Does Leaving PC on Damage Components

Royboibtw

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if I leave my PC on when Im not using it. Would that damage its components?

Roy

Aslong as your PSU isnt some cheap knockoff kind of thing, And you put it on that weird sleep mode. Should be okay. But; why would you have to leave it on?

Not really if you keep it clean in terms of dust and you don't run benchmarks or stress tests all night. If your work requires rendering over a night or something then at least it's for work purposes. If you're just lazy to turn it off you're wasting electricity more than you're causing hardware damage. :D

Only mechanical components wear out from prolonged usage. That'd be your fans and mechanical hard drive. 

Electronics won't really degrade from this. Ofcourse if you're letting it do sth heavy all night, the heat generated by the high power consumption will shorten your components' life in the long run.

However if it's sort of AFK-ing, then only your hdd might start failing sooner than it would if you were to not leave it on and your fans might need maintenance at some point. 

However it's healthy for all components to shut your pc down from time to time.  

As far as liquid cooling, I'm not too savvy in that field but I assume you will reduce your pump's life expectancy. 

P.S. If your PSU is crappy you could have some serious problems. From crashes and lag to setting your house on fire (yes it has happened to people with jackass chinese PSUs they got outta the dumpster :D )

I don't think so really, waste of electricity is your main thing. If you're running a high voltage boost overclock & something is keeping your CPU busy, that might be a bad thing.

I've had several AIOs fail, ceasing up after being turned off for a couple of weeks on holiday  if that factors into your thought process. 

I've never had any problems doing it. My family computer is on almost 24/7 (because no one likes waiting for it to wake up from sleep) and it still works fine. I put my pc in sleep mode when I'm not using it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

considering ive never shut my pc off (except for hardware upgrades) over the last 7+ years id say no (full on. i dont use sleep or hibernate). just an occasional restart now and then usually for software updates. 

No. PC hardware is designed to be run all the time at max performance. Only thing you really need to check is how high your temps get as if it overheats, there will be auto-shutdown which can mess up things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have an old HP dc5800 core 2 quad running a 24/7 Minecraft server, never had issues. The thing was packed with dust when my dad found it in the e-waste at his work(hospital), so who knows, it might have run all day every day of it's life. The life expectancy of an HDD running 24/7 is about 4 years.

I think fans run much longer since I've seen plenty of old PC's with good fans, never any bad ones.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

3 hours ago, Royboibtw said:

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if I leave my PC on when Im not using it. Would that damage its components?

Roy

It depends. Properly engineered hardware is fine. Cheap, disposable hardware has a poor build quality, and thus the cheaper materials don't last as long.

Like, don't leave your computer screen on, even if you have a screen saver. OLED's will "burn" into the screen like a CRT does, LED backlit screens will get gradually dimmer, CFL backlit screens will have the ballast die and the screen will discolor. Cheap screens will just have the power supply go bang.

I've actually had all chinese-brand monitors die on me, so I won't buy or recommend them. If it were a law that all electronics must have a lifetime warranty, no Chinese-brand electronics would ever find their ways into stores.

Mechanical drives, strangely enough have a better life than SSD's. If you have SSD's in your system, and you're on an OS that obsessively logs things, then you'll wear out the drive pretty darn fast.

Fans will wear out, usually the bearings, though higher quality fans never get this way, unless you have long hair, pets, or a dusty/smokey environment.

Which comes down to the "Should I turn my PC off?" If you want to save energy, yes, but otherwise, a desktop PC is better left on, a laptop is better off in sleep mode rather than turning it off. Sleep mode will put less wear on the battery than leaving it on. 

Thin laptops tend to wear out batteries, usually within two years. Very little can be done about this. I've received new laptops with 10% of the battery life already reduced. 

2 hours ago, TrainFan2019 said:

I've never had any problems doing it. My family computer is on almost 24/7 (because no one likes waiting for it to wake up from sleep) and it still works fine. I put my pc in sleep mode when I'm not using it.

u really need a ssd in 2019

4 hours ago, Royboibtw said:

If you're doing something while the PC is on, like churning through videos or whatnot, then the higher heat they put out will accelerate its degradation over time. But the life span of hardware is such a far out unknown that it's not worth losing sleep over.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Interesting question, with an interesting answer. the only components which may get damaged are the ones in your fans and your power supply, but any good power supply will be fine. The truth is, most components do better when being always on. This is because the constant heating and cooling of your PC power cycling can degrade components, but keeping it on will keep everything around 30 Celsius. While the computer will still heat up more while using it for anything strenuous, the temperature difference between idle and a full load will be less than a full load and off. So yeah, unless a fan starts making noise you should leave it on. Power use is another thing, but computer hardware is pretty efficient now.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

Unless there's a specific reason to leave your PC on, I don't see why you'd do it?

Leaving your PC on does the following:

- wears down mechanical parts (fans and hdd)

- draws power (not a lot, but it does)

- may damage power supply in case of power surge etc.

- makes it possible for hackers or trojans or w/e to tamper with your machine (they can't hack a computer that's powered off).

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I used to be on the vendor side of the business and I've been running my PCs 24/7 for decades.  Keep it clean and you shouldn't have any problems if you have decent hardware.

seems that all my components that failed was do to turning the pc off. maybe voltage spike? i leave my pc on 24/7 too. at the end of the day pc last long enough that your probably upgrade before your pc implodes. but other say everything will die at some point. you can buy the best of the best and it can still die so w/e. my pc uses 30 watts at idal thats everything and my cpu temps  around 50c and gpu 35c

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

My main PC have been running almost 24/7 since 2016 and none of the components have failed. The oldest hard drive in my PC has 26321 hours of power on time (1096 days which is 3 years) and power on count 283.

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

10 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

seems that all my components that failed was do to turning the pc off. maybe voltage spike?

If it was a voltage spike, that sounds more like a shoddy PSU than the act of turning a PC off, considering how many other people can turn their PCs off without issue.

No. In fact, there's an argument for a PC lasting longer if you leave computer running 24/7. The only downside is waste of electricity, everything else is very small "wear and tear", practically irrelevant.

Startup and shut down are the most intensive things a computer faces and the moments where there's the highest risk of components failing. Once everything runs, the chances of failure are much smaller.

If you had fans sit still for long periods of times, it's possible that the oil inside the axis pooled down and it's no longer properly lubricating the fan. When you start it, it takes a few rotations until the fan sucks up the pooled oil and lubes the axis (depending on fan design).

At startup, you have transition from colder temperature to operating temperatures, so for example hdd platters expand a couple of times as they warm up to normal operating temps (the friction with the air inside the drive heats them up, and the pressure inside the mechanical drives needs to balance a couple times etc)

In extreme scenarios... If you're in a country with humidity in air, it's possible over time (days to weeks of no use) for humidity to be absorbed inside chips so when you turn on the circuit board and the chip gets hot very quickly, the water particles inside could turn into gas and blow the chip. 

Water can be absorbed in glass fibers of the circuit board as well, causing shorts between layers.

If the pc runs 24/7 and the motherboard stays warm due to electricity going through it, this doesn't happen.

There's just as high or even higher risk that a mechanical drive will die suddenly when you start the pc, compared to randomly dying while it's running 24/7. With mechanical drives, you also usually notice SMART errors start to pop up when things start to go bad, so you can react right away and backup data.

oops wrong post

Edited by smatts

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

On 12/2/2019 at 8:42 PM, circeseye said:

considering ive never shut my pc off (except for hardware upgrades) over the last 7+ years id say no (full on. i dont use sleep or hibernate). just an occasional restart now and then usually for software updates. 

you had us in the first half

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE