PC Sleeper build

Jansi

Hello!

I'm working on a sleeper PC project. First ever projekt of this kind for me :D

I've bought this old rack chassis. It's full ATX so the motherboard and PSU has their place.

My ideas are:

Four small feet on the left side of the case, making is stand upright like a normal case

Painting the inside white/black

Cutting holes for the 360mm radiator at the new bottom of the case (I have checked and i CAN be there!)

Replace the old fan with a Noctua 120mm (Using the same filter)

Replace the drives at the front. Only changing them to ones with a sata/internal USB connection (I want them to work basically)

Spraypainting the inside black/white

No changes to the outside aesthetics

Cutting a hole for two 40-50mm fans above the IO shield (I need a bit more airflow aswell as i can't make the serial port ort the three connections that's already closed work)

Add a 3rd drive at the front. Just because: why not?

Any other ideas?

I need somewhere to put my 2.5" SSD. I have no HDD in my system. I've got one NVMe M.2 SSD for boot and one TB 2.5" SSD

I would very much like to be able to use my cablemod cables in my new build

And I have two LED strips, where should they go?

Again: I'm new to this so let me know if any of this is wrong :)

Spellcheck this pls? xD

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

BEAST.jpg

I see big airflow issues.  There’s no side or top air so right now you’ve got one fan in and one fan out.  That AIO and GPU are going to be pretty starved.

One solution might be to remove the plastic from the locking media bay door then replace it with grill work and pull the entire cage along with all the media out.  Then air could flow into the case through the grillwork.  Make both fans air out.  Negative airflow sucks but I’m not seeing a way around it.  Hole in the side for the AIO cooler pushing air in?  It would allow you to leave the media bay alone.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I see big airflow issues.  There’s no side or top air so right now you’ve got one fan in and one fan out.  That AIO and GPU are going to be pretty starved.

One solution might be to remove the plastic from the locking media bay door then replace it with grill work and pull the entire cage along with all the media out.  Then air could flow into the case through the grillwork.  Make both fans air out.  Negative airflow sucks but I’m not seeing a way around it.  Hole in the side for the AIO cooler pushing air in?  It would allow you to leave the media bay alone.

Well my idea was having the AIO at the bottom blowing out. There is a fan in the front aswell the PSU blowing out up above. Hence I want to put in two smaller fans over the IO shield

And BTW: The key door with the drive bays have a special place in my heart. It will not be touched

Bottom is better than side.  I was going off the way your internals were set up in the bottom pic.

something needs to be done about that io shield with the ports missing.  Fans are a good solution.  

If you’re feeling truly gonzo though, another might be to replace the missing stuff and hook them all up to a USB converter in the case.  If any of it including the converter can even be found anymore.  One might be beholden to get the 3.5” floppy going again though just for a truly undetectable system.  That would be a kind of hell I’d rather avoid.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I was thinking about the adapter idea, but i think it will be too much work, aswell as i want it to look amazing when taking off the side panel and an adapter will be too bulky.

I've just measured and i there is no space between them, there can be 3 60mm fans over the IO shield. That should give a bit more airflow. Although i won't have them spinning that fast. They can be mad loud those smaller ones

9 minutes ago, Jansi said:

I was thinking about the adapter idea, but i think it will be too much work, aswell as i want it to look amazing when taking off the side panel and an adapter will be too bulky.

I've just measured and i there is no space between them, there can be 3 60mm fans over the IO shield. That should give a bit more airflow. Although i won't have them spinning that fast. They can be mad loud those smaller ones

They are ugly.  They tend to be little boxes in garish colors.  Also finding the parts might not be possible and I don’t even know what to do about a HD connector.  You can get a white optical drive in sata but that 3.5” leaves me stumped.  I wonder if a molex to the 3.5” would at least get it to eat and eject a disk even if it can’t read from it.  Misdirection, but cute.

Edited by Bombastinator

Well i was thinking if i get a internetal USB hub, i might be able to make the PS/2 port at the front work, aswell as finding the drives with USB

I have found an adapter to make them work with SATA, but those were just the PCB, not even in some form of case

The only usb floppies I’ve seen are quarter height rather than half height.  Even finding one might be as hard as those pin connector cables for the back though.

Wait, are the ones you found smaller than this one?

22 minutes ago, Jansi said:

They don’t really scream out “this computer is older than you are” though

Well it can be spray painted beige

Or have you found one that already is beige? 

Would it be fine if the 3 120mm fans with the radiator were blowing out at the bottom? That would make it one 120mm intake fan at the front, 3 120mm outtake at the bottom, 3 60mm outtake fans over the IO shield aswell as the PSU blowing out

Need more air in possibly? Could make the first 120mm fan blow in next to the front fan

I also need an idea on how to make the GPU stand vertically. I would prefer if i didn't have to cut the back PCI openings (though i might have to)