Best Dell XPS 15 Deal?

Go to solution Solved by Andrewf,
12 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Bad cooling. VRM throttling, many quality issues etc

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/19675-im-not-buying-new-xps-15-9570/

7590 doesn't improve much either

I'm getting the new version. It's greatly improved. Have you tested this laptop hands on? Apparently the VRM throttling is easily fixed by undervolting the cpu by 100mv. That's not much and easy to do and it would help with the cooling as well.

Cooling isn't that big of a factor for most people that use it for work considering it will sit on a desk most of the time. Otherwise the overall build quality and design are top notch. Trackpad feels amazing. Screen is beautiful with tiny bezels. Great I/O. I've found nothing that looks and feels half as good. The pros greatly outweigh the few and albeit insignificant cons.

I feel like most problems that people review about are due to user error and laptop abuse. They're not meant for gaming for 6 hours straight with the AC plugged in. That will always degrade a battery and yes, cause it to expand bulge overtime. The review you linked is for an older version and pretty irrelevant. He did seem to have weird issues with ordering which he's not at fault. Although buying from a reseller was a bad move. It could've been used and abused already or just a bad one, hence the screen issues. No manufacturing process is perfect. Resellers don't care.

Bottom line: I disagree. You linked an old review for a different/older model. A rave and critical review can both be found for any device. I think I'll trust the YouTubers who used the model hands on and have significantly more ethos than you or the review you linked. No offence.

This is very important to me as my job will most likely be paying for this. The reason I need help is because I'm overwhelmed and the deals vary with models that seem to be the same but slightly differ in specs. I almost definitely want the Dell XPS 15. It's sleek, it's sexy, and I haven't found anything I like better. Try to change my mind. If not, which deal is best this cyber monday?

I've looked at Amazon, Best Buy, and Dell.com. They seem to have cyber monday deals, but the specs vary around the $1600 range.

What I want:

• Good CPU for editing, graphics, photoshop, 2D & 3D work
  • Decent GPU for work, rendering, light gaming (GTX 1650 would be plenty)
  • 1080p Display is fine. I have no need for 4k, but I'll take it.
  • M.2 SSD at any size (I can just upgrade it myself if possible)
  • 16GB Ram (8GB would be fine if it's a good deal)
  • Under $1700 USD
  • If it's under $1200 I would happily take one at 1080p, 8GB ram, small ssd, etc.

Options:

Any other places I haven't checked? It's also an option to use Amex points for purchase. Any help would be much appreciated.

Don't buy XPS 15, many issues yet expensive

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Don't buy XPS 15, many issues yet expensive

Can you elaborate on that? This is the first I've heard of it having issues. I didn't buy anything yet.

12 hours ago, Andrewf said:

Can you elaborate on that? This is the first I've heard of it having issues. I didn't buy anything yet.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

12 hours ago, genexis_x said:

I'm getting the new version. It's greatly improved. Have you tested this laptop hands on? Apparently the VRM throttling is easily fixed by undervolting the cpu by 100mv. That's not much and easy to do and it would help with the cooling as well.

Cooling isn't that big of a factor for most people that use it for work considering it will sit on a desk most of the time. Otherwise the overall build quality and design are top notch. Trackpad feels amazing. Screen is beautiful with tiny bezels. Great I/O. I've found nothing that looks and feels half as good. The pros greatly outweigh the few and albeit insignificant cons.

I feel like most problems that people review about are due to user error and laptop abuse. They're not meant for gaming for 6 hours straight with the AC plugged in. That will always degrade a battery and yes, cause it to expand bulge overtime. The review you linked is for an older version and pretty irrelevant. He did seem to have weird issues with ordering which he's not at fault. Although buying from a reseller was a bad move. It could've been used and abused already or just a bad one, hence the screen issues. No manufacturing process is perfect. Resellers don't care.

Bottom line: I disagree. You linked an old review for a different/older model. A rave and critical review can both be found for any device. I think I'll trust the YouTubers who used the model hands on and have significantly more ethos than you or the review you linked. No offence.

9 hours ago, Andrewf said:

You linked an old review for a different/older model

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/29145-dell-xps-15-7590-oled-review/

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 12/4/2019 at 10:39 PM, genexis_x said:

Looks great to me. I got the LCD version, not OLED. I already undevolted it and it works just fine. Who complains about laptop audio? Keyboard and touchpad are fine, one of the best touchpads IMO. Thanks for the review. I made a great choice, I feel better now.