Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paco22904

Odd Keyboard Needs

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new keyboard and I've got some fairly odd needs. Basically, I have this odd love for chiclet style keyboards. I've used a Corsair Strafe for the last few years and just haven't found my typing speed or comfort to be nearly as close as my laptop (Microsoft Surface Laptop 2). I was just wondering if anyone knew of any nice, wireless keyboards that would be similar to that. There are a few things that aren't needed but I'd prefer: Backlighting (Doesn't have to be RGB, white is good), Numpad, and a wrist rest. I know there are dozens of cheap, wireless keyboards out there but I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as far as which would be the best. 

 

Thanks

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of the best chicklet keyboard is the Mac keyboard.  They even have white led.  The key layout is different though so you’d either have to play key mapping games or find something “Mac look”.  Logitech was always good for that. They made their bones building Mac peripherals.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Best of the best chicklet keyboard is the Mac keyboard.  They even have white led.  The key layout is different though so you’d either have to play key mapping games or find something “Mac look”.  Logitech was always good for that. They made their bones building Mac peripherals.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that, what's different about their layout that would be significant?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paco22904 said:

Ah, I hadn't thought of that, what's different about their layout that would be significant?

The Mac key is the Apple key for one, there’s also something about control and alt.  I forget.  There are special things programmed into bootcamp to make it only mildly annoying.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The Mac key is the Apple key for one, there’s also something about control and alt.  I forget.  There are special things programmed into bootcamp to make it only mildly annoying.

They swap ctrl and command, replace win key with command.


Hello! Feel free to PM me anything. Here's my stuff below!

PC (Main)

Spoiler

CPU: i5-8400 CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus   Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M DS3H | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8 DDR4-2400 SSD: Inland 480GB SSD | Video Card: RX 570 4GB Strix OC | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White TGPSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Monitor: Sceptre 24" 1080p 75hz Webcam: Logitech C920 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

 

NAS:

Spoiler

Synology DS418J w/ 4x WD Red Pro 6TB RAID 10

Seagate 5TB external SMR 2.5" HDD

MS Office 365 - 1TB Onedrive

 

Phone/Tablet:

Spoiler

iPhone XR 64GB iPad Mini 4 128GB

 

Laptops:

Spoiler

Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H + 1050 Ti MacBook Air 13" mid-2012

 

Audio:

Spoiler

Schiit Fulla 2 & Sennheiser HD 598 Cs | Corsair HS70 KZ ZS10 Pro | Audio-Technica LP120USB Audioengine A2+

 

Stationary (new hobby!)

Spoiler

Pencils: Staedtler 925-05 (.5mm), Pentel Smash Q1005 (.5mm), Uni Kuru Toga Roulette (.5mm), Uni Nano Dia .5mm 2B, Mitsubishi 9850 HB

Pens: Several Uni Signo UM-151s, Several Pilot G2s, Kaweco AL Sport Touch ballpoint

Fountain Pens: Pilot Metropolitan F, Lamy Al-Star M, Lamy CP1 F

Ink: Diamine Jet Black, Diamine Oxford Blue

 

Wishlist (feel free to PM me recommendations): Pentel Orenz .2/.3mm, Pentel Graph for Pro 1000 (.5mm), Rotring 600 (.5mm), Pilot Vanishing Point/Lamy 2000, Pilot Iroshizuki Kon-peki, Noodler's Tiananmen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

They swap ctrl and command, replace win key with command.

Would would I have to do to get it to work with a Win10 desktop? I'm assuming there's no usb dongle so I'd need Bluetooth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paco22904 said:

Would would I have to do to get it to work with a Win10 desktop? I'm assuming there's no usb dongle so I'd need Bluetooth. 

Iirc they make wired usb ones. Or they used to. Clearly it’s been a while for me.  My MacBook is a 17” which they stopped even making and it hasn’t been out of its bag in years.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

They swap ctrl and command, replace win key with command.

 

Do you know if I would be able to get a usb-a to usb-a cable and plug that in instead of the usb-a to lightning to avoid needing bluetooth?

Link to post
Share on other sites

HP Collaboration/Elite V2. Not a chicklet but a scissor switch. BTW, dont confuse a chicklet with scissor switches: 

 

Chicklets use tougher domes because there is less support for the keys. Always found with any chicklet them being much much mushier. 

Scissor switches use lighter domes, thus faster and less press weight. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PriitM said:

HP Collaboration/Elite V2. Not a chicklet but a scissor switch. BTW, dont confuse a chicklet with scissor switches: 

 

Chicklets use tougher domes because there is less support for the keys. Always found with any chicklet them being much much mushier. 

Scissor switches use lighter domes, thus faster and less press weight. 

 

 

The issue was cap style rather than switch. You have a point though.  I very much doubt he want an actual single dome keyboard to type on.  The Apple keyboards are a modified scissor.  A lot of the others will be scissor.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×