HP ZBook 15 G6 information?

Hi. I'm new here... o/

So.. I'm getting new PC at work primarily for video, AE, & 2D graphics, but will begin working with VR in the near future. We are looking at the HP ZBook 15 G6 15.6" - Core i7 9850H -16 GB RAM - 512. It was announced at Computex this year. The problem is I can't find any reviews or hands-on information about this particular model. This has the Quadro RTX 3000 GPU. Have you guys seen or used this particular laptop? Have any resources? Keep in mind I'm not talking about the 15u G6, the 15 G5, or the 17 G6.  It's just weird that no one is talking about it.. scoured Google, Youtube, and Reddit, but there's just not much out there.

Thanks

p.s. - Required to get HP or Microsoft due to purchasing regulations at work. Also looking at a desktop (z with a quadro or an RTX) + a surface pro, but trying to save some money for the dept. by just getting a laptop if possible.

17 minutes ago, ekimkaerf said:

by just getting a laptop if possible.

I am an IT professional of many many years. Take this information in light of that.

I've worked with a number of HP models throughout my career.

I wouldn't voluntarily use an HP.

There's a reason HP stands for "Has Problems", "Hardly Perfect", "Horse Pucky", "Haphazardly Produced" and so forth.

Yes, all companies make shyte products, but HP seems to have a lock on piss poor quality, even in their "business" line.

YMMV of course, but I wouldn't trust my work to one for any length of time.

/HP is shyte rant mode off

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I am an IT professional of many many years. Take this information in light of that.

I've worked with a number of HP models throughout my career.

I wouldn't voluntarily use an HP.

There's a reason HP stands for "Has Problems", "Hardly Perfect", "Horse Pucky", "Haphazardly Produced" and so forth.

Yes, all companies make shyte products, but HP seems to have a lock on piss poor quality, even in their "business" line.

YMMV of course, but I wouldn't trust my work to one for any length of time.

/HP is shyte rant mode off

Yeah I hear ya and appreciate it. I've had a similar experience in some of the previous jobs I've worked. I originally pitched something different and was told that due to purchasing regs yadda yadda... so I'm stuck. Oh well gotta hope for the best I guess. 

3 minutes ago, ekimkaerf said:

Yeah I hear ya and appreciate it.

The Surface is supposed to be a kick-butt system, you mentioned MS as an option?

If you absolutely have to use an HP, I'd strongly suggest getting a laptop cooler. HPs run way too hot IMPE.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The Surface is supposed to be a kick-butt system, you mentioned MS as an option?

If you absolutely have to use an HP, I'd strongly suggest getting a laptop cooler. HPs run way too hot IMPE.

Yes. If we opt to get a HP-Z desktop then I'll get a Surface Pro for lighter, on the go work, but the desktop + surface is about $600 more than just the zbook alone. Thermals are my main concern in the 15 inch zbook (the main reason I'm looking for reviews). Its got a friggin Quadro RTX 3000 and an i7 9850H in a small-ish  body. (about 5.8 lbs). I'll have a cooler under it for sure if that's the route we go. Just don't want to dump all this cash on something that's going to throttle in the short term and/or wear out quickly due to heat in the longer term.

9 minutes ago, ekimkaerf said:

wear out quickly due to heat in the longer term.

Something HP is infamous for....

On 12/2/2019 at 8:46 PM, ekimkaerf said:

So.. I'm getting new PC at work primarily for video, AE, & 2D graphics, but will begin working with VR in the near future. We are looking at the HP ZBook 15 G6 15.6" - Core i7 9850H -16 GB RAM - 512. It was announced at Computex this year. The problem is I can't find any reviews or hands-on information about this particular model. This has the Quadro RTX 3000 GPU. Have you guys seen or used this particular laptop?

Hi E.

I am using a quite similar model (Core i7, 9850H, 32 GB, RTX3000) and I am also wondering what's going wrong in HPs marketing department. I also could not find any reviews or tests, but I bought it anyway.

I did not make any tests, but the overall performance is ok. I am using it for MS Office, Coding in Virtual Machines (Hyper-V, VisualStudio 2019) and some light gaming (Overwatch, Starcraft2).

There are some issues, which are making me crazy:

1. There are 2 USB-C ports, but (I dont know why) I cannot use them with an external monitor (tried them on a BenQ and HP), but there seem to be issues with the internal RTX3000 card.

2. And the second thing is, there is so much "Security Software" on it, which seems to be linked to the BIOS, and therefore cannot be easily deleted. But for me it's bloated.

3. The keyboard is worse than Lenovo's W550s - but who wonders?

So I have some kind of love-and-hate-relationship.

The machine is robust, looks nice (surely not so nice like MBP), perfect for business use. The cooling is good and the performance also - so nothing really wrong.

kind regards

Herbert

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, Starbert said:

Hi E.

I am using a quite similar model (Core i7, 9850H, 32 GB, RTX3000) and I am also wondering what's going wrong in HPs marketing department. I also could not find any reviews or tests, but I bought it anyway.

I did not make any tests, but the overall performance is ok. I am using it for MS Office, Coding in Virtual Machines (Hyper-V, VisualStudio 2019) and some light gaming (Overwatch, Starcraft2).

There are some issues, which are making me crazy:

1. There are 2 USB-C ports, but (I dont know why) I cannot use them with an external monitor (tried them on a BenQ and HP), but there seem to be issues with the internal RTX3000 card.

2. And the second thing is, there is so much "Security Software" on it, which seems to be linked to the BIOS, and therefore cannot be easily deleted. But for me it's bloated.

3. The keyboard is worse than Lenovo's W550s - but who wonders?

So I have some kind of love-and-hate-relationship.

The machine is robust, looks nice (surely not so nice like MBP), perfect for business use. The cooling is good and the performance also - so nothing really wrong.

kind regards

Herbert

I'm so sorry. I have not been active on this forum so I did not see this. I was going to let you know that I did get the HP Zbook 15 G6 and it is good for what it is. It is a high performance machine that is GREAT for 3D rendering, but it does not have a good price to performance ratio for other things like 4k Video editing or gaming. To be fair, it is a beast of a machine, but I would have done better getting something with a 2070-2080 and a 9700-9900 intel chip. The Quadro RTX3000 is not supported by Adobe Premiere and the 9850h is very overpriced for the performance it delivers. HP I guess. :P Once again I'm sorry for not responding sooner. Have a great day. mt