Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScootsMcgoots

Is it necessary to update Ryzen chipset drivers?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I was wondering, will updating my X470 chipset drivers provide improvements as tangible  as updating my video drivers do? Obviously I would update them if there was some security flaw being addressed, but I haven't heard of any. Also at least on AMD's official download page there are no patch notes. The only reason I'd fear updating my drivers is having a repeat of what happened when I first built my Ryzen system(I spent the better part of two months troubleshooting my pc, ironically giving up solved my problem as my issues subsided over the course of 3 months). I have no complaints regarding my system current; it never blue screens, I'm happy with the performance in all of my workloads. Replies are appreciated! 

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

The chipset contains separate power plans, some performance improvement, and other bug fixes so it is recommend to update the bios and am4 chipset.

Do they post update notes anywhere? 

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

4 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Do they post update notes anywhere? 

Not sure, but AMD is trying to solve issues and performance improvements with bios and chipset update. The new 1.0.0.4 bios is not reliable from what I read over the net, so I doubt AMD will going to push another bios for stability and reliability. If you are on 1.0.0.3 bios with previous chipset before 1.11.22.0454 then I suggest you to wait for another 1.0.0.4 bios.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

i have been hearing on youtube about certain mobo's and cpu combo's requiring a reflash, and a certain feature of the mobo would make easy work of it, otherwise its a trip to the computer store. its the first i've been hearing of it, so it might be related to drivers at all, but what i heard i heard it several times. now it might be the "clear bios" feature maybe.

its definately not clear cmos feature

ah i see, there is a bios flashback feature that might be relevant to you.

having post code on the mobo is good to have, but not the feature i am talking about

18 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Not sure, but AMD is trying to solve issues and performance improvements with bios and chipset update. The new 1.0.0.4 bios is not reliable from what I read over the net, so I doubt AMD will going to push another bios for stability and reliability. If you are on 1.0.0.3 bios with previous chipset before 1.11.22.0454 then I suggest you to wait for another 1.0.0.4 bios.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

My current BIOS version is 5007, which was from late june https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/