AKG K7XX vs 58X vs?

ProfBrown

Looking at after the holidays picking up a different set up for mic and headset for gaming and what not. Primary use will be gaming, while also listening to music through Discord. For mics it depends on what I get for the holidays, but I am hoping to get the ModMic wireless and I can just pop it on the headset and use that since it has nice quality, least nicer than what I have now. Currently I am running the Corsair Void Pro, not the new one, but the older generation. These to me are extremely comfortable, while heavy they do not feel funny on my head. With that being said, I ran Razer Krakens before and they were uncomfortable on my head after about 45 minutes. I feel that I suffer more from discomfort on the headband than clamping force, and the headband area is where I seem to have the most issues with wanting to adjust.

I have seen the AKG 7XX recommended as a nice ~$200 USD headsets for gaming, along with the 58X. Now I have a sensitive head so comfort will first and foremost be my focus.The AKG 7XX also have a style I like, and the single cord running to the headset is a plus for me for ease of use. I know the 58X are cheaper and seems to have a tipping point as far as being more of a fan favorite than the 7XXs, but for my specific use case, does it matter which I go with? Would I be better off getting what I like the look of more (I know no matter what I go with it will sound better than the Void Pros as they are a tad distant or empty if I had to describe them)? Also, I noticed on the headband of the 58X there is a little cut out of the foam, I am wondering if this will cause an issue with comfort. I am leaning towards the K7XXs as I like the style more, and I have heard they are rather comfortable, as well as the single cord running to the headset. 

Are there any other recommendations for headsets similar to this price range ~$200 USD that are known as being very comfortable and would suit my use case? 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

the 58x becomes very comfortable over time it's a lighter headphones and IMO the better headphone interms of fidelity. the 7xx is immediately comfortable  but also postion sensitive meaning it wont image right if it's slightly of center off your ears but is the weaker headphone IMO

17 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the 58x becomes very comfortable over time it's a lighter headphones and IMO the better headphone interms of fidelity. the 7xx is immediately comfortable  but also postion sensitive meaning it wont image right if it's slightly of center off your ears but is the weaker headphone IMO

Thank you for your input, I see you a lot in this section a lot so your feedback is appreciated. How long is the wear in period for these 58X headphones? And by weaker I assume you mean the fullness of sound that they produce correct? I am far from an audiophile. Yeah I had been looking at the weight of the headphones because I know that it can play a big part in long term usage comfort, and had seen the K7XX were about 25 grams lighter compared to the 58X. Now the next question, what is the size of your head for the comfort portion? I have a larger head, so I think that has played into why I am so sensitive to headphones. I wear the Void Pros at setting 3 on both of the bands, but from what I had read, the Void pro headphones are massive in terms of their adjust ability. 

Are there any other options I should be entertaining for my usage case and price point or am I on the right track narrowing it down to these two? These would be my first open back headset that I can think of.

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

My Ride:

Also, so it is known, this is where I am basing my preference towards the K7XX. This guys video made sense to me, and his head is a similar sizing to mine so that is where I am coming from with the comfort. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

I really hate to admit this, but the Beyerdynamic DT 880 is very comfortable and suitable for gaming. But they suck for music. Fight me. 

34 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I really hate to admit this, but the Beyerdynamic DT 880 is very comfortable and suitable for gaming. But they suck for music. Fight me. 

sucks for the treble sensitive but great for those who are not. but are relatively hard to drive and wouldn't really use them without an amp

Yes I suppose I should point out, I do not have an amp or any other stand alone headset powering tool. I have one of three choices to power whatever headphones I go with (I don't know if any of them present a difference from one another). Option 1 (preferable) would be by Asus Prime X470 Pro mobo, my front panel connector on my Meshify C tower, or my Corsair St100 headphone stand. This has some eq adjusters in the iCue software as well as the option for surround sound, but I have not tried it at all. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

If you're about the get the 58x, be sure to check/test if the mobo is powerfull enough to drive the 58x because it's 150Ω.

However, your mobo might have an app to boost the audio like my MSI mobo, that's how my Marshall MID can be driven.

I've ordered the DT880 PRO and an amp will be ordered soon after I got the headpone. There are pretty priced ones if you're not into spending more than 100$.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, CTR640 said:

If you're about the get the 58x, be sure to check/test if the mobo is powerfull enough to drive the 58x because it's 150Ω.

However, your mobo might have an app to boost the audio like my MSI mobo, that's how my Marshall MID can be driven.

I've ordered the DT880 PRO and an amp will be ordered soon after I got the headpone. There are pretty priced ones if you're not into spending more than 100$.

It's 150 ohm but rather sensitive actually could run it off my phone if I wanted to.

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

It's 150 ohm but rather sensitive actually could run it off my phone if I wanted to.

For my phone and other mobile devices I use either my Marshall or earbuds. But I have learned never ever the on-ear headphones. It puts pressure on my ears but I fixed that. The only one thing I don't like the on-ear is because I can hear my heart beating. Not good when there is silence in music and movies.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

34 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

For my phone and other mobile devices I use either my Marshall or earbuds. But I have learned never ever the on-ear headphones. It puts pressure on my ears but I fixed that. The only one thing I don't like the on-ear is because I can hear my heart beating. Not good when there is silence in music and movies.

Same. But i feel like earbuds cancel noise better, or is it only me? Don't get me wrong, love Marshall and all... but sometimes you just need that extra silence.

2 hours ago, Benjy98 said:

Same. But i feel like earbuds cancel noise better, or is it only me? Don't get me wrong, love Marshall and all... but sometimes you just need that extra silence.

I like my earbuds when using my PSVita or phone for watching anime series and when watching Netflix, I use my Marshall headphone because this one has superb sounds too. But tbh, I was sold when I learned the Marshall MID ANC comes with a very nice looking leather case with it :P I also got the Marshall Stockwell speaker and that one is awesome too and beast! Using it as pc speaker :P  But the Marshall MID actually reduce the silence big time. I hardly can hear people talking and other noise. You can fix the pressure by stretching it and when you want to increase the pressure back, you can do too. I am damn lucky you can reduce the pressure on this headphone, it guess it's made of steel what's inside it. Very sturdy too.

And it depends on which earbuds cancels noise. Mine's doesn't cancel at all but when there is sounds, it does. For all-time silence, the Marshall all the way.

DAC/AMPs:

7 hours ago, CTR640 said:

lol yeah I get you I've been into IEMs recently too also with good budget stuff coming out of china recently like the tin t4 and blons

I usually recommend people to get the Hd6xx since it’s the headphone that most people would have no problem with

3 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I usually recommend people to get the Hd6xx since it’s the headphone that most people would have no problem with

I had seen this as a ~$200 option as well, but one of the things I had seen was that without an external amp/dac set up, the 6XX is underwhelming. As I had said before my Prime x470 Pro will likely be used to power the headphones I end up getting, and for this reason I had honestly ruled out the 6XX because I had heard it needed these extra tools, compared to the K7XX, or 58X which do not. But trust me, I had looked at these. Or even the DT990 pros as an option, but it seems that no one in this thread has recommended them. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

7 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

I had seen this as a ~$200 option as well, but one of the things I had seen was that without an external amp/dac set up, the 6XX is underwhelming. As I had said before my Prime x470 Pro will likely be used to power the headphones I end up getting, and for this reason I had honestly ruled out the 6XX because I had heard it needed these extra tools, compared to the K7XX, or 58X which do not. But trust me, I had looked at these. Or even the DT990 pros as an option, but it seems that no one in this thread has recommended them. 

I like the 6xx on only on tubes other wise it's boring and doesn't have good soundstage and imaging is not good no matter what you do. I love my 990 they are what I wear when I want treble detail and nice mid bass and are my main gaming headphone. really good for listening to hip hop if you want to listen to the beat and samples more than the rap themselves. I only reccomend itnow to people who have the monoprice liquid spark as they smooth the sharp treble and give the bass and mids a bit more body and power to work with.

Not sure to update my topic but it has the same subject and to help you out. I have received my DT 880 PRO Black and suprisingly my old motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming is able to drive the headphone without the need of a dac/amp. Some music instruments I never knew/heard before with my other headphone and earbuds. Lovely headphone and finally no more heart beating when there is silence lol. Over-ear headphones is the new black.

Samsung YP-U3 is also no problem using with the DT880.

But I'm pretty sure I'm missing out the great potential so I'll probably the E10K.

DAC/AMPs: