Upgrading question

PurplDrank

I have a 2700x with a b450 tomahawk (non max version)

My brother bought me the 3600x for my birthday. I see some people have issues with the non max tomahawk bios update to upgrade to 3000 ryzen. 

Could i simply switch the non max tomahawk out with the max tomahawk?

TLDNR.  You could.  I’d try to update the tomahawk first though.

My understanding is the problem is non max tomahawks can run the 2xxx series chips but not the 3xxx series chips out of the box.  This is not because they can’t but because they ship with old firmware. Successfully Update the firmware and everything is fine. Max  tomahawks have a larger sizes bios chip and you would need to make sure the firmware update fit into your smaller bios.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

TLDNR.  You could.  I’d try to update the tomahawk first though.

My understanding is the problem is non max tomahawks can run the 2xxx series chips but not the 3xxx series chips out of the box.  This is not because they can’t but because they ship with old firmware. Successfully Update the firmware and everything is fine. Max  tomahawks have a larger sizes bios chip and you would need to make sure the firmware update fit into your smaller bios.

how would i go about doing that. ive never done a bios update or flash update before in my life. maybe once ive built a pc.

I know that i should leave my ryzen 2xxx series chip in until the bios update is complete and then put in the new 3xxx?

13 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

how would i go about doing that. ive never done a bios update or flash update before in my life. maybe once ive built a pc.

I know that i should leave my ryzen 2xxx series chip in until the bios update is complete and then put in the new 3xxx?

There are a bunch of ways depending on the board.  It will be in the bios gui.  Some boards have special systems for it. USB ports to stick keys in, double sets of bios that can hold two different bios.  That one is handy for overclocking and iirc the tomahawk has it.  You’d want to update the backup bios so if it reverts it doesn’t go crazy on you.  I haven’t looked at a MSI bios page in so long it doesn’t matter anymore.  Someone here will be able to walk you through it though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

35 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

just put the BIOS files in a thumbdrive, insert it into a usb port on the motherboard and press the bios flashback button on the rear IO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

28 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

just put the BIOS files in a thumbdrive, insert it into a usb port on the motherboard and press the bios flashback button on the rear IO.

where do i get the bios files from ?

1 minute ago, PurplDrank said:

where do i get the bios files from ?

search the support page for your motherboard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

search the support page for your motherboard.

and if i were to switch out the non max with the max would i need to reinstall windows or anything like that? 

35 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

and if i were to switch out the non max with the max would i need to reinstall windows or anything like that? 

you shouldn't have to but there's no point in doing so anyway, it's the same minus a larger BIOS chip.