Overclocking an android box

Would it be possible to artificially cool and overclock those cheap android boxes available on the internet

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Depends on the kernel support and ability to root those. I wouldnt get my hopes up.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You can cool it by adding a bigger heatsink on top of the SOC, adding fans would be better.

These things are cheap, probably not worth it, better just buy the higher end.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can cool it by adding a bigger heatsink on top of the SOC, adding fans would be better.

These things are cheap, probably not worth it, better just buy the higher end.

your home profile pic is an apple computer lol, by higher end do you mean more expensive??

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

10 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

your home profile pic is an apple computer lol, by higher end do you mean more expensive??

Higher end usually means more expensive. The cheap android boxes usually only use a small heatsink to cool the processor and are typically not really capable of adding better cooling to them. Whether it's a fan or a bigger heatsink. For the most part the cases are too small to add anything to them without just taking it out of the case, or modifying it. In my opinion they aren't worth doing anything like that to. Most are not overclockable and usually depending on the model you get they already do what they say without overheating or even needing an overclock, I've bought a couple cheap ones to mess around with that are for 4K streaming and they work perfectly fine for that. It more or less depends on what OP wants to do with it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 hours ago, Faisal A said:

@SpookyCitrus Just want to overclock for fun. Dont mind taking it out of the case. Thinking of the H96 max

The CPU that box uses is the Cortex A53, which is technically overclockable but voltage limitations are a big deal and from what I can find about it it's pretty intensive. It's not just slap a good cooler on it and adjust settings in bios, it looks like custom software and voltage mods are needed.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

On 12/3/2019 at 4:45 AM, Faisal A said:

@SpookyCitrus Just want to overclock for fun. Dont mind taking it out of the case. Thinking of the H96 max

you have a Rockchip RK3328. Many Rockchips are overclockable go to https://forum.freaktab.com/ for infos.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

• 2 years later...

@Faisal A Just to close the loop and be clear, you can do this.

You have to modify the Device Tree Overlay File (*.dts) for the Armbian version specific to the Android box you are using.

In the Device Tree Overlay file you will find an OPP list.

This lists all the different CPU freq states for the processor, you can hijack this area and add more.

Although you need to know how to correctly set the Microvolt Speed (Basically raising CPU voltage) to be stable.

The values in the OPP table are given in hexidecimal, so you need to convert them to decimal (Just use an online converter) then figure out what decimal values you want for opp-hz (CPU Frequency), and microvolt speed (CPU Voltage in microvolts) then convert these values BACK to hexadecimal and add the new states to the table.

Then you just replace the *.dts file and reboot, I would suggest keeping on stable version on NAND and booting the overclocked version from a micro-sd card.

That way if it locks up too soon you can just pull it out and boot from NAND to change the values again.

I don't think you need to change the clock-latency-ns at all.

Attached is an example (did this quickly in paint)

This is for my Allwinner H6, got it to 2.14Ghz all cores and it hits around 42-45°C in Htop

If you have questions feel free to DM me.

Example.png