help understanding resolution and frequency

Lorna

Just wondering if someone could explain to me how the different resolutions and frequencies affect the viewing experience of different monitors. 

I currently have an HP 2511x and it's a 1080p/60hz monitor. It is starting to have a brighter area in one section than the others and so, with recently trying to decide on a new computer for myself, I am thinking abamout getting a new monitor. However I am not really sure which type I should really be looking at (e.g. 4k/60hz, 1440/144hz, 1080, 60hz). I generally use my computer for work, study, playing games and watching random things. I just trying to determine what is best for this. anything else I should mention just let me know.

edit: just wanted to add, I am thinking about getting something that is around 27" if that makes any difference on anything

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Lorna said:

Just wondering if someone could explain to me how the different resolutions and frequencies affect the viewing experience of different monitors. 

I currently have an HP 2511x and it's a 1080p/60hz monitor. It is starting to have a brighter area in one section than the others and so, with recently trying to decide on a new computer for myself, I am thinking abamout getting a new monitor. However I am not really sure which type I should really be looking at (e.g. 4k/60hz, 1440/144hz, 1080, 60hz). I generally use my computer for work, study, playing games and watching random things. I just trying to determine what is best for this. anything else I should mention just let me know.

edit: just wanted to add, I am thinking about getting something that is around 27" if that makes any difference on anything

Thanks

more resolution = more pixels. more detailed sharper images. more hz = more frames the display can show. smoother animations

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

22 minutes ago, food158 said:

more resolution = more pixels. more detailed sharper images. more hz = more frames the display can show. smoother animations

I guess my question mostly boils down to this. Is there a point in either in which you would not notice much of a difference for picture sharpness or the smoothness of animation? Also i see stuff like 5 ms response time. I would think that that would not matter unless your monitor would refresh that fast as well. For example if you have a 60hz monitor the display refreshes 60 times a second so why would varients in response time lower than 15ms be important or less than 7ms for 144hz?

1 hour ago, Lorna said:

I guess my question mostly boils down to this. Is there a point in either in which you would not notice much of a difference for picture sharpness or the smoothness of animation? Also i see stuff like 5 ms response time. I would think that that would not matter unless your monitor would refresh that fast as well. For example if you have a 60hz monitor the display refreshes 60 times a second so why would varients in response time lower than 15ms be important or less than 7ms for 144hz?

You would notice both the difference between 1080p and 4k and 60hz and 144hz.

What of them to prioritize is just up to the person getting it, what the person, in this case you, wants.

Well, there is some 4k 144hz, but those are expensive.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking