Pokemon Sword/Shield kinda sucks (if you think about it)

jaytrl

So I just completed the story mode on Pokemon Shield, and it was a great game. At least I thought it was, until I read this review. After reading this review, I gained a different perspective to the game and how much better this game could've been. For example, quoted by the reviewer, "moves like Slam just have what looks like a generic white tadpole flop onto screen or where Double Kick is just a stencil of a foot appearing on screen." Even though it's a brand new Pokemon game and I had fun, it didn't feel drastically different. I think the fact that it was a new Pokemon game, I was excited and had fun, but After reading this review, I agree 100% that Pokemon Shield kind of sucks and could've been the best Pokemon game ever. 

Comparing to how Zelda games have evolved and gotten better throughout the years, Pokemon has remained, mostly, the same. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/01/game-freak-not-make-pokemon-games-anymore-11243921/

Best gen is gen IV. The game then goes downhill from gen v and onwards. Recently I have been playing Pokemon ultra sun and moon. I did not even make it pass the 2nd island. They literally threw away the entire formula of Pokemon. No more gyms, no more HMs, and gym bosses are replace by oversized Pokemon sourronded by growing aura, z moves are stupider than the entire concept of mega evolution. 

What the hell is game freak thinking.... 

Gen 8 is even more radical. Encounters are no longer by chance and you ride bikes on top of water in addition to gigantic 3d Pokemon in trainer battles. What the hell....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, jaytrl said:

it didn't feel drastically different.

Because it isn’t. None of them are.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Because it isn’t. None of them are.

You're right. But it should've been. It's the Nintendo Switch! Game Freak dropped the ball on this. Makes me not want to buy the next Pokemon game that comes out for the next gen Nintendo console. 

The problem is that the nostalgia is so present in the pokemon community (I, for example, almost bought a Switch to play both Lets Go and Sword/Shield), so Gamefreak has nothing groundbreaking to do to keep selling games.

They didn't evolve and scaled. We still have small playgrounds, not all the attacks are animated, poor graphics, no real multiplayer.

When are we going to get a 3D, realistic, MMORPG of pokemon ? Like PRO or PokeMMO, but with real developers ?

Just now, jaytrl said:

But it should've been.

Why? Pokemon is still a rather unique JRPG, with most clones being mobile game fodder or inhibited by their IP (World of Final Fantasy).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

23 minutes ago, tankyx said:

The problem is that the nostalgia is so present in the pokemon community (I, for example, almost bought a Switch to play both Lets Go and Sword/Shield), so Gamefreak has nothing groundbreaking to do to keep selling games.

They didn't evolve and scaled. We still have small playgrounds, not all the attacks are animated, poor graphics, no real multiplayer.

When are we going to get a 3D, realistic, MMORPG of pokemon ? Like PRO or PokeMMO, but with real developers ?

That's what I'm hoping for the next time. Imagine if the developers of Xenoblade 2 or Zelda made the next Pokemon game? It'll be epic as fk. Game Freak needs to step down.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why? Pokemon is still a rather unique JRPG, with most clones being mobile game fodder or inhibited by their IP (World of Final Fantasy).

Agree to disagree

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the breath of fresh air the franchise needed was found in... Uranium: A fan-made Pokemon game with a dark hook and FUN difficulty curve to go with it. 

I'm just about bored to tears on Pokemon Sword.. very little gameplay innovation (Dynamax and raids feel really low effort) and a return to its roots with the extremely tired old "kid leaves home with rival to battle for badges/championship" hook. It deserves the generally lower than average (for the franchise) reviews it's garnered, but is probably still selling flying off shelves. Depressing that we've had 20 years of Pokemon games and we're still spinning our wheels in the same cliche storylines, mechanics, and fundamentally unchanged gameplay.

Black & White 1/2 were my favorites with X/Y right behind them. 

3 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the breath of fresh air the franchise needed was found in... Uranium: A fan-made Pokemon game with a dark hook and FUN difficulty curve to go with it. 

I'm just about bored to tears on Pokemon Sword.. very little gameplay innovation (Dynamax and raids feel really low effort) and a return to its roots with the extremely tired old "kid leaves home with rival to battle for badges/championship" hook. It deserves the generally lower than average (for the franchise) reviews it's garnered, but is probably still selling flying off shelves. Depressing that we've had 20 years of Pokemon games and we're still spinning our wheels in the same cliche storylines, mechanics, and fundamentally unchanged gameplay.

