Before Powering On My Build

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,

Been building PCs since 1999, and the only time a PSU has ever fried anything on first boot was due to fault of my own (wrong voltage switched on PSU, was supposed to be 110v but somehow it was switched to 220v. Started smoking but somehow only the motherboard died.)

I'd say that unless you're using a really poor quality PSU (which you shouldn't) then just power it on as normal. Also make sure the right voltage is set. But I don't think modern PSUs even have those switches anymore.

Hello,

I do not have power supply tester so should I power on PC with only motherboard connected for the first time?

That is to avoid potential harm to other components if power supply happens to be bad one.

Could.  It’s kind of an expensive part to set up as a sacrificial lamb though.  It won’t draw much of anything with no cpu or memory on it, so it’s arguably no better than anything else.  It’s not normal SOP.  Is it that you have two PSUs and one is bad and you don’t know which one?  Why do you think this danger is so unusually high?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Is it that you have two PSUs and one is bad and you don’t know which one?  Why do you think this danger is so unusually high?

I just read reviews on Amazon for some of PSUs and sometimes (rarely) it happens so I still want to take precautions. I read about 2 pins method to make PSU work without connecting to motherboard so maybe I should try it and it should be enough?

2 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

I just read reviews on Amazon for some of PSUs and sometimes (rarely) it happens so I still want to take precautions.

Well if you bought everything on amazon and it’s still under return I suppose it doesn’t matter.  If something blows just send it back.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Been building PCs since 1999, and the only time a PSU has ever fried anything on first boot was due to fault of my own (wrong voltage switched on PSU, was supposed to be 110v but somehow it was switched to 220v. Started smoking but somehow only the motherboard died.)

I'd say that unless you're using a really poor quality PSU (which you shouldn't) then just power it on as normal. Also make sure the right voltage is set. But I don't think modern PSUs even have those switches anymore.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 12/4/2019 at 2:37 AM, Sjaakie said:

What brand / model psu do you have?

Corsair TX650M

That's an excellent model. It's safety-measures will automatically shut it off before it will even be able to damage any components. No worries about hooking everything up immediately.