Please help - Cpu temp spike when loading pictures on a browser

00_13BXA

Hello everyone, this is my first ever post in any forum  please so forgive if im on wrong section or made any mistake, i usually solve my problems by searching on forums, but i couldnt find anything about this issue.

My setup:

Ryzen 7 2700x

MSI x470 Gaming Plus

Hyperx Predator RGB 32gb 4x8GB (HX429C15PB3AK4/32)

Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum - 750W (SSR-750PX)

Sapphire 5700 XT Reference Card

My problem is with my CPU and its a weird one, whenever i scroll on a website that contains high number of pictures on it my cpu temp would suddenly jump from 35C to around 60C tried different browsers same problem, it can be any website, tested on many, if i do that on a wallpaper based websites it happens more often and shorter intervals, It also happens when i open pictures on a pc. It doesnt happen from the cpu load nor from cpu frequency since both can stay at same numbers while i scroll and temp jumps up without affecting any of those, also checked cpu voltage, which i guess is not, since it happens at any number, i also want to mention that i have the so called chainsaw problem on my cpu which is constantly moving around 35-45, funny thing is that if i switch my power profile to power saver all this problems are gone, no chainsaw no sudden temp spikes nothing.

Also have to mention that few times happened that temp went crazy up to 85-90C while everything on pc looked normal, except once when i noticed that voltage dropped to around 1.10v - 1.15.

Thanks in advance

Something wrong with the thermal paste,  heatsink or cooler is my guess. 

Check everything,   re apply thermal paste (recommend Arctic mx4), then mount heatsink and cooler properly and check temps again. 

My 3600 barely goes over 60-65C at full load,  ~56-59C while gaming, idle it's sitting at ~35C using stock cooler (and Arctic mx4 thermal paste instead of the stuff that came pre-applied) 

9 minutes ago, v3r0n said:

85-90C

You should really check your heat sink, cooler,  thermal transfer... Something must be off, doubt it's software related. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

There's a few quirks with the second gen Ryzen and what you have may be more or less normal

• All of the temperature data is fed into a single output. I believe the hottest core is what's reported
  • 2nd gen Ryzen's report temperature as actual temperature + offset. If the temperature monitoring tool doesn't know about this, then it'll appear your CPU is a lot hotter than it actually is. I believe 2nd gen Ryzen 7's have an offset of either +20 or +30C
  • The Ryzen 2700X also run at a fairly high voltage, especially when they boost to 4.3 GHz. This causes a huge uptick in power dissipation and thus, temperature. Because of the first quirk and that a core may suddenly get loaded with work to do, you'll see that the temperature for the 2700X tends to "sawtooth"

So to get things out of the way:

• Put the processor to work and press down on the cooler firmly. If there's a noticeable temperature decrease, the cooler is not seated properly and should be adjusted (usually means tightening something down)
  • Verify you're using a temperature monitoring tool that's compatible with 2nd gen Ryzens. HWMonitor or HWiNFO both are.

There's nothing you can do about the sawtooth. However, I adjusted the processor speed and voltage settings on my processor to remain at a flat 4.0GHz with the voltage at 1.25V. The sawtooth isn't as pronounced (it has a 3-4 degree range now). Better yet, it can actually maintain its clock speed a lot better in a sustained stress test than the default automatic settings.

I forgot to mention, my temps are fine i do video editing and during the render it doesnt go beyond 62-63C, i even used cpu benchmark tools to test it doesnt go beeyond 70C, so i think its not the thermal paste, im using HWinfo64 btw and it has 2 cpu temps with 10c difference higher one probably being the offset temp.

As for 85-90 i would say the software is reading it wrong but then why the fans went crazy.

Forgot to mention also when i play games the cpu behaves pretty normal temp wise except the voltage which stays at around 1.4ish all the time.

Can it be the motherboard and  does it matter if i update my bios since there are several bios updates released after the one i have.

54 minutes ago, v3r0n said:

I forgot to mention, my temps are fine i do video editing and during the render it doesnt go beyond 62-63C, i even used cpu benchmark tools to test it doesnt go beeyond 70C, so i think its not the thermal paste, im using HWinfo64 btw and it has 2 cpu temps with 10c difference higher one probably being the offset temp.

As for 85-90 i would say the software is reading it wrong but then why the fans went crazy.

Forgot to mention also when i play games the cpu behaves pretty normal temp wise except the voltage which stays at around 1.4ish all the time.

Can it be the motherboard and  does it matter if i update my bios since there are several bios updates released after the one i have.

Well I see,  some spikes could be indeed normal then. 

What did you do when you got the 85-90 though? As that still seems a bit odd. 

And yeah updating BIOS could definitely improve things a bit.

Ryzen is a relatively new platform and BIOS updates seem to be a bit more important. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Wasnt doing anything just scrolling on a browser and it suddenly went up to 90C, but odd thing is everything on PC was normal as i have hwinfo64 running all the time so i didnt panick and shut down the pc but instead i checked how the pc is behaving, the cpu didnt have any load 3-6%, the frequency was low too except one or two cores a bit higher then the rest but not at max speed, not even at 3.7Ghz, i think i should try updating bios as i dont think there is any solution to this crazy cpu.

6 hours ago, v3r0n said:

Wasnt doing anything just scrolling on a browser and it suddenly went up to 90C, but odd thing is everything on PC was normal as i have hwinfo64 running all the time so i didnt panick and shut down the pc but instead i checked how the pc is behaving, the cpu didnt have any load 3-6%, the frequency was low too except one or two cores a bit higher then the rest but not at max speed, not even at 3.7Ghz, i think i should try updating bios as i dont think there is any solution to this crazy cpu.

Are you sure you're looking at the right value in HWiNFO? It reports the actual temperature and the offsetted temperature.

There are 2 cpu temps in hwinfo CPU (Tctl) which is 10C higher and CPU (Tdie) which is supposed to be the actual temp of the cpu, at least thats what i read, ill try updating bios later and see if that changes anything.

11 hours ago, v3r0n said:

Yeah ok,  but did this happen actually more than once?  And do you have any issues gaming,  browsing, or whatever else you do on your PC? 

I honestly think it's really running a bit hot,  but still not really concerning,  *especially* if you don't notice any issues otherwise. 

You could also just put a couple of noctua fans in your PC and also for the CPU,  there are rather cheap noctua "slim" CPU coolers that should still be quite a bit better than the stock cooler (which isn't bad per say by any means however) 

But you should still do the bios update first obviously, might already improve things,  who knows. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I have Coolermaster MasterLiquid lite 120mm but switched the fan with Noctua NF-F12 PWM IPPC-3000 with around 60-70% speed, above that its getting too loud, the cooling is fine i guess, also have 2x CORSAIR ML 140mm on front  and 2x Enermax UCCLA14P. going to update the bios now and see what happens.

I just finished the bios update and stupid temp spike is still there, i guess next i should try windows reinstall but this was present before i formated my pc so i doubt that will change anything, and i just remembered, damn there are so many anomalies with this cpu, when i keep Uplay open my cpu voltage is all the time at 1.4v+, when i minimize its get back to its normal up and downs.

• 2 weeks later...

What are load temps with a synthetic load like OCCT?

I recommend using Ryzen Master instead for measuring temps. 

The cpu boosting for the browser is normal since that allows for a slightly snappier experience.

If temps and fan speeds are revving up and down, adjust to a more gradual fan curve. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.