Black & White 1/2 were my favorites with X/Y right behind them. 

I feel your frustration man. We've all been duped 

42 minutes ago, tankyx said:

I bought a PS4 just to play the new Spider-man game and it was 100% worth it. So you dodged a bullet not buying the Switch just to play Pokemon.

Did you see how moves like Tail Whip and Double Kick look like? It's hilariously bad. I don't understand why Game Freak thinks it's okay to apply the same mechanics on the Game Boy to a game being made for the Nintendo Switch! It makes no sense. 

yep i made a news post about terrible animations and porting models over from sun and moon and people just called me a negative nancy and its 100% fine that they are doing that despite saying that they reason they cut the national dex is to improve on those things. i guess this is the standard for games now companies pull bs reasons to cut content to maximize profits and people just eat it up and attack anyone that says that isnt right

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

yep i made a news post about terrible animations and porting models over from sun and moon and people just called me a negative nancy and its 100% fine

Probably because every primary source was way unreliable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Probably because every primary source was way unreliable.

now the game is out and everything is proven and ive explained datamining in the post

I haven't played a Pokemon game since someone beat the final four in Gold and then just literally said "Hey, I beat this, you want it?"

But I'm thinking... Persona 5 had pretty good reviews, and relatively speaking the personas don't do shit. They all have an idle animation and an "active" animation. Thinking about how many Pokemon there are and how many attacks they get over time, that's a pretty insane amount of animation depending on how detailed they get with it. Even something simple like the sand swipe or whatever that a large amount of them have would need to be an individual animation for each one. And then things like TMs or HMs that you can apply to a large portion of them also need to be accounted for each.

That being said, I haven't seen the Pokemon games to know how awful it is.

#Muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since someone beat the final four in Gold and then just literally said "Hey, I beat this, you want it?"

But I'm thinking... Persona 5 had pretty good reviews, and relatively speaking the personas don't do shit. They all have an idle animation and an "active" animation. Thinking about how many Pokemon there are and how many attacks they get over time, that's a pretty insane amount of animation depending on how detailed they get with it. Even something simple like the sand swipe or whatever that a large amount of them have would need to be an individual animation for each one. And then things like TMs or HMs that you can apply to a large portion of them also need to be accounted for each.

That being said, I haven't seen the Pokemon games to know how awful it is.

its not awful its just not good and in many ways its worse than previous games

On 12/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, jaytrl said:

So I just completed the story mode on Pokemon Shield, and it was a great game. At least I thought it was, until I read this review. After reading this review, I gained a different perspective to the game and how much better this game could've been.

So... you enjoyed the game, but then read someone wrote a piece about a hypothetical game that could have existed, which in turn made you deny your own experience and retroactively overwrite it with a negative one?

It sounds a bit like:

- I'm dating this girl, she's beautiful! :)

- Well... she's not Scarlett Johansson, though :dry:

- True... man, I hate this girl! :(

46 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

now the game is out and everything is proven and ive explained datamining in the post

Not really. One of the unreliable statements was that they were making all the models from scratch, as that relies on one possible (and iffy) translation, and there are updated and new models, like Galar variants, with the “reused animations!!!1!1!1!!” being a nothing burger as, maybe, a handful of Hop’s animations were reused Hau animations when he wasn’t the center of attention.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I think there's this strange stigma that it's okay for games to be "worse" on a handheld because of "limitations" than it is when it can be a home console, and so people loosen their expectations for portable consoles over home ones. So this naturally carries over to Pokemon Sword and Shield. Pokemon is finally on a "home" console! Maybe it'll be drastically better because it's definitely better than the 3DS Game Freak had to work with!

Then people inflate their expectations. Like they somehow want this game to be drastically better in some way. They want all the glam and glitz. They want, want, and want. And then the bubble comes crashing down and now they don't like it because they built up an expectation of things that only existed in their head.

Finally, there's the burning point of how to cater between long time fans, newcomers, hardcore players, and casual players. Pokemon is has a huge following and it can't make everyone happy. Considering the primary age Game Freak appears to be targeting is children in elementary school or abouts, the bar is going to be set pretty low here.

And for some other things I want to poke at:

On 12/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, tankyx said:

Realistic graphics aren't going to be a thing because the primary art direction the developers take isn't realism.

