Pokemon Sword/Shield kinda sucks (if you think about it)

jaytrl
Just now, Drak3 said:

Evolutions are counted in that 400.

Correct, but they'd also need their own animations for carryover moves. After all, Magikarp turns into Garados, and the same animations won't exactly work for both.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Correct, but they'd also need their own animations for carryover moves. After all, Magikarp turns into Garados, and the same animations won't exactly work for both.

So it would just be counting how many moves each pokemon learns, and a bunch of indie devs have recreated Pokemon models and made better animations just by using reference points on those models. Things like tail wags can easily just be reduced to moving a few common joints on pokemon with tails.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

So it would just be counting how many moves each pokemon learns, and a bunch of indie devs have recreated Pokemon models and made better animations just by using reference points on those models. Things like tail wags can easily just be reduced to moving a few common joints on pokemon with tails.

A few indie devs doing a few simple animations for a few models isn't exactly 10,000. Someone has to oversee all those tail wags by hand and make sure they work properly without issue. This isn't like Red Dead bringing in a horse or a dog for motion capture, 98% that aren't Ponyta or Houndoom/Growlithe aren't particularly based on anything.

Take those few indie dev animations, lets assume they're ridiculously fast and make a PERFECT attack animation in an hour, that's still 10,000 man hours. That's 13.69 solid months, non stop. Lets say Game Freak has a stupid large group of 400 perfect animators, all making 1 animation per hour... that's 25 hours each. Boom, simple.

So let's see, according to Google, Game Freak has a total of... Oh. ...143 people as of 2018. ...do the math... Well that's 70 hours per person, assuming every single employee is a perfect animator.

Give it more realistic values like ~30 animators and at least 4-5 hours per animation, if they're still really good and fast, and that starts ticking back up in time.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

8% that aren't Ponyta or Houndoom/Growlithe aren't particularly based on anything.

Yeah most, if not all, pokemon are based on something. Lockstin & Gnoggin has many videos covering them.

4 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Take those few indie dev animations, lets assume they're ridiculously fast and make a PERFECT attack animation in an hour, that's still 10,000 man hours. That's 13.69 solid months, non stop. Lets say Game Freak has a stupid large group of 400 perfect animators, all making 1 animation per hour... that's 25 hours each. Boom, simple.

Some of these animators are that fast. And many of them do freelance, so Gamefreak could EASILY commission out animations if needed.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

best gen is 2nd gen aka gsc. fite me

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 12/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, tankyx said:

The problem is that the nostalgia is so present in the pokemon community (I, for example, almost bought a Switch to play both Lets Go and Sword/Shield), so Gamefreak has nothing groundbreaking to do to keep selling games.

They didn't evolve and scaled. We still have small playgrounds, not all the attacks are animated, poor graphics, no real multiplayer.

When are we going to get a 3D, realistic, MMORPG of pokemon ? Like PRO or PokeMMO, but with real developers ?

I don't think so 

The development between each pokemon game, has never been vast 

They seem to still have a good portion of the market, so they can rip-off with shitty games, and using as excuse the "improved" grafic to do less; 

Unless they don't have any actual problem with the Budget/internal politics 

It's from the sixth generation that they started a more nasty behaviour 

Actually I like megaevolition, zmovies and new mechanics etc, but every game, from the sixth gen and forward, every game seemed to be a cutted off work,

Meanwhile sword/Shield mostly its literally a copy and paste work..

I think at this point, we need to understand that Pokemon is now a media franchise and Game Freak is the equivalent of a small studio making a game for that media franchise, even if they are in charge of introducing more Pokemon into it.

The mainline games, as long as Game Freak makes them and they decide to remain as a small company, is never going to get the big block-buster AAA treatment. And unlike other media franchises, Pokemon is in a unique position as Game Freak basically is the majority owner of the IP. So unless they belly up somehow, they'll continue to be in charge of the mainline.

So basically what I'm saying is: keep your expectations low. Especially if you're only into Pokemon for the games.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, jaytrl said:

You're right. But it should've been. It's the Nintendo Switch! Game Freak dropped the ball on this. Makes me not want to buy the next Pokemon game that comes out for the next gen Nintendo console. 

I waited out for reviews as the the bit of info being released before the games drop was not impressing me.  Very glad I did, I will be definitely skipping this gen of games, since the videos I seen of it don't convince me to drop 60 bucks for the game.  Instead, I am keeping an eye on Temtem as it looks promising (I'm currently waiting for it to drop and reviews to show up).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU