this, heck i feel disgusted this is even made a topic on the forum here

I'm disgusted that people are buying this phone as a joke. Do they not realize where their money and personal information is going? Based on what Escobar was associated with, these people may be funding the next drug lords cocaine addiction, the bullets for their gun, and the next cargo container full of humans. For every phone that these people buy, there is another few bullets and another few ounces of drugs on the street. They are fueling the problem.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

... this whole situation is a mess... ( ._(\

Considering the Colombian government is dealing with rogue militants, terror groups, and armed conflicts with Venezuela, I don't think they're gonna step in to investigate this anytime soon, unless they call upon Interpol.

2 minutes ago, Stoigeboiii said:

What's the difference between the fold1 and the fold2

The Fold 1 never made it to market from Escobar Inc. The Fold 2 is just a reskinned Samsung Galaxy Fold. Just buy the real Samsung devices. Don't buy from Escobar.

17 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

I'm disgusted that people are buying this phone as a joke. Do they not realize where their money and personal information is going? Based on what Escobar was associated with, these people may be funding the next drug lords cocaine addiction, the bullets for their gun, and the next cargo container full of humans. For every phone that these people buy, there is another few bullets and another few ounces of drugs on the street. They are fueling the problem.

To be fair....he doesnt need this money to fund all that.

That cartel was spending 2k a month on rubber bands to wrap around all the money they had. They didnt have an issue with members stealing the money but rats eating thousand of it a day.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

To be fair....he doesnt need this money to fund all that.

That cartel was spending 2k a month on rubber bands to wrap around all the money they had. They didnt have an issue with members stealing the money but rats eating thousand of it a day.

Still, I'm not gonna add my part. You send 350$ USD to this group, you're helping pay their support network in some way. I'll have to track it down again, but there was a report published by the New York Police Department on conversion rates and estimated street value of various drugs. I think a gram of refined crystal meth costs 10$ if I remember correctly. That is 35 grams if you buy this phone, being traded who knows where.