An MMORPG would require a lot of resources to start up and maintain for little gain. Not to mention this implies that it has to be an always-online game. If it's not an always-online game, then it makes little sense to make it into an MMO. Besides, what do you want out of an MMO anyway? What would an MMO do that would make the game 1000 times better?

On 12/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, SPARTAN VI said:

Depressing that we've had 20 years of Pokemon games and we're still spinning our wheels in the same cliche storylines, mechanics, and fundamentally unchanged gameplay.

And every franchise with a series that attempts to keep some semblance of past iterations has the same issue of being "samey", but those "same" things is what makes that franchise unique.

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

as that relies on one possible (and iffy) translation,

大森 :"モデルを最初から作り直すことになり"

I don't think you can find anyone that reads this as anything that isn't "redoing the models from the start"

Bonus: "ワイルドエリアやストーリーなど、その遊びの内容はかなりのボリュームになります。" He says this even when this is probably the Pokemon mainline with the least amount of content(volume) since Red&Blue.

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/13177936.html

Just now, KaitouX said:

大森 :"モデルを最初から作り直すことになり"

I don't think you can find anyone that reads this as anything that isn't "redoing the models from the start"

My friend who studied Japanese translated it as "remaking the models"

On that note, how many of those people actually understand Japanese and most of its nuances? There was a whole fiasco over the FFVII Remake because someone said "Tifa's chest was 'restricted'" (i.e., censored because obviously too much fan service). It turned out it was a mistranslation/misunderstanding of what was said. Just because someone can throw something into Google Translate doesn't mean they actually know the meaning and context behind what's being said.

30 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

My friend who studied Japanese translated it as "remaking the models"

And isn't that the same thing?

The context of the interview reinforces even more the obvious meaning, as he is talking about the hardware becoming the Switch and how importing all Pokemon was a hard situation.

2 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

And isn't that the same thing?

Lets say it is, unless you worked on the modeling for the game, how are you sure that they didn’t remake the models because the old ones didn’t work correctly with the updated game engine?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

23 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think there's this strange stigma that it's okay for games to be "worse" on a handheld because of "limitations" than it is when it can be a home console, and so people loosen their expectations for portable consoles over home ones. So this naturally carries over to Pokemon Sword and Shield. Pokemon is finally on a "home" console! Maybe it'll be drastically better because it's definitely better than the 3DS Game Freak had to work with!

Then people inflate their expectations. Like they somehow want this game to be drastically better in some way. They want all the glam and glitz. They want, want, and want. And then the bubble comes crashing down and now they don't like it because they built up an expectation of things that only existed in their head.

Finally, there's the burning point of how to cater between long time fans, newcomers, hardcore players, and casual players. Pokemon is has a huge following and it can't make everyone happy. Considering the primary age Game Freak appears to be targeting is children in elementary school or abouts, the bar is going to be set pretty low here.

And for some other things I want to poke at:

Realistic graphics aren't going to be a thing because the primary art direction the developers take isn't realism.

An MMORPG would require a lot of resources to start up and maintain for little gain. Not to mention this implies that it has to be an always-online game. If it's not an always-online game, then it makes little sense to make it into an MMO. Besides, what do you want out of an MMO anyway? What would an MMO do that would make the game 1000 times better?

And every franchise with a series that attempts to keep some semblance of past iterations has the same issue of being "samey", but those "same" things is what makes that franchise unique.

except its worse than the hand held versions in a lot of ways. the story in pokemon games have never been something to write home about but sword and shield's story has been significantly weaker. there zero depth and i dont really feel close to any of the characters are the end and believe me its super easy to get me attached to a character. and the game has no challenge at all i went through most gyms and battles with one of my pokemon fainting except for the rock gym in which he got 3 critical hits in a row one shotting 3 of my pokemon and i still managed to beat him with 2 pokemon. i wanted it to at least be just as good as the hand held games and it fails at even that. 

I wouldn't say Pokemon Sword and Shield is bad. Some of the later iterations of the series brought some niceties like infinite use TMs, axing the need for HM slaves, exposing formerly hidden mechanics (EVs and IVs) and making it easier to obtain decently competitive Pokemon (getting something competition-ready in Gen 3 is a PITA).

Mega-evolutions threw a giant monkey wrench into whatever competitive balance existed. Z-moves opened up some options, though it costs a valuable item slot. 

The game hadn't worsened tbh, but it is more or less the same. If I hadn't already several of the games on hand, this would be worth looking at.

That said, I don't plan on getting a Switch at all, so it's very likely Gen VII is as far as I go. